Pasting the email I sent to the manager of the Newark, DE Cabela's. Still have not heard back in 5 days. Horrible experience. Everyone knows Cabela's is slow - I budgeted 1 hour for this reason. I thought I was clever going to DE to avoid tax but there's no such thing as free lunch. My online order pickup was over 2 hours on a weekday.

Yesterday at the Newark store I had a very negative experience when picking up a firearm purchased online and wanted to provide some feedback.

I arrived at about 2:30 pm and immediately checked into the queue at the firearms section. There was only one gentleman ahead of me so this experience was not based on number of customers or how busy the store was. I then proceeded to stand around and wait for nearly 90 minutes to be helped. There were no Outfitters around to speak of and the ones that did come and go did not seem to care at all that myself and other customers were waiting for a significant period of time. (The one exception was a nice gentleman named Fred who was in training thus couldn't process my pickup but nonetheless was the only Outfitter who seemed the least bit bothered at the situation and tried to help).

Other customers who checked in after me were upset too and either waited or just left saying they were unlikely to return to the store.

Finally after basically begging to be helped I started the computer application and completed my part in about 2 minutes. After more waiting to track down someone else for a secondary check, my background check was completed in 20 seconds. I did not require a demonstration as I was familiar with the product nor did I handle any other firearms. As you see, the only factor in the over 2 hour process was lack of staff at the counter.

This was quite disappointing since I've been a Cabela's customer for years and drove over an hour to the store. Additionally, the shotgun I purchased was over $1550, not an inexpensive deal. I ended up being late for an engagement that I thought I had plenty of time to arrive at.

I wanted to provide this information since management may not always have visibility to these types of situations. As of right now I do not plan on returning to the store for any additional business. I welcome any feedback from you and would love to hear back.