Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Trouble fitting new 1911 Grip Safety

I've had a TISAS stainless steel 1911 for a few years and it's always bugged me that all of the small parts on it were not stainless, just blued steel. I finally got around to ordering all of the small parts in stainless and have run into an issue fitting the grip safety. It seems like the safety tang on the grip safety is hitting the trigger bar lever (56). Should that tang fit between the lever and the frame? The original grip safety and the stainless replacement are very different so I can't really tell if the tang on the new one is just too thick or if I have to clearance the tang so it doesn't touch on the forward facing surface. It also seems like it could be the sear spring catching it underneath the safety tang but I can't really tell.

The grip safety fits and moves freely without the other parts installed, so it isn't a fitment issue with the frame itself.

If you want to refer to specific parts feel free to use this image for reference. Exploded 1911 Series 80

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Trouble fitting new 1911 Grip Safety

I have a pair of Taurus PT1911s, both are series 80. I am preparing to go to the IDPA Nationals in a few days, so I'm not about to tear down either one to check for you, but I'd be happy to do so in a week or so after I get back if you're still having an issue.

I haven't replaced a grip safety, so mine fit fine. Is it possible you got a series 70 grip safety? I never considered until now that it could be an issue, but I can now. Who dod you order parts from?

(Chester County)

All of the parts are Wilson Combat parts. There is no designation for 70/80 on the grip safety, I thought that was strictly a S80 thing anyway.

(Cumberland County)

Just a thought to keep in mind. A lot of the import 1911 style pistols are not made to original 1911 govt. specs. You will find minor design changes and dimensional differences. These changes will require hand fitting and modifying 1911 govt. spec. Parts. Some parts flat out just won*t work. Ask me how I know. I*ve tuned up and modified several Taurus and rock island 1911,s and they all needed some work on the new parts for fit and function.

(Chester County)

No, I get it. I expected to do some hand fitting for sure.

I think I've got it figured out. Admittedly my 1911 knowledge is lacking, I thought the 80 series added the grip safety. Turns out this WC grip safety is I guess a 70 series spec, that forward tang will hit an 80series lever. I had to file the thickness down to get it to fit between the lever and the frame which is what I was originally unsure about. After a few minutes of filing it fits in nicely now.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
    No, I get it. I expected to do some hand fitting for sure.

I think I've got it figured out. Admittedly my 1911 knowledge is lacking, I thought the 80 series added the grip safety. Turns out this WC grip safety is I guess a 70 series spec, that forward tang will hit an 80series lever. I had to file the thickness down to get it to fit between the lever and the frame which is what I was originally unsure about. After a few minutes of filing it fits in nicely now.
    The Series 80 change was the plunger and levers that basically created a trigger/drop safety - even if the gun falls directly on the muzzle, if the trigger isn't pulled the firing pin can't go forward from momentum. I personally find some psychological comfort having it there, even if it adds some to the trigger weight.