Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: How many AR's do I need?

So, I passed this one up, have a spare (3 for me) and 1 for each member of the family, plus a few purpose driven ones, and a 9mm ... But I'm sure I'll kick myself because you know, "buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep..." Been an interesting thread with good responses - thanks everyone !
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

I didn't read all these but I'm going to fire this topic back up again in case some lonely gentleman reads this in years to come.

-10.5" or less AR's are cool but realistically not super useful (exception 300BO)

-14.5"-20" AR's offer far better ballistics and accuracy.

-I highly recommend instead of owning 2-3 "budget" guns you invest in a good 16" workhorse from mid to high tier brands (BCM, SOLGW, Noveske, Geissele, KAC, LWRC, LMT, DD, Colt, etc.)

-Save your money for what you really want, if you buy a standard m4 clone with an FSB and A2 furniture you will spend a few hundred more changing things around. You would have been better off saving and waiting or building from parts.

-On the same note of building, factory guns tend to be put together better than you in the basement with a vice. (speaking from experience too many beers deep sending detents into the stratosphere for a penny)

much love!

-C

AR's are field guns. Guns that are for use in the field. Used to defend your person in the field, or your home in approach of an enemy. I do not recommend an AR for home defense inside the home.

Home defense inside the home is best suited for an appropriate cqb gun. My personal preference is a PS90, preferably in sbr. A good alternative is the cs scorpion evo s3, either with brace or sbr and folding stock. One big reason for this is size, you can easily maneuver in doorways or hallways when defending against your assailant. Another big reason is, if you shoot off 5.56 or 300blk or any other rifle caliper in a hallway, you're doing some serious damage to your hearing. And that's forever damage. Shit does not come back. Alternatively, 5.7x28 or 9mm has a good chance of damaging your hearing, but it's not a guarantee.

That's not to say that an AR is not an excellent platform. But when you're counting, you should be counting based on the most likely scenario for the gun. I have ONE p90 and ONE scorpion, because I am most likely person to be defending the house in a cqb situation. I have 2 cqb guns because ammo diversity. 5.7x28 is great, but 9mm will be round after all of us are gone. Alternatively, defending the property, from various positions, there's one AR for each member of the household, and some spares.

Save yourself the headache and pick 5.56 or 300blk in advance. I wouldn't mix the two. Look at your land that you are defending, and how far your line of sight is. Due to tree's and hills, I'm about 500 yards at best, typically 200-300 yards. I don't need something capable of 3 moa at 1000 yards, simply because I can't see that far.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    AR's are field guns. Guns that are for use in the field. Used to defend your person in the field, or your home in approach of an enemy. I do not recommend an AR for home defense inside the home.

Home defense inside the home is best suited for an appropriate cqb gun. My personal preference is a PS90, preferably in sbr. A good alternative is the cs scorpion evo s3, either with brace or sbr and folding stock. One big reason for this is size, you can easily maneuver in doorways or hallways when defending against your assailant. Another big reason is, if you shoot off 5.56 or 300blk or any other rifle caliper in a hallway, you're doing some serious damage to your hearing. And that's forever damage. Shit does not come back. Alternatively, 5.7x28 or 9mm has a good chance of damaging your hearing, but it's not a guarantee.

That's not to say that an AR is not an excellent platform. But when you're counting, you should be counting based on the most likely scenario for the gun. I have ONE p90 and ONE scorpion, because I am most likely person to be defending the house in a cqb situation. I have 2 cqb guns because ammo diversity. 5.7x28 is great, but 9mm will be round after all of us are gone. Alternatively, defending the property, from various positions, there's one AR for each member of the household, and some spares.

Save yourself the headache and pick 5.56 or 300blk in advance. I wouldn't mix the two. Look at your land that you are defending, and how far your line of sight is. Due to tree's and hills, I'm about 500 yards at best, typically 200-300 yards. I don't need something capable of 3 moa at 1000 yards, simply because I can't see that far.
    I wouldn't say theres not a reason to go with an AR-Pistol or SBR for home defense, with regards to hearing. I'm building an AR pistol in .300BLK that I plan to use subsonic rounds and a suppressor on. Should still have the size that would make easy to maneuver around the house with, and keep the sound minimal.

This of course is all completely subjective, and should be based around your specific needs, what you can afford, and what you're comfortable with operating. I do agree that running an un-silenced .223 in the house would probably hurt like absolute hell. YMMV
    -Brandon

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Unless you are on fire, or drowning, you don't have too many.
    it is you can't have too much ammo in less you are on fire or swimming

I think it depends whether you can resell or not (serialized or not)- then it’s just an investment eh?

But in a perfect world I’d like to have one regular rifle, one pistol, and one with a shotgun conversion

Maybe one more just in case one of the above has to be replaced or repaired

(Allegheny County)

Re: How many AR's do I need?

How many can you afford ?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    Re: How many AR's do I need?

How many can you afford ?
    Bingo </thread>
    -Brandon

(Allegheny County)

I dunno... pretty sure I have more than I can afford.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

I think I have 7. Granted 3 are just "spares" that have never been fired. These days with so many options in size and caliber it's hard to say 1 and done. Everyone should have at least one premium AR, and one beater AR.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast