Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: How many spare mags do you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    One in the gun, one on the belt with a flashlight.
    You can never have too much ammo. That said, the second mag is more for addressing malfunction issues and topping off the gun if a shooting has happened.
    My spare is more of a ward against malfunctions than more ammo.

If I'm going someplace more dicey I'll switch my gun out (to something with more capacity) before carrying more mags for my usual daily carry guns.
    F*#K THE ATF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Serious question, why all the ammo?

I pocket carry my p365 with the 10 rd mag.

Im not a hunted man, nor am i out hunting(ie police/guard type work). So i cant really see being in a protracted firefight. More than likely, wrong place-wrong time situations are more realistic, think robberies/domestics. But even in a terroristic type attack scenario where you are a potential victim, are you expecting a trained squad, or the more likely situation of a single actor who is mentally unstable?
    I tend to have this philosophy.

If the carry gun is a short barreled P365 I am not going to repell the Taliban with it no matter how many magazines I have

The purpose of the P365 is to let me get out of a situation

It is not the gun you want in a protracted firefight because you will lose. If you are firing the P365 (or similar sub compact 9mm) you should be simultaneously getting out of that area. And if you are getting out of the immediate area the P365 won't continue to be effective with it's limited range, especially when your heart is racing and the world is a blur.

I don't care who you are at the air conditioned indoor range. You aren't laying down accurate fire at 30 yards with a P365 in a real world life or death situation. The time spent changing mags is better spent running away.

If I need more than 10 rounds to feel comfortable in an area I should be carrying an AR-15. And if I need to carry an AR-15 5o feel comfortable going someplace.... I'm not going to go to that place.

I like the P365. It is a great platform for sustainable all day comfortable concealed carry
    (aside from that abrasive grip that gets a little scratchy on the skin) and effective at ending a threat within 10 yards and giving me a chance to evacuate to a safer area. But I accept that this is what it is. It is not an AK-47 and can't do what an AK-47 can do.

If you are changing mags on a P365 you are already in a losing situation.

Of course everything I said above assumed the first 10 rounds fire properly. If the first mag fails/jams/falls out/has bullets loaded backwards/otherwise malfunctions..... having the backup mag for shot number 2 before you have had a chance to evacuate will make you feel real smart in a hurry.

But you have to decide what the odds of that happening are vs how much you prefer not to lug around the extra weight on your belt.

(Montgomery County)

one

Usually 1.

Unless I'm carrying 2 guns.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

I almost always carry an extra reload. May it be a mag or speed strip for the wheel gun.
    ΑΣΦ

I carry a NY reload. While in my truck I have several spare Glock mags, as the is my primary weapon. My HD has no extra mag in it because, it would be impractical to pull over and reload it. Also
    because people check out bikes so often, no need for prying eyes.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

normally no spare but 17 rounds, if i know i'm going to a questionable area i will carry 1 spare
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I tend to have this philosophy.

If the carry gun is a short barreled P365 I am not going to repell the Taliban with it no matter how many magazines I have

The purpose of the P365 is to let me get out of a situation

It is not the gun you want in a protracted firefight because you will lose. If you are firing the P365 (or similar sub compact 9mm) you should be simultaneously getting out of that area. And if you are getting out of the immediate area the P365 won't continue to be effective with it's limited range, especially when your heart is racing and the world is a blur.

I don't care who you are at the air conditioned indoor range. You aren't laying down accurate fire at 30 yards with a P365 in a real world life or death situation. The time spent changing mags is better spent running away.

If I need more than 10 rounds to feel comfortable in an area I should be carrying an AR-15. And if I need to carry an AR-15 5o feel comfortable going someplace.... I'm not going to go to that place.

I like the P365. It is a great platform for sustainable all day comfortable concealed carry
    (aside from that abrasive grip that gets a little scratchy on the skin) and effective at ending a threat within 10 yards and giving me a chance to evacuate to a safer area. But I accept that this is what it is. It is not an AK-47 and can't do what an AK-47 can do.

If you are changing mags on a P365 you are already in a losing situation.

Of course everything I said above assumed the first 10 rounds fire properly. If the first mag fails/jams/falls out/has bullets loaded backwards/otherwise malfunctions..... having the backup mag for shot number 2 before you have had a chance to evacuate will make you feel real smart in a hurry.

But you have to decide what the odds of that happening are vs how much you prefer not to lug around the extra weight on your belt.
    None of that is true. I've seen James Bond taking out entire teams of bad guy henchmen inside a volcano with nothing but a Walther PPK.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

none to two, depends on how i'm carrying.
    usually it's just a full-size in a safariland paddle.
    sometimes its a compact in a bellyband with a spare.

having a spare in case of malfunction is wise.
    don't want to carry too much ammo and become a target for theft though. it is big $ now.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Elk County)

I don't carry spare mags.

I carry spare guns.

(Channeling my inner Stephen Wright)

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; September 8th, 2021 at 09:59 PM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast