Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Luger

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Luger

There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Philadelphia County)

as has been said, you can still make out the 6 on the receiver, so the date would be 1936, that is the first year the S/42 was openly year marked
    1934 had a K code stamped for the date, and 1935 had a G code stamp, the S/42 was the code for Mauser production, this was done because they were manufactured for the German military in violation of the treaty of Versailles, and against the terms of surrender at the end of World War One

as far as value, and use as a decent shooter, if it has matching serial numbers on all parts, it should be a good shooter $1200 - $1600 is fair, not great but fair
    the Luger to avoid are the Russian capture ones that have been on the market for $800 - $900, they were "rebuilt" by Russian arsenals, they just took batches of them apart and dumped the parts in bins, then reassembled pistols with no concern for keeping matched parts together,
    in typical German fashion each P08 Luger was carefully hand fitted, so mixing and matching parts leads to function and reliability issues
    a number matching Luger is a great shooter, a mixmaster is nothing but headaches
    Bubba because I like projects, Fudd because I prefer blued steel & walnut

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I never heard of a grip cracking just from shooting a pistol. But I have heard of the "million dollar chip" that has screwed up many thousands of Lugers. Be careful.
    It already has that chip. I saw a video of a guy explaining how it will happen to any luger and he had it happen to him while shooting. The mag release cutout is too thin and they chip out on the checkering and wood grain.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Well, here's a first-person account of one. Me. A friend was a reloader, and reloaded his .44 magnum ammo. We were out in Center county somewhere, woodchucking. He brought out the revolver and fired it a few shots, then asked if I wanted to try it. Sure. He warned that the loads were "a little hot". I fired it, and felt a bit of stinging in my palm. I grabbed the gun with my left hand and released the right. The grip was now in three pieces. Good-humoredly, I informed him, "you're insane. Next time bring the wheels."
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123