Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Home target shooting question...Hanover area

Wife and I will soon be moving to Pennsylvania, likely somewhere outside of Hanover in York County. I expect we will end up with a home in the country but probably not much in the way of acreage. Can anyone direct me to the laws/ordinances that govern what I can and can't do in the country outside of Hanover, relative home target shooting. If this is not permissible, or maybe requires more land than we would have, are there any recommendations on clubs or ranges in the Hanover area?

Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Home target shooting question...Hanover area

Quote Originally Posted by Cas_Shooter View Post
    Wife and I will soon be moving to Pennsylvania, likely somewhere outside of Hanover in York County. I expect we will end up with a home in the country but probably not much in the way of acreage. Can anyone direct me to the laws/ordinances that govern what I can and can't do in the country outside of Hanover, relative home target shooting. If this is not permissible, or maybe requires more land than we would have, are there any recommendations on clubs or ranges in the Hanover area?

Thanks.
    Ordinances can be at the township level. So you have a bit of research to do.

(Berks County)

And if no local ordinances exist, us PA hunting laws for what you can shoot and distance requirements.

You definitely need to check both State laws and local ordinances. Will you be you in Penn Township?

http://www.penntwp.com/Township-Ordinance.html

This might also get you started on your research.
    https://www.pennlago.com/target-prac...-own-property/
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Washington County)

In addition to local ordinances, the attitude of your neighbors and responding police if called will unfortunately vary and therefore it’s a crapshoot.

(Berks County)

Can't add much more. I'd rent for 6-12 months to figure it out. Unless you have about 5 acres minimum and/or like minded neighbors, you'll likely have problems. A little tactic they like to use is noise ordinances.

We looked at a great house 7 years ago, but the one neighbor was a well known doctor and the other was an attorney. Shooting safely could have been done, but I suspected it would not go well, them being big shots and all, regular social events with other well-off folk, so we passed on that.

You might be better of in a smaller township that has no local police and falls under PSP jurisdiction. I think people who enjoy liberty tend to gravitate to those locations.

Not familiar with your area, but an acquaintance with property in northern PA spoke with his 'local' PSP trooper and found out he goes through his municipality about twice a month, maybe weekly. That has benefits.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Can't add much more. I'd rent for 6-12 months to figure it out. Unless you have about 5 acres minimum and/or like minded neighbors, you'll likely have problems. A little tactic they like to use is noise ordinances.

We looked at a great house 7 years ago, but the one neighbor was a well known doctor and the other was an attorney. Shooting safely could have been done, but I suspected it would not go well, them being big shots and all, regular social events with other well-off folk, so we passed on that.
    In cases like that, you go to tannerite when they start to complain then agree to back it off a notch.
    It's called leverage and it's very effective.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    In cases like that, you go to tannerite when they start to complain then agree to back it off a notch.
    It's called leverage and it's very effective.
    It*s a tactic torn directly from the Left*s playbook! Well- played, Sir!