Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: High Brass

(Berks County)

Default High Brass

What is it and why is my son saying that he needs it to break in a new shotgun? What is High Brass and what is its purpose and does it have a different charge so to speak vs. a regular old round?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Default Re: High Brass

High brass shotgun shells hold more of a powder charge. Most hunting loads will be "high brass". Compare a pheasant load of the same gauge to one for shooting skeet or trap and you will see where it gets its name. A quick search of the internet may prove my statement wrong....

(Berks County)

I looked and it says that high brass is just that, more brass at the base of the shell but honestly makes no diff as the barrel holds the shell so the strength in a shell comes from what surrounds it so really no difference but I guess that is the wrong answer.

I get higher and lower charges but at the end of the day that is what impacts velocity, that and shot weight/size so the length of the brass at the base means nothing I would think.

(Montgomery County)

The brass goes up to say 1/3 of the shell vs low brass it's about 1/8 (no I didn't measure). It's to support the bigger powder charge of buckshot, bigger game loads, slugs. For a semi auto shotgun that needs more power to cycle correctly during break in it's potentially easier to blast 50 rounds of buckshot instead of clearing malfuctions with target loads. Personally I don't believe that break in periods help much, maybe 5% or so. Won't make a night and day difference (IMO).

Also keep in mind even low brass has different power levels... Light target loads vs heavy target loads. Could be the difference of your autoloader cycling or not.

(Delaware County)

When shot shells were paper, the brass height was related to the base wad height so that there wouldn*t be a weak spot in the shell. When shells went to plastic, the brass height no longer mattered, however it was retained as the public was used to the distinction.

Your son just needs hunting type loads 3 or better dram equivalent will be fine.

And trivia* shot shell brass is actually steel.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    When shot shells were paper, the brass height was related to the base wad height so that there wouldn*t be a weak spot in the shell. When shells went to plastic, the brass height no longer mattered, however it was retained as the public was used to the distinction.

Your son just needs hunting type loads 3 or better dram equivalent will be fine.

And trivia* shot shell brass is actually steel.
    As soon as I posted I thought it might not be to actually support the charge.... Good info here

(Berks County)

Yup you all answered it. It is a semi auto and they said 200 rd break in. All makes sense now. Thanks!

(Berks County)

I picked up a VR80 and it would jam like crazy. Ran 150 rounds of 3" steel shot waterfowl loads through it and now it cycles target load no problem.
    I still have a bunch of those 3" waterfowl steel shot if he is interested in it.

As said High Brass mattered when we only had paper hulls.. I've taken autos out of the box, given a good cleaning and broken 50 clays. The cleaning is needed. Shoot what ever you want, but you don't need to shoot hot all the time.
    20 years USN - OSC