Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Muzzleloader For Beginners

I bought a CVA Wolf last year and I have no complaints with it thus far. Threw a cheap scope on it that I had laying around. I shoot 2 white hot pellets. I've tried various sabots and powerbelts, and they all shoot plenty accurate for deer hunting. I had only 1 misfire in probably 40 shots, which I think is not unusual for a muzzleloader and probably wasn't the gun's fault either. Sure it's cheap, but it works just fine for my needs.

(Berks County)

Personally for muzzleloader in PA you get more bang for your buck ( pun intended) with a flinter. IMHO . You can hunt early season and late season primitive. I personally find using a flintlock much more enjoyable and more true to the sport . That being said I use a Traditions PA Pellet with synthetic stock and fiber optic sights . .50 cal 1-48 twist . Plus you can remove the breech plug for easy cleaning . I run 4f in the pan and about 10 grains of 4f in the tube followed by 85 gr. of Pyrodex Select. I shoot a 385 gr Hornady Great Plains bullet the best but it will shoot patched balls and sabots, the 48 twist just seems to like the minie/maxi balls the best .

I see your in Berks there is a great shop for black powder , flints and just about anything you need in Kempton Pa . https://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

They are really helpful.

Seriously I knew nothing about muzzle loading when I got mine and found learning most enjoyable .

Shydas in Lebanon has the new *deer hunter* in stock.

https://www.shydasoutdoorcenter.com/...synthetic.html
    Last edited by Zeke2A; August 11th, 2021 at 08:39 PM.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cjweaver13 View Post
    Every store near me has either number 10 or number 11 percussion caps and at least one bottle of pyrodex
    You're at the top of the state, we're at the bottom.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Carbon County)

Buy a flintlock. I just started a few years ago with a Traditions Deer Hunter, wood stock. I liked it so much I bought another one with a plastic stock for rough weather. Both are very accurate. If you are looking to expand seasons, this is the way to go. You get about 3 weeks after Christmas (Buck or Doe) statewide with a flintlock. If you are just looking for an easy way to kill a deer, buy a crossbow. You can get into good areas near houses, use the special doe time, and the 3 weeks at the end of the year. I know quite a few guys that are happy with their crossbows.

(York County)

My free advice: (worth what it costs you if that matters)
    If you want a muzzleloader to shoot for the joy of using an antique type of firearm, buy either one of the percussion or flintlock guns in a traditional configuration. I personally don't have any use for the inlines or "modern" muzzleloaders as they are designed for taking advantage of rules intended for primative hunters while being modern in all other ways.

I'm not up on the current factory produced guns, but tons of Hawken type guns are out there as they were popular for litterally decades with the wannabe buckskinners. Lyman's Trade Rifle or Hawken are both top of the line guns. Of course you can get also go military with a replica Civil War musket, or try to find a Pennsylvania long rifle replica. Dixie Gun Works Tennesee mountain rifle replicas are one of the top guns of the type if you can find one. They were made in both flint and percussion examples.

If you want to do a flintlock gun, it is a good idea to be willing to buy one of the better quality guns: Lyman, Thompson Center, Petersoli, etc... because flintlocks are just plain more fussy. Lock quality is very important with flint lock guns. A lock that won't spark properly is just a pretty wallhanger.

Another route if you want traditional flint is to buy one of the guns from Canada made for the reenactor market. They do start in the mid $500 dollar range however and you'd have to get the touch hole drilled. Check out the line from Access Heritage. https://www.militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; August 31st, 2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: adding content

(Carbon County)

I disagree. Cheap is good for beginners. I really like my Traditions flintlocks. It is about as cheap as they come and they shoot great. Use English flints, or French, but they can be hard to find. It is rare if I have a misfire and then it is usually something I did.

I ought the cva optima for early bear muzzleoader and the lyman deerstalker flintlock for late year primitive. If you buy a wood stock lyman best have it tung oiled to prevent warping. The first one I had I used in the rain and the stock swole up and cracked.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Square Bag View Post
    I ought the cva optima for early bear muzzleoader and the lyman deerstalker flintlock for late year primitive. If you buy a wood stock lyman best have it tung oiled to prevent warping. The first one I had I used in the rain and the stock swole up and cracked.
    That is why I have two Traditions Deer Hunter rifles. One with a plastic stock for severe weather. I totally disagree with Eccletic Collector. A lot of the rifles he mentioned have no better locks than a Traditions. The only thing I changed was going to a French flint. I seriously doubt I bought the only two good rifles they ever made. I use my flintlocks and don't carry them around to impress people. Why pay more for a name when entering the game?

(York County)

Well at least we can agree that having a good lock is very important with a flintlock.

My experience is drawn from the guns I've owned and used and stuff made decades ago may not be the same as what is currently being sold new.

(Carbon County)

The OP said, "Under $500". Even those Italian guns (Which really look nice) are quite expensive. Most of my problems starting out were from my own inexperience. Sounds like the OP just wants something to get out in the woods with. Or may be just an easy way to kill a deer? I remember when they started the early season for doe. In lines were flying off the shelves at Cabela's. Most had no interest in muzzleloaders what so ever, just looking for an easy way to kill a deer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast