Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anyone do Local reloading Eastern PA

Curious if there’s anyone around here that does low development if I supply brass and bullets. Looking to get a 241 green salad loaded up and developed for my 300 PRC. Don’t feel like paying for shipping to UNKNOWN Munitions.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Anyone do Local reloading Eastern PA

Don't know anyone local to you, but I would reccomend Peterson Brass in Cranberry Twp, PA. They are well known in the PRC world for their brass and ammo.

Btw I am not affiliated with them by any means other than my long range buddies all use their stuff.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

Its technically illegal and generally bad liability wise to reload for others so I doubt you will get many offers. And it takes multiple trips to the range (with a chrony) and multiple choices of powder to find the perfect load.

What kinds of groups are you getting with your commercial loads? Having someone else develop a load may not get you the same performance and it will not be cheaper.

DIY. You have to start reloading for yourself. Luckily Lee sells the dies for cheap and you can get a basic Lee setup for a couple hundred and the kits are available now. By the time you load a few hundred rounds you kit is paid for. Its just a beginners setup but it works to start your way down the rabbit hole.

(Lancaster County)

cheeseburger1976
    What Delkal said exactly, I have not bought factory loaded centerfire ammo since shortly after Obama's first coronation. I started cold turkey with a Lee 1000 progressive press set up for .40S&W bought here on the classifieds for $100. lots of folks will profess that a progressive is not for a beginner, that's a bunch of BS. A progressive can be used as a single stage at any time just bypassing and simply ignoring the other stations. I work up my loads this way for the first 50 or 100 then when confident slap on the case feeder and rock.
    I have since added a six station turret which is dedicated to the .41 magnum and a single stage for the .308, 30-06 and 30-30. the progressive does my .40's 45 ACP and .223. I retool as needed only if i have a run of 1000 cases or more for a particular caliber

all of my presses have been bought used at yard sales or E-Bay, my dies although are all purchased new and almost exclusively Lee, I get very good results. No reason to buy volumes of reloading manuals as the powder /bullet manufacturers have very good websites containing great data and information

Take your time...read,research,read and research again, if you think you may have made an error STOP and pull everything loaded and start over ( keep batches small at first )

It can be very rewarding when touching off your first batch, stick to mild loads, I never go past the halfway point on any given load data, if I need more power I just go to the next caliber. Although volume brass prep is about as fun as a root canal without anesthesia

good luck and be safe

I know that’s ultimately what I need to do, I just figured this was the worst possible timing to try to begin reloading and finding components.
    The 300 PRC shoots good with the factory 225 HORNADAY, however I wanted to try to load some of Patriot Valleys in house solids (241grain) which the rifle was built for.
    I appreciate your advice and I agree it’s time to learn the process on my own.