Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16ga.

Default 16ga.

When did the 16 ga fall out of favor. I remember hunting with a 16 ga when I was a kid. Now you are hard pressed to even find anything about a 16 ga. shot gun.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Default Re: 16ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    When did the 16 ga fall out of favor. I remember hunting with a 16 ga when I was a kid. Now you are hard pressed to even find anything about a 16 ga. shot gun.
    Probably in the 70s, growing up my buddies dad was the only person I knew that still used 16ga. Now i know a few people with 16ga but they are mostly 55+ years old. Imo with all the different loads available today 12ga rules , 16ga may weigh less but unless you are a youth or small framed weight isn't a big deal.

I have a case of 16ga in my basement. Is it worth anything? Never looked into it.

(Chester County)

I had a 16 gauge Browning A-5 but I sold it because 12 and 20 gauge covers all the needs. Finding ammo began to be a problem in the early 90's.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Clarion County)

Have a couple. My first shotgun was a bolt revelation 16 with a polychoke. Second is a Win. 24 double, the farmers low cost double at the time. Very sweet gun, thin and for the era lightweight. Both have taken their share of small game, turkey, and remember one doe.
    Used to find ammo at Wall of China mart once a year at low price. Usually field loads of 6 shot. Gun shows used to have buckshot and slugs cheap. Stocked up.
    Capable of loading for it but haven't needed to yet.
    The 16 seemed to hit a wall and development stopped while the 20's and 12's expanded.
    Always wonder what would of happened if interest and development would of kept up with the other gauges.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

A friend down sized and gave me his 16 ga pump last year. My wife's cousin found out I had a 16 ga. and gave me 1400rds of 16 ga.
    I use to hunt with my Dad's when I was in High school. I liked his gun. I took the 16 ga over to the trap club and shot 19 with it about a month ago.
    I may use it for hunting this fall.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Berks County)

I have a Remington 16ga pump from the sixties , killed a few cockbirds with it , I still prefer the 12 but here is a good article on the 16. Keep in mind it*s from before the current shortages .

https://projectupland.com/shotguns-a...gauge-shotgun/
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Carbon County)

870 16 gauge guns bring good prices. Even the barrels do. I think the 20 gauge was the happy medium and just edged it out. People wanted more horsepower, like 3 1/2" 12 gauge. I use my .410 more than any other shotgun.

There are still quite a few of us who still appreciate what the 16ga has to offer and we're not all in that 55+ age range. For anyone interested, I'd be happy to offer any advice I can on the "sweetest" of all the gauges.

(Bucks County)

Dad has a 16ga bolt action with that goofy dial-a-choke. Whenever I shot trap with it, I dusted the birds about 20 feet out of the traphouse.

I tried his Winchester 101 Trap 12 ga several times and couldn’t hit shit with it.

16ga is obviously the superior round.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast