Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Cabela's Newark DE

Pasting the email I sent to the manager of the Newark, DE Cabela's. Still have not heard back in 5 days. Horrible experience. Everyone knows Cabela's is slow - I budgeted 1 hour for this reason. I thought I was clever going to DE to avoid tax but there's no such thing as free lunch. My online order pickup was over 2 hours on a weekday.

Yesterday at the Newark store I had a very negative experience when picking up a firearm purchased online and wanted to provide some feedback.

I arrived at about 2:30 pm and immediately checked into the queue at the firearms section. There was only one gentleman ahead of me so this experience was not based on number of customers or how busy the store was. I then proceeded to stand around and wait for nearly 90 minutes to be helped. There were no Outfitters around to speak of and the ones that did come and go did not seem to care at all that myself and other customers were waiting for a significant period of time. (The one exception was a nice gentleman named Fred who was in training thus couldn't process my pickup but nonetheless was the only Outfitter who seemed the least bit bothered at the situation and tried to help).

Other customers who checked in after me were upset too and either waited or just left saying they were unlikely to return to the store.

Finally after basically begging to be helped I started the computer application and completed my part in about 2 minutes. After more waiting to track down someone else for a secondary check, my background check was completed in 20 seconds. I did not require a demonstration as I was familiar with the product nor did I handle any other firearms. As you see, the only factor in the over 2 hour process was lack of staff at the counter.

This was quite disappointing since I've been a Cabela's customer for years and drove over an hour to the store. Additionally, the shotgun I purchased was over $1550, not an inexpensive deal. I ended up being late for an engagement that I thought I had plenty of time to arrive at.

I wanted to provide this information since management may not always have visibility to these types of situations. As of right now I do not plan on returning to the store for any additional business. I welcome any feedback from you and would love to hear back.

Default Re: Cabela's Newark DE

Tagged for later use.

(Berks County)

I had the same experience at the Hamburg,Pa. store last week. I gave a very bad review. 3 hrs. to buy a gun. But Cabela's has been like that as long as i've been going there.
    bandsmoyer

Like all retail businesses and eateries..........they are probably having trouble getting and retaining employees. Although Cabela's has always been very slow in dealing with arms purchases, its only exasperated by the lack of folks who won't work or who actually have better paying jobs at Walmart for instance, than at a Cabela's or a Mom & Pop store that can't match what others pay. (Or who won't).
    Customer service is always the first thing affected by a business's cut backs and it's one of the most important pieces of a business model. I'll buy any firearms at a LGS or online sent to a LGS. I'll buy from a Bass Pro Shop or the like for supplies when or if they go on sale. Expectant parents can have a baby in a hospital and be home faster than Cabela's can process some firearms purchases!!!!!!!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Monroe County)

LOL
    Why I do not try to compete with them.
    Someone around Easton lowballs a gun on here cause of them.
    Ok save $25-50 by taking the "abandon all hope highway" that may come to a hours long standstill due to a multi truck to stand around 3 hours to be cust #49998573652
    -or- drive 30-45 min and have it waiting for you with the paperwork ready. Sit on the couch and BS about guns while filling out the papers, only wait is on PICS.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bandsmoyer@yahoo.com View Post
    I had the same experience at the Hamburg,Pa. store last week. I gave a very bad review. 3 hrs. to buy a gun. But Cabela's has been like that as long as i've been going there.
    I've been at Hamburg when it's taken awhile but that was because they were busy (maybe a weekend or a panic buy session, I can't recall) so they got a pass. This time was due to pure ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    LOL
    Why I do not try to compete with them.
    Someone around Easton lowballs a gun on here cause of them.
    Ok save $25-50 by taking the "abandon all hope highway" that may come to a hours long standstill due to a multi truck to stand around 3 hours to be cust #49998573652
    -or- drive 30-45 min and have it waiting for you with the paperwork ready. Sit on the couch and BS about guns while filling out the papers, only wait is on PICS.
    Yup. About 20 minutes in I remembered how much of an idiot I was and that I should have went to my local guy who is fantastic (Straight Shooters in Perkiomenville) but this was a tough to find item and they had it on sale. Plus no tax, shipping or transfer. Plus the ability to use 7% off gift cards from Raise.com. Of course it ended up not being worth the astronomical time commitment.

In the past active junky has given the full cash back on firearms and using the other above methods with a price match at Hamburg I've literally gotten a Beretta APX for close to $200 OTD and a 92X for about $400.

(Bucks County)

I played hookey on Monday. Took a ride to Cabela's and Gander RV. Admittedly a bot off topic...in Hamburg. I hadn't been to Cabela's in a long time. As has been my experience in the past, the people were nice...and I left empty handed. Nothing in particular I wanted or needed. I also checked out the new Gander RV across the street. Won't waste my time with that again.

The one time I got a rifle at Cabela's the PICS took hours. At the time, they apparently used email to get the approvals. Between that and going from person to person to person to complete my purchase took away the charm of buying a firearm there.

I can't see myself making the trip again to go to Cabelas. I enjoy wandering around...but unless I am in the immediate area...I'm done.
    Last edited by MattMPA; September 1st, 2021 at 08:06 PM.

(Montgomery County)

At least Hamburg has the displays to enjoy while you waste time. Newark doesn't have much of anything.

(Philadelphia County)

Cabelas is well known for their extremely drawn out and time consuming process for firearns purchases and at this point I don't see why anybody even puts up with them at all and simply dose business elsewhere.
    I have been there before and wasn't all that impressed with their prices or their selection.The place was packed though.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

I used to live near Newark (Christiana) Cabelas and bought a fair number of guns there.

Yes it has gotten significantly longer in the last few years. For all the reasons listed above.

Made worse because everyone that gets denied, somehow seems to think their NICS will magically go through at Cabelas

I would recommend, especially for a pickup, you find the store manager when you get to an hour.
    She always demonstrated the extra effort to see that I got service. That's why I continued to go back.

YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast