Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Luger

(Cumberland County)

Default Luger

So I'm debating one. It's S/42 Mauser probably early to mid 1930's. Will come with papers stating it was a Spanish Lt. Col.'s gun and it was his Fathers who was in the Spanish Civil War and picked it up from a dead officer. Sucky part is the old Waffen/German markings have been matrix'd out And I'm still not sure how it got Nazi markings when WWII was after Spanish Civil War? Maybe they were just German markings matrix'd out? I believe Hitler also helped out during Spanish Civil War and sent arms in so......
    But still cool and part of the guns history.
    Any Luger lovers out there know what value/fair price would be on it? It's in great overall shape.
    Last edited by cruzans; August 30th, 2021 at 08:25 PM.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Luger

The story is worth less than the piece of paper it is written on.......And the matrixed out part bothers me too. Was it forced matched? Vopo?

Need some pics.

(Lehigh County)

Buy the gun, not the story. Best advice I ever got.

(Lehigh County)

The Spanish civil war started in 1936 a few years after the Nazi rise to power. They used it to test some of their war tactics... supported Franco and his facists.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

Just crop out your toes and post the pics.
    We know you already bought it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Not sure what "matrix'd out" means. If it's a defacing of any of the stamping, it drops the value to shooter category.
    How's the finish? Serial numbers match? Been rebarreled?

Spitballing, I'm not an expert by any means or even a rabid enthusiast, around $1500, sorta, maybe.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Just crop out your toes and post the pics.
    We know you already bought it.
    No truer words have ever been spoken.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

So the dying guy's last act was defacing his luger. Nice.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Monroe County)

If the story is true, the gentleman that got it off a dead soldier, or his son (the Lt. Col), or perhaps even the Spanish army that both were in, at some point most likely one of them X-ed out any German/Nazi markings since at the time many throughout Europe were anti-Hitler/anti-Nazi. I doubt it is a recent bubba doing and these markings are part of its history. There are the purists who will "poo-poo" it because of the stamped out markings (and pay only bottom $), but there may be a select few who actually appreciate the history that this gun was liberated and "cleaned" of Nazi markings (and wouldn't mind paying a decent price for it).

The X-ed out markings do affect its collectability and value. The exact value will be difficult to find without going to a few reputable dealers who deal with old German firearms like these. If there is provenance (paperwork/correspondence/proof) of the story, that will help retain its value. Otherwise, as someone stated above, buy it cheap as a shooter otherwise you're paying extra for an un-documented story.

This is a great site: https://pre98.com/product-category/luger-pistols/page/2. They deal specifically in WWI and WWII firearms and memorabilia. They have a section devoted to specifically Lugers and you can get a sense of their value. Perhaps contact them, show some pics and get their opinion on its value and see if this is something you want to spend the money on - or at least give you info to negotiate a fair price.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all, yes, I'm not going to pass on it. From what I have been told, it was picked up off the battlefield in Spain in the late 30's and has been in the Lt. Colonial's family ever since. I have heard Hitler sent arms into Spain during the civil war so maybe that's when the German markings were stamped out? Maybe years later they were? I'm not quite sure. I am getting it directly from the owner via my friend over there. The owner is documenting history for me/my friend so that to me is the "neat factor" not a "value adder". I agreed on a price which I believe is below "shooter" grade so I am very happy. I will post pics here in a minute. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Badenov View Post
    If the story is true, the gentleman that got it off a dead soldier, or his son (the Lt. Col), or perhaps even the Spanish army that both were in, at some point most likely one of them X-ed out any German/Nazi markings since at the time many throughout Europe were anti-Hitler/anti-Nazi. I doubt it is a recent bubba doing and these markings are part of its history. There are the purists who will "poo-poo" it because of the stamped out markings (and pay only bottom $), but there may be a select few who actually appreciate the history that this gun was liberated and "cleaned" of Nazi markings (and wouldn't mind paying a decent price for it).

The X-ed out markings do affect its collectability and value. The exact value will be difficult to find without going to a few reputable dealers who deal with old German firearms like these. If there is provenance (paperwork/correspondence/proof) of the story, that will help retain its value. Otherwise, as someone stated above, buy it cheap as a shooter otherwise you're paying extra for an un-documented story.

This is a great site: https://pre98.com/product-category/luger-pistols/page/2. They deal specifically in WWI and WWII firearms and memorabilia. They have a section devoted to specifically Lugers and you can get a sense of their value. Perhaps contact them, show some pics and get their opinion on its value and see if this is something you want to spend the money on - or at least give you info to negotiate a fair price.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast