Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Exclamation South Carolina's New Open Carry Law

South Carolina's new open carry law takes effect Sunday
    The law allows gun owners with concealed carry permits to openly carry firearms in public.
    Author: Hank Lee - August 15, 2021

COLUMBIA, S.C. * Gun owners in South Carolina with concealed carry permits will soon be able to openly carry handguns as the state's new "open carry" law takes effect on Sunday.

The new law, which was signed by Gov. Henry McMaster in May, allows people who undergo training and background checks to carry guns hidden under a jacket or other clothing to carry their guns openly. Before this law, South Carolina was one of only five states without an open carry law.

"I will proudly support any legislation that protects or enhances a South Carolinian's ability to exercise their Second Amendment rights, and that's exactly what this bill does," McMaster said when he signed the bill into law.

Guns will not be allowed in "gun free zones" like schools and courthouses.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) said it's important to know that this new law doesn't change who can carry a weapon, it merely changes the way a permit holder can carry a handgun in public.

Gun owners will have to go through extensive training to obtain a valid permit.

"In addition, the Open Carry with Training Act also does not change where a CWP holder can carry in South Carolina nor does it change the right of a public or private business or employer to post a sign prohibiting or allowing the carrying of a concealable weapon by a valid CWP holder," SLED said.

Meanwhile, not all South Carolinians are celebrating the new law.

"The open carry is good for maybe younger people but as an older woman I don't really want people to know that I'm carrying a gun because then I think I could become a target," Jean Habrukowich said.

Brian Sisson, owner of The Range at the Ballantyne in Indian Land South Carolina, says it comes with more responsibility.

"Know what you're doing, we tell all of our guests that are taking our class practice practice practice, don't just go and get your concealed carry permit, buy a gun and start carrying it thinking you can protect the world, its not going to happen," Sisson said.

BABY STEP!

(Bold added)

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: South Carolina's New Open Carry Law

I was hoping for Constitutional carry (too!).

(Northampton County)

Is this one of those updates so if you are CCing and you inadvertently expose your firearm due to normal movement you don't get hit with a crime?

Stuart

PickingPA Guest

How about some PA reciprocity?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    PA is not well liked by other states around the country so I doubt that you'll see that any time soon. Additionally, in case nobody has noticed...those other states that get us DE and a couple of others and provide out of state licenses (permits or whatever you want to call them) require some schooling and FL even requires some demonstration of shooting capabilities. For reasons beyond my understanding, we don't want such training for the right to carry here but we'll get that training to score us the ability to carry in DE.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PickingPA View Post
    Not going to happen. Many states have training/class requirements in their reciprocity laws. ...which PA has no requirement for such. Some states overlook it, some dont.

SC would have to change their laws, but heck - they just allowed Kings Permission to Carry Openly. ...so it is unlikely. SC just moved a step up on becoming South Philadelphia in permissive carrying equality.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

I don't get it. PA has no open carry law. That's how we are able to open carry. If South Carolina had no open carry law, they should have been able to open carry as well. If open carry invited legal problems, then there was a law regarding open carry.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.