Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Fiber optic front sight is so remarkable

Have had an M49 Ithaca rifle that stood in a corner of the shop for many years. Our 57-year-old son recalls shooting it when a young kid. I don't recall shooting it myself.

This light straight-gripped single-shot lever-action rifle has a 13-1/2" LOP and over-all seems scaled for a child. On the outdoor range under a roof and shooting from a bench, I found two problems. First...it's dark under there. The white paint on the front bead looks a silhouette black. The white dot I had painted under the rear sight notch was also black. Secondly, my cheek is just a tad too fat, preventing me from aligning the sights vertically.

I bought a TruGlo red fiber optic front sight .500" tall, which is .050" taller than the OEM front sight. That additional height did the job, allowing alignment of sights. The lit fiber optic (.060" diameter) is magic. Even under the roof of the shooting benches.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Fiber optic front sight is so remarkable

Yes, without a "Glo" sight on my flintlock, I would not even be able to shoot it. I have a couple of those Ithaca M-49 rifles including my first rifle, bought second hand at a farmers market. My Mom helped me out with the money ($10). I got a box of .22 short hollow points and went hunting. My family was really getting tired of squirrel that year. Some are really accurate. I also have a rare .22 magnum model that is apart and have to get back together.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Fiber optic front sight is so remarkable

I don't know if it's my getting old, but I found the hammer taking two thumbs, one upon the other, to cock. Ridiculous.

I backed the stock stud (contains the hammer coil spring) out three or four turns and installed a locknut on it. The hammer is now easily cocked, and so far has fired any brand of .22LR I've tried. The engagement survives the butt drop test.

Yeah, when I turned old enough to hunt, squirrels and rabbits were in danger of extinction. And tire of them we did. LOL.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.