Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default 308 Israeli 1919A4 Belt Fed Build

Last fall I put together this .308 semi auto 1919A4. Here is a write up, better late than never!

I used to own a 1919A4 and sold it to fund night vision. I eventually regretted selling the 1919 because it’s a cool gun to own and display on my jeep for parades. I didn’t build my first one, and given my skills and abilities having advanced over time I decided to build one this time, and of course to save a buck.

I found an Israeli .308 1919A4 parts kit second hand at a good price. It looked something like this stock photo.

The deal for the parts kit also included an 80% right side plate (the part that is the serialized component) and a set of rivets from Burnt Capital.

I already had an 80% right side plate, which was from a different vendor, more on this later.

I got a semi auto trigger kit from KMP Classic Arms and the fun began.

First step is to modify the internals for semi auto. I machined the bolt’s sear slot wider so it only accepts the semi auto sear.

Then I modified the trigger frame, as well as the accelerator piece, and assembled the semi auto trigger.

The three main internal parts (bolt, barrel extension, and trigger frame) were milled to clear the denial island on the semi right side plate once they were converted to semi auto internals. A carbide end mill was required to machine these hard parts.

The two right side plates were manufactured differently as 80% complete. One had most of the holes present, but was not milled to the final thickness and lacked the slots to engage the other receiver parts. The other right side plate lacked holes, but had the slots and finished thickness. I chose to finish the one lacking holes by using the plate with holes as a template, saving some time. I only had to locate and drill a few holes using prints that are readily available.

Ready for rivets!

Rather than buy or borrow the riveting tools I made due with some improvised items. I cut the end off an air tool chisel, chucked it in the lathe, and used a ball nose end mill to give it a dome for forming the rivet heads. For backing up the rivets on the inside I used some square stock and bolts to use like jacks. The bolts just needed the heads machined flat on the mill. Once I was happy with the receiver alignment I got to hammering and air riveting.

Ignore the green barrel shroud, that was a paint color test.

I tinkered with the spray paint some more and after some attempts I’m currently ok with the paint. I might blast it and start over. Here it is ready for test fire.

I grabbed an A6 stock, bipod, and carry handle package from a sale at Apex to shoot from a bench, or my farm car’s hood.

The trigger felt better than most 1919s I’ve shot and the sights needed little adjustment. Once I was happy with the headspace adjustment I had some fun and haven’t shot it since! It’s honestly not that exciting to shoot, and it just exists to complete my jeep’s look for parades, which I do regularly. I finished it just in time for last year’s local Veteran’s Day Parade. You may see me out if you attend a parade in SW PA.

Recently I grabbed a reproduction tripod set from Sarco. I need to drag this back to my range and try it out. The tripod seems ok for the price. The T&E is a little sloppy but it will work.

I don’t have the exact numbers, but a year ago or so this was a substantially cheaper alternative to buying a built semi 1919. I think the total investment was around $2k. Currently parts kits prices are up and so are finished gun values, so it may still be cheaper to build but at an increased cost.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 308 Israeli 1919A4 Belt Fed Build

wow. you do indeed earn your screen name.

Now thats what I'm talking about. Great job. Good to see karma is still in biz.

(Allegheny County)

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Had some trouble feeding ammo, a few fine and then failure to feed the belt, and repeat. I looked at the trunnion protector insert and it had very heavy wear despite the low round count. FYI to those that don’t know the metal trunnion protectors are used to keep metal links from wearing grooves in the top of the front trunnion and they are not part of the original design. I removed mine and found that the gun fed rounds perfectly, so it looks like I am in the camp of people who don’t have the clearance to run one. Oh well. If I wear a groove I think I can TIG repair it without tearing apart the gun. I will be lucky to afford enough 308 to wear it out!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Last fall I put together this .308 semi auto 1919A4. Here is a write up, better late than never!

I used to own a 1919A4 and sold it to fund night vision. I eventually regretted selling the 1919 because it*s a cool gun to own and display on my jeep for parades. I didn*t build my first one, and given my skills and abilities having advanced over time I decided to build one this time, and of course to save a buck.

I found an Israeli .308 1919A4 parts kit second hand at a good price. It looked something like this stock photo.

The deal for the parts kit also included an 80% right side plate (the part that is the serialized component) and a set of rivets from Burnt Capital.

I already had an 80% right side plate, which was from a different vendor, more on this later.

I got a semi auto trigger kit from KMP Classic Arms and the fun began.

First step is to modify the internals for semi auto. I machined the bolt*s sear slot wider so it only accepts the semi auto sear.

Then I modified the trigger frame, as well as the accelerator piece, and assembled the semi auto trigger.

The three main internal parts (bolt, barrel extension, and trigger frame) were milled to clear the denial island on the semi right side plate once they were converted to semi auto internals. A carbide end mill was required to machine these hard parts.

The two right side plates were manufactured differently as 80% complete. One had most of the holes present, but was not milled to the final thickness and lacked the slots to engage the other receiver parts. The other right side plate lacked holes, but had the slots and finished thickness. I chose to finish the one lacking holes by using the plate with holes as a template, saving some time. I only had to locate and drill a few holes using prints that are readily available.

Ready for rivets!

Rather than buy or borrow the riveting tools I made due with some improvised items. I cut the end off an air tool chisel, chucked it in the lathe, and used a ball nose end mill to give it a dome for forming the rivet heads. For backing up the rivets on the inside I used some square stock and bolts to use like jacks. The bolts just needed the heads machined flat on the mill. Once I was happy with the receiver alignment I got to hammering and air riveting.

Ignore the green barrel shroud, that was a paint color test.

I tinkered with the spray paint some more and after some attempts I*m currently ok with the paint. I might blast it and start over. Here it is ready for test fire.

I grabbed an A6 stock, bipod, and carry handle package from a sale at Apex to shoot from a bench, or my farm car*s hood.

The trigger felt better than most 1919s I*ve shot and the sights needed little adjustment. Once I was happy with the headspace adjustment I had some fun and haven*t shot it since! It*s honestly not that exciting to shoot, and it just exists to complete my jeep*s look for parades, which I do regularly. I finished it just in time for last year*s local Veteran*s Day Parade. You may see me out if you attend a parade in SW PA.

Recently I grabbed a reproduction tripod set from Sarco. I need to drag this back to my range and try it out. The tripod seems ok for the price. The T&E is a little sloppy but it will work.

I don*t have the exact numbers, but a year ago or so this was a substantially cheaper alternative to buying a built semi 1919. I think the total investment was around $2k. Currently parts kits prices are up and so are finished gun values, so it may still be cheaper to build but at an increased cost.
    Excellent job Sir, you are a true craftsman.

Didn't you sell one a few years ago cause you were bored with it? Lol

(Luzerne County)

That*s pretty cool, you did an excellent job!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Didn't you sell one a few years ago cause you were bored with it? Lol
    I sold my first one to a friend to fund my first PVS14 purchase. He still has it. That one I paid to have built from a kit. Now I can say I have one I built. Collecting parts for another build as I see them at fair prices so I can have an A4 and an A6.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I sold my first one to a friend to fund my first PVS14 purchase. He still has it. That one I paid to have built from a kit. Now I can say I have one I built. Collecting parts for another build as I see them at fair prices so I can have an A4 and an A6.
    I should have got the kit back when they were 700. They are cool but I'd rather have a mag58/ m240 for what the 1919 costs now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast