Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Upcoming Classifieds Process and Rules Changes

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_harry44 View Post
    I hate to pile on about these changes being bad, but they*ve really killed the fun of the classifieds. I used to enjoy looking at it and seeing what people have for sale, but now there*s not much to see. I*m moving to NH at the end of the year (live free or die), so it will hardly matter for me in a few months, but it*s sad to see how bad it*s gotten in so little time.

Honestly- if the libs wanted to shutdown private sales, implementing these rules as law would make them more successful than any other nonsense they*ve tried in years. I can*t believe how thoroughly these rules have ruined the classifieds.
    Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Sir you have made 14 countable post in 9 years? This forum is hardly about the classifieds
    Ok you want to post shame him...well just read it with my name cause he's right.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    If you want to put in the effort, you could be quantitative about it. If you give me access to the data, ill volunteer to do it. You don't determine any standards until you let the data speak for themselves.

Using the classifieds data as your dataset, either for the past x years, or it's entirety, you can "ask questions" such as:

1). How many posts (including bumps) does every user have in the classifieds? How does that compare to their non-classifieds post count? How does it compare to the median and average of all users?

2). Same analysis, but for the "top 25% of people with at least 13 classifieds posts" (more than once per month).

3). Same analysis, but with a focus on FREQUENCY of posting, rather than quantity of positing.

4). Quantity and frequency of each users's classified posts that are firearm-related and non firearm-related.

5). Peer analysis, compare classified Posting stats with people of similar account age.

6). Bump analysis...all kinds of questions you can ask about bump posts vs new threads.

That's just a sample (I'm typing on my phone). But the point is that you can use your dataset to tell you something about the users, completely objectively. With appropriate questions, the data will tell you what's normal, what's abnormal, who is here only for the classifieds, who is most likely posting crap, etc. You can point to the data and say, "look man, you're way outside the normal here, we're going to have to tone you down some", and avoid "penalizing" people who are not being obnoxious.
    We in theory have the ability to query this data, but it'd be difficult to *do* anything with in in an automated way, but still very interesting and I really like the way you're thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    I'd consider becoming a paid member if the PM limits weren't absurd. this isn't 2000 where database storage is expensive. 75 PMs for $10/yr? that's crazy...
    Unrelated to the topic at hand, you're not entirely wrong and it may be time to re-evaluate how the supporter stuff works, it has not changed since the beginning.

With that said, another poster was right: The supporter stuff was admittedly intended to be more like a "thank you for your donation" benefit rather than something of real value because I never liked begging for donations on this site. This is why I think we have only blatantly asked for true donations three or four times in the site's entire history, and it was always tied to a specific initiative like moving our hosting setup or something.

Point taken however.

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Simple rule should be applied... if you abuse the classifieds you get a time out. No specifics, everyone can recognize abuse. Give mods free range to hand out timeouts and the classifieds fix themselves shortly.
    The problem here is that rules like these become difficult for users to understand where the line is, which makes it difficult for moderators to apply fairly, and results in abuse towards the volunteer mods for just trying to keep a lid on things.

Between the self-appointed users who feel the need to report every post and the amount of childish message received from assholes is astounding for a forum full of what I always assumed was mostly grown men, but this seems to be a general trend among forums as far as I can tell.

Posters are not wrong that we are always looking for ways to balance the utility of the forum for everyone while keeping the administrative workload within a level that people will actually enjoy doing it in their free time. But we are trying to make it better, even if we miss the mark at times.

The goal with the recent changes was to try to make things *more* objective and easier to moderate, but that obviously failed for other reasons which is why we will be switching things back mostly to what it was before this weekend.

Thank you again to everyone for the constructive criticism and feedback and your patience while we get things to a better state for everyone.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Totally not necessary.

The forum lets you download all of your messages as .csv, .xml and .txt. It takes under 2 seconds. You can keep your own private library of every message you have ever sent or received, without having to lose anything by deleting it here.

Using the limitation on private message storage as an excuse not to financially contribute to the site strikes me as just a cop out to avoid admitting one is just a cheapskate. I can't imagine being on a site for 12 years and taking the position that it isn't valuable enough to me to donate a lousy $1/month. I mean....damn. I thought *I* was a cheap fuck. Maybe I am...but at least I'm not the cheapest fuck.
    Time is money, and the knowledge and assistance I've contributed to this forum outweighs your dollars and cents contribution 1000 to 1, so you can save the sanctimonious bullshit about being cheap.

(Philadelphia County)

I would ask that everyone please try to keep this thread on topic.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum and in this thread is here because we all give a damn about trying to make it a better place and keep our hobby alive in the process.

Let's focus on that for now.

Edit: This thread has actually mostly run its course and we will be making the changes today that largely puts classifieds back to its original form with a few quality of life changes.

We'll have a new announcement thread up when that is done where we can all argue some more.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920