Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Re: Reloading 44Mag for a H&R Handi-Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    A magnum primer may help and would be needed for Unique loadings. Unique is so fluffy that I may no get much velocity from it even in the long barrel.
    Not my experience with it. High end load of Unique with standard primer can get 1200 fps. easily in a rifle barrel.
    Hey all, should we mention twist rate and bullets in the 44 mag rifles?
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

If you are getting dirty loads with H110 you are way under max. You need a full to preferably slightly compressed load of H110. Basically (famous last words) I don't think you can ever put too much H110/ W296 in a straight walled pistol cartridge. I often have problems reaching the old books loads in my hot loaded 45 Colt.
    I used data for Jacketed 240gr bullets from both Vol 6 and 8 of Nosler's books and Lyman's 49th edition. Then looked at Hornady's 4th edition under rifle data for 240gr Jacketed where H110 and IMR4227 at 22gr are both low to mid-end loads but near a full case. I did notice that Nosler lists both powders I used as compressed and NOT at max loads which supports your compressed loads statement. I could load both compressed with a magnum primer BUT..........................I'll exceed the rated velocity of the Berry's bullet in the rifle. I might play with some Unique and magnum primers loaded hot and see how dirty it is in both pistol and rifle. I need some .430" reloading bullets and another try!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Hey all, should we mention twist rate and bullets in the 44 mag rifles?
    Damn it, Cephas! Don't complicate this more than it is!!!
    And thanks for the Unique primer blurb. Past experience with some suggested that Unique likes to be touched off by magnum primers. I've used both but I'm down to <200 magnum large pistol and don't want to burn too many of them in load development.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    For any rifle chambered in .44mag, you should measure the bore/groove diameters. Some manufacturers go with the handgun dimensions, others go with rifle dimensions. H&R is known for going with the rifle dimension.
    Funny I never saw a box of 44mag say rifle. This information is new to me. It seems dumb. Why would they spec rifles differently?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Funny I never saw a box of 44mag say rifle. This information is new to me. It seems dumb. Why would they spec rifles differently?
    Norma made carbine loads, I'm down to 4 20 round boxes from the 70's I bought for hunting. I also keep my 7 and half super blackhawk ammo separate from my remington 788 ammo. Mixed em once at an indoor range in Plainfield NJ and fired the first round and got a WTF from the guy in the next lane from the muzzle flash, whoops wrong box..

I found some Hornady XTP in 230 & 185gr that is .430 diameter. (Thank you, Natl. Sporting Goods in Jersey Shore)!!! What a Rep Whore I've become!!

I'm going to load up H110 to 23.5 and see what the barrel looks like. (and look at accuracy). If the barrel isn't fowled as it was, I'll grab the Magnetospeed and see what the velocities are. Also not sure of how temp stable H110 or IMR4227 are so shooting them in tropical conditions now may not be the best plan for a hunting load. I'm just really curious how much of an effect the .429" bullet is on how the barrel looks.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    I found some Hornady XTP in 230 & 185gr that is .430 diameter. (Thank you, Natl. Sporting Goods in Jersey Shore)!!! What a Rep Whore I've become!!

I'm going to load up H110 to 23.5 and see what the barrel looks like. (and look at accuracy). If the barrel isn't fowled as it was, I'll grab the Magnetospeed and see what the velocities are. Also not sure of how temp stable H110 or IMR4227 are so shooting them in tropical conditions now may not be the best plan for a hunting load. I'm just really curious how much of an effect the .429" bullet is on how the barrel looks.
    Did they happen to have any primers when you were in?

Did they happen to have any primers when you were in?
    Sorry, R.L., I get primers if needed at Millers Gun Shop, Rt 64. They had some Large Pistol Magnums last month.

Well I shot the Hornady XTP 240gr over a 23.6gr load of H110 from the 44mag Handi-Rifle to look at how bad the barrel fowls and check accuracy at 100 yds.
    What a world of difference.
    The .429" diameter 240gr Berry's bullet in that rifle left the barrel looking like I ran coal dust through it after one shot.
    The .430" diameter 240gr Hornady XTP left very little fowling after 8 shots! Very clean and actually pretty accurate. Right at an inch and a half (3) shot group at 100 yds and an inch below the bullseye. (POA). I'll need to get the Crono out and see what velocity I'm at. I'll probably bump this load to 23.8 and test.

I also shot 5 shots using the same bullet above with 22 grains of IMR4227. A little less accurate. (Opened up to about 4.5 inches but was three inches above the bull at 100 yds. (POA) The trouble was this still shot pretty dirty. I'll go with the H110.

Per the earlier posts, the culprit was indeed the bullet diameter. The .001" blow-by of gasses/powder by the smaller diameter Berry's pistol bullet created the excessive burnt powder in the barrel. I also used magnum primers for a little hotter ignition than the earlier loaded Berrys.
    And another suggestion that H110 loves to be compressed is correct as well.

Thank you all for the help on this! So what have I learned??

Well I learned that I still have no idea what the #$*@ I'm doing after 60+ years and it's doubtful this is going to change anytime soon!

(Bucks County)

Jacketed bullets have more resistance being pushed thru a barrel and give higher pressures than a cast lead bullet with the same load. I believe you just got into the minimum pressure range with the jacketed load and it shot clean but you still need more pressure for the lead load. I doubt it has anything to do with the lead bullet being sized .001 smaller. At 44 mag pressures the bullet will easily be swadged up in size as soon as it hits the lands and fill the bore completely. There is no blow by.

What is the max load in your loading data? That is what you should use. There is no "working up" a load for H110 / W296. You load it to max or find another powder. Other powders should be used for reduced loads that will save your shoulder and potentially be more accurate since you can adjust your charge to find the sweet spot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast