Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Classifieds Updates Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    This is why most sites require people to pay to post classifieds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

Something worth considering.
    I'm thinking Emptymag is thinking more along the lines of.... if I have that hard to get brand X pistol for sale " NIB " that's going for $750 new in stores or on-line and seeing used ones Selling for $650 and up...so you post it for for $640.... no one buys it after the first 3 bumps.. why should he need to go even lower if he chooses not to .... if it is already a great price?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I'm thinking Emptymag is thinking more along the lines of.... if I have that hard to get brand X pistol for sale " NIB " that's going for $750 new in stores or on-line and seeing used ones Selling for $650 and up...so you post it for for $640.... no one buys it after the first 3 bumps.. why should he need to go even lower if he chooses not to .... if it is already a great price?
    This is why we are not enforcing it as a rule, and simply asking people to be honest with themselves.

There is a line somewhere between what you've described and what some people do, which is to list stuff that is either complete junk that no one wants, or stuff people want but at prices that are not competitive.

We have not figured out how to objectively define what that is, but it is a problem we would like to see solved.

Normally this is solved by charging for ads, which we do not do because we like having a place where people can buy/sell to fellow members.

It is a difficult problem, and I'm not yet smart enough to solve it, as evidenced by the last couple weeks
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

Allowing replies to classifieds would be a sure way to correct those issues.

It would probably create some new ones, but it would raise the entertainment value of the forum significantly.

Hell, even HuntingPA allows it, and they’re megafudds over there.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Allowing replies to classifieds would be a sure way to correct those issues.

It would probably create some new ones, but it would raise the entertainment value of the forum significantly.
    Some people just want to see the world burn, LOL.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    In an earlier iteration of the changes Eric and I talked about, this was a component of it, but I couldn't get vBulletin to do exactly what we wanted. That resulted in the last round of changes as a backup plan, which went as well as everyone saw.

I still think there is something to this idea worth exploring again in the future, but for now: Classifieds for everyone.
    I don't know vbulletin all that well but on the forum software I use - mybb - there's group promotions that I utilize to prevent newbies from posting in the bst that require them to have 10 posts AND be registered for 14 days before the system promotes them to a user group that is less restrictive. surely vbulletin should have something similar, no?
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

I'd like to retract my previous bitch.

Let me find some overpriced Wolf ammo and I'll have you force them to lower their price to something I want to pay!

It may take a few weeks, but I can wait!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Thank you, no need for more rules. You guys enforce what you want against the abusers, easy.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Warren County)

Bueno!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Bucks County)

I belong to a private FB group that buys and sells old fishing lures and other tackle. They are called Deal or No Deal and the system seems to work very well. Basically, you list with photos what you want to sell. Then members can make an offer. You then respond Deal or No Deal. If it is No Deal others can respond. It's a bit like an auction but the seller has total control of the price and whether or not they will accept it. Anyway, here are the rules below for you to check out. Maybe a version of it would work for the classifieds.

Welcome to Deal Or No Deal Vintage Fishing Tackle page. This group is meant for vintage fishing tackle and related ephemera only. Anything posted that is not related to the given subject will be removed. That means NO camping, hunting, guns or archery etc.

The rules are simple:
    1. When posting, please be clear on the payment method preferred(paypal F+F is suggested or please add the fees for Goods and Services), whether shipping is included and if not what it will cost and where you will ship to.

2. When posting, be clear on condition and do your best to show all sides of the item you are selling. Grading should be based on NFLCC guidelines

3. Your offer is much like a bid in an auction… you offer what you want as a buyer and if the seller does not agree, he/she must comment “no deal” and your next offer must be higher than the first

4. When a deal is agreed upon, there is no offering afterwards. Once agreed upon, the item is sold and there is no backing out. The seller must then mark the item as sold in the comments and comment "DEAL". There is NO side dealing allowed. This will not be tolerated.

5. If either payment or an item is not sent, advise one of the admins and we will take it from there.

6. If an item sold is not as advertised, returns or an amicable agreement between the seller and the buyer must be granted

7. No bigotry, derogatory comments or disrespect towards one another will be tolerated. There is no trolling or going after anyone’s posts allowed… if there is something that needs taking care of, bring it to the attention of the admins

8. This is not a forum in which to post about politics or religion nor is it for one to post their collections This is a page meant for everyone to enjoy… so please post your items and have fun.

9. There will be no layaway or deposits that can put an item on hold! Once an item reaches an agreed-upon sellable price, it must be paid in full.

10. We ask that you limit your posts to 6 active listings at a time, and once it is sold, again, you must mark it as such. When sold please turn off commenting. You can do this by clicking on the 3 dots and it is an option. You are then allowed to list another. There will be a limit of 2 bumps per day per listing, please.

Also we ask that you limit the listings to a 3 DAY MAX! If you don't reach a deal in 3 days please delete your listing. You will be responsible for deleting and monitoring your own post. The admins will not be doing this. You may leave up old posts that you have sold. This will help with values on previous sales. We want this group to grow and run smoothly. Thank you from the admins and we appreciate your cooperation.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'd like to retract my previous bitch.

OK, but that doesn't mean you get credit towards another one.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast