Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clinton County)

Default South Carolina Question

I know SC doesn’t have reciprocity with PA. The family and I are traveling to Myrtle Beach for vacation and stopping in Richmond overnight to break it up. I’m looking for feedback from anyone who knows SC law. I know I can’t conceal carry but what ability do I have with regards to transporting a firearm into the state while on vacation? Can I keep it secure with the magazine in a different part of the car? What about storing it while I am on vacation. Sorry for all the questions, just never have vacationed in SC.

Thanks in advance and be safe.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: South Carolina Question

Glovebox and console carry are legal so long as they latch upon closure. You also legal to carry the firearm between the vehicle and temporary abode(motel room).

SECTION 16-23-20.
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Glovebox and console carry are legal so long as they latch upon closure. You also legal to carry the firearm between the vehicle and temporary abode(motel room).

SECTION 16-23-20.
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or
    This sums it up. You'll be good for your trip and will only have to unload and store per FOPA in Maryland if you're passing through.

www.handgunlaw.us will tell you about Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. Notably, North Carolina is a must inform state - don't remember about South Carolina.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GruGrux515 View Post
    I know SC doesn*t have reciprocity with PA. The family and I are traveling to Myrtle Beach for vacation and stopping in Richmond overnight to break it up. I*m looking for feedback from anyone who knows SC law. I know I can*t conceal carry but what ability do I have with regards to transporting a firearm into the state while on vacation? Can I keep it secure with the magazine in a different part of the car? What about storing it while I am on vacation. Sorry for all the questions, just never have vacationed in SC.

Thanks in advance and be safe.
    The Outer Banks is really nice.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    This sums it up. You'll be good for your trip and will only have to unload and store per FOPA in Maryland if you're passing through.

www.handgunlaw.us will tell you about Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. Notably, North Carolina is a must inform state - don't remember about South Carolina.
    Just for clarification for SC, I’m able to have it loaded in the glove box/center console? Does the glove box have to be locked? And since I am staying in SC and not just passing through can I lawfully take it from car to condo and store it there? Thanks

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GruGrux515 View Post
    Just for clarification for SC, I*m able to have it loaded in the glove box/center console? Does the glove box have to be locked? And since I am staying in SC and not just passing through can I lawfully take it from car to condo and store it there? Thanks
    Yes No Yes
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Beaver County)

Ditto yes no yes