Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Advice needed on selling handguns

I am reducing the number of handguns and long guns that I own. I need some advice regarding the particulars of the transfers.

Some of the sticky threads in the classified threads indicate that handgun transfers (outside of family) need to go through a FFL or through the sheriff's office.
    .....What do FFls usually charge for this service? Would the seller and I have to make an appointment?
    .....How would one do this through the sheriff's office? The city/county bldg doesn't allow firearms except for authorized people.

How would I go about doing a background check or otherwise ascertain that the buyer is legal to own a firearm?

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Advice needed on selling handguns

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post
    I am reducing the number of handguns and long guns that I own. I need some advice regarding the particulars of the transfers.

Some of the sticky threads in the classified threads indicate that handgun transfers (outside of family) need to go through a FFL or through the sheriff's office.
    .....What do FFls usually charge for this service? Would the seller and I have to make an appointment?
    .....How would one do this through the sheriff's office? The city/county bldg doesn't allow firearms except for authorized people.

How would I go about doing a background check or otherwise ascertain that the buyer is legal to own a firearm?

Thanks
    Handguns, must be done by FFL, don't bother the sheriff's office they won't do it anyways.
    Make the buyer pay for transfer, offer them 3 local places that you like to meet and have them choose.

For long guns, most people want to see a valid PA drivers license, and a current LTCF(License To Carry Firearms).
    Bit you are more then welcome to transfer long guns at an FFL as well if you want to "register" the firearm with the fed, or cover your ass a little better.
    Many people won't do ffl transfers for long guns as it's unnecessary.

(Allegheny County)

$20-$30 is the generally accepted fair price for a transfer.
    Anything more and you're probably paying too much.

YOU don't do a background check - if that's something you are concerned with, you need to have it transferred at an FFL who will do the background check.

Forget the sherriff.

Yes, call an FFL, explain that you have a handgun/rifle that you are selling to someone and need a transfer.
    As what that will cost. Make arrangements (time/date) to go there with the buyer and have the transfer done.

Someone pays - you or the buyer. That's up to you to decide, but typically the buyer pays.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Handguns, must be done by FFL, don't bother the sheriff's office they won't do it anyways.
    Make the buyer pay for transfer, offer them 3 local places that you like to meet and have them choose.

For long guns, most people want to see a valid PA drivers license, and a current LTCF(License To Carry Firearms).
    Bit you are more then welcome to transfer long guns at an FFL as well if you want to "register" the firearm with the fed, or cover your ass a little better.
    Many people won't do ffl transfers for long guns as it's unnecessary.

How does one "register" a long gun? lol

(Lycoming County)

I've sold a few on here. I always let the buyer choose where to transfer within reason, they're paying for it. For long guns, it depends on who it is. The members I know on here, I just hand the gun over and collect the cash. Otherwise I usually want a DL and LTCF or were off to the FFL. Anything sketchy at all and it's off to the FFL. I've shipped a few too, I only ship FFL-FFL and on the buyers dime.

(Beaver County)

If I get any sketchy vibes I go a little above the usuals but still good to cya

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    $20-$30 is the generally accepted fair price for a transfer.
    Anything more and you're probably paying too much.

YOU don't do a background check - if that's something you are concerned with, you need to have it transferred at an FFL who will do the background check.

Forget the sherriff.

Yes, call an FFL, explain that you have a handgun/rifle that you are selling to someone and need a transfer.
    As what that will cost. Make arrangements (time/date) to go there with the buyer and have the transfer done.

Someone pays - you or the buyer. That's up to you to decide, but typically the buyer pays.
    This is my answer too, saved me all the typing.

(Erie County)

Nobody mentioned Bill of Sale. I won't sell a gun without one, FFL or no FFL. There's a good one on this site. Just print two copies. Fill the info out, sign both copies, and have buyer sign both. Keep one copy. Even though a person has a drivers license and LTCF, he may still be prohibited. The Sheriff's office doesn't react immediately. There is a question about that on Bill of Sale.

I sold a few ? well all handguns go thru an FFL a location that is conducive to seller/buyer average prices still range $ 15 to $ 45 ! I try not to give the higher priced FFLs priority ! Long guns if the buyer is not known to me I will state Pa.DL and do you mind me camera photo of DL ? This isnt the most usual proceedure some will balk ,I dont need their business and If they balk I give an alternative of going to an FFL for long gun purchase.Its called cover your ass and keep all records !

Use my method. Don't ever sell any of your guns and you will be covered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast