Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Upcoming Classifieds Process and Rules Changes

Can't we just ban the crybabies who get all sensitive over seeing something bumped too many times, or who whine that nobody is lowering their prices?

I'm really not sure what the big issue is all of a sudden.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah...ban the crybabies!
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    I*m thankful we*re looking at trying to do SOMETHING to help make the classified situation a little better. I do agree that ads that have been bumped for years have no business still being in the classifieds, and allowing them to remain adds no benefit to the users of the forum, and the current system allows that kind of activity with impunity.

Since we*re only allowed one post per category under the new rules, it would seem wise then to increase the number of categories by making them much more specific. Currently, we have *accessories and ammunition* lumped into one category. If I have an accessory to sell, and some ammunition, I*m forced to put those both into one category. If there was a thread for *ammunition*, and a thread for *accessories*, that would allow me to list both items separately, which would also be helpful for buyers searching listings for items they are shopping for. Even better would be to break *accessories* into multiple categories. You could have an *AR accessories* thread, and an *AK accessories* thread, and a *shotgun accessories* thread, and a *handgun* accessories thread, etc. It would make for a lot of threads, but it would also solve the issue of people being concerned about posting multiple items in single listings, and would be more beneficial to buyers to be able to target threads for shopping, rather than combing through a single flea market post. Just my thoughts. The one category I would exclude from that would be anything not firearm related. Since this is a firearms related forum, we should privilege classified posts of firearms related items, and non-firearm related *flea market* type items can just all go in one big thread. That too would solve a lot of the concerns that members who are dissatisfied with the current classifieds system would have, while addressing some of the concerns with the new strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Can't we just ban the crybabies who get all sensitive over seeing something bumped too many times, or who whine that nobody is lowering their prices?
    I think we should ban posts without suitably placed paragraph markers (:

I also think an item that is more than 3 years old should be required to be posted in an "OLD CRAP" sub-forum, unless it is a firearm, firearm related, or a tool. (:

I just wanted to add that while it is true that some users post the same TOTAL JUNK over and over again, without lowering prices, in some cases, FOR YEARS, I don't really have any actionable complaints about the classifieds. I think all involved are doing a good job.

But seriously. Paragraphs people, paragraphs!

Update: You know what WOULD be useful? Is if you could FILTER the classifieds, to either exclude certain users (because you know you're not going to buy ANY of the old crap that they post), or by date range. But again, that's getting into more of a sales-oriented system than a discussion system. I think. I guess. I dunno. I'm just happy I finally cleaned up my office. As a result, I have two free office-style Swingline staplers if someone in the Pittsburgh area wants them (:

(Allegheny County)

in before the lock!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I feel your pain (:

I think you stated the real issue when you mentioned using the discussion forum as a classifieds site.

I wonder if, in the longer term view of things, you might be better served by having a dedicated "for sale" site powered by software for that purpose, but "close it" so that PAFOA membership is required to use it, and use a SAML token from a PAFOA login to enforce it, and avoid people having to maintain separate logins, etc.

Does this forum software have any "door" concept, like BBS software had? Where you can "punch out" to something, do whatever, and then "close the door" to end up back where you left off in the forum?
    A ton of work but ultimately the best solution.

I don't see why we can't just ban the junk posters. We'd still have the morons posting used guns for over MSRP, but it would help a lot. The junk posters don't even contribute to the forum in general. This is just a free listing site to them.
    F*#K THE ATF

(York County)

So this is my question: I had 2 ads last month. One traded, the other sold. Both are marked closed as they were supposed to have been.

If I want to sell another item, do I need to revive one of them, or start a new once since they were prior to the change and are now closed? If I have to revive one, the last created or the one with the last *bump*?

(Delaware County)

It would seem the moderators had all of the input s to how to clean up the classifieds...maybe the discussion should have included those who use it too.

Have you looked at some other gun forums and how they manage their classified/market place? AK FILES has a great system...easy to use and all inclusive. The format is newer and the overall site is a good upgrade to what it once was.

If you are going to clean up the classifieds, maybe the search engine/function should be upgraded too...its absolutely awful...slow and pulls info that is years old.

Now that GB is charging sales tax to buyers, you are going to see an influx of members selling their goods locally. For those vendors who are prolific in their ads...maybe you should charge them a fee to list their goods and also have them register as a vendor...and their posts are marked as such.

So many good ideas out there, which could be used to make the classifieds here better...but you need to engage those who use them in the changes you want to institute.

Thanks for your consideration.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    Can we just leave the Classifieds as is and just add more moderators that are designated to ONLY CLASSIFIEDS to keep them clean or remove old stuff?

I have tons of stuff posted. I use this forum to sell and buy a lot. Have for the past 10 years or so. I find it easier to sell stuff when it*s listed as an individual listing vs a mass post with tons of stuff. So soon we*re gonna have 500 *Cleaning out the safe* listings.

When I*m listing stuff I notice ALOT of old, sold or closed listings that have been sitting for days. I will gladly help out in the classifieds section and delete or archive listings if that*s what it takes to keep things as is.

But, if 3 days is too much or too soon, make it 5 days.
    I nominate iMoses for Moderator King of the Classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I think we should ban posts without suitably placed paragraph markers (:

I also think an item that is more than 3 years old should be required to be posted in an "OLD CRAP" sub-forum, unless it is a firearm, firearm related, or a tool. (:

I just wanted to add that while it is true that some users post the same TOTAL JUNK over and over again, without lowering prices, in some cases, FOR YEARS, I don't really have any actionable complaints about the classifieds. I think all involved are doing a good job.

But seriously. Paragraphs people, paragraphs!

Update: You know what WOULD be useful? Is if you could FILTER the classifieds, to either exclude certain users (because you know you're not going to buy ANY of the old crap that they post), or by date range. But again, that's getting into more of a sales-oriented system than a discussion system. I think. I guess. I dunno. I'm just happy I finally cleaned up my office. As a result, I have two free office-style Swingline staplers if someone in the Pittsburgh area wants them (:
    Right. No one wants to buy your used VHS tapes that have been listed for 3 years at the same price. Or your stock Saiga that's been listed for 3 years at the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I nominate iMoses for Moderator King of the Classifieds.
    Yes, king of the classifieds..

(Allegheny County)

I vote pictures must be included in the add or delete the post! If a poster can't figure out how to take a picture of their item and upload it, they shouldn't be permitted to post!
    Toujours prêt

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast