Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Public range that isn't insanely expensive?

I am new to York County. I am looking for a public handgun/rifle range to dial in sights and such ideally in Southern York County. (I could even deal with York, Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Hanover, etc)

I have young kids so I just don't have to time to join a private club and make the costs worth my while. (At least not right now...a couple years down the road...different story. Or if there is a club that welcomes young shooters where I could teach my kids the club costs might make sense)

The public range in the area has membership fees (which seems to negate the 'public' part on top of range fees. It's just not economical for 2 trips a year

Thanks for any suggestions. Moving to a new area where you don't know where anything is can be an adventure!
    Last edited by Spaceballs; September 7th, 2021 at 03:32 PM.
    May the Schwartz Be With You

(York County)

Default Re: Public range that isn't insanely expensive?

Public ranges are going to be limited to a few indoor ranges and the SGL's around here. The SGL's might be a good choice since you can get a range pass or if you have a hunting license it is cheap.

Due to a general dysfunction of local ranges and their membership requirements, we joined York IWLA. It was mostly due to their juniors league and the family-oriented nature of the organization. Other ranges it was just too much trouble since I moved from the other side of the state I know few people here, and no one that shoots so sponsors was a problem. York IWLA worked with us and the family loves it there.

If you want to visit, let me know. Happy to chat.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by deltabravo View Post
    Public ranges are going to be limited to a few indoor ranges and the SGL's around here. The SGL's might be a good choice since you can get a range pass or if you have a hunting license it is cheap.

Due to a general dysfunction of local ranges and their membership requirements, we joined York IWLA. It was mostly due to their juniors league and the family-oriented nature of the organization. Other ranges it was just too much trouble since I moved from the other side of the state I know few people here, and no one that shoots so sponsors was a problem. York IWLA worked with us and the family loves it there.

If you want to visit, let me know. Happy to chat.
    This place?

http://www.yorkiwla.org/home.html

Looks nice. And it's not far from me at all.
    May the Schwartz Be With You

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    This place?

http://www.yorkiwla.org/home.html

Looks nice. And it's not far from me at all.
    Yes - that is the one. The range is great. There is good group of regulars and the juniors group is active with the kids. Fishing is nice there too.

(York County)

Yes - that is the one. The range is great. There is good group of regulars and the juniors group is active with the kids. Fishing is nice there too.
    And that fee is $110 a year?! That is a hell of a deal.

Does that give you full access to the place? Or are there fees per use of things like the rifle range, archery range, etc?

The pricing seems pretty darn good either way

I will have to check this place out

Where I am crime in MD we had places like this but the pricing was just stupidly expensive. The people always seemed really welcoming though

(York County)

Does that give you full access to the place? Or are there fees per use of things like the rifle range, archery range, etc?

Where I am crime in MD we had places like this but the pricing was just stupidly expensive. The people always seemed really welcoming though
    Yes, per year. They don't charge for anything extra. Except for the special shoots/events like falling steel and other match stuff. Archery, fishing, ranges, and picnic pavilions are all part of the deal. The trap area is by appointment if you want them to run it, I think you provide the clays but not sure, I just use my launcher. If you can bring your own launcher just use the middle shoot house and you are good to go.

Welcome to Pa and leave MD behind. There are a lot of nice private ranges like this that are not expensive throughout Pa. No tricks, no hidden fees, just enjoying the natural right that the 2nd codifies. Dont hesitate and enjoy!

(York County)

Yes, per year. They don't charge for anything extra. Except for the special shoots/events like falling steel and other match stuff. Archery, fishing, ranges, and picnic pavilions are all part of the deal. The trap area is by appointment if you want them to run it, I think you provide the clays but not sure, I just use my launcher. If you can bring your own launcher just use the middle shoot house and you are good to go.
    Awesome.

Just awesome.

I am going to email the place this week.

Thank you for the suggestion!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    Welcome to Pa and leave MD behind. There are a lot of nice private ranges like this that are not expensive throughout Pa. No tricks, no hidden fees, just enjoying the natural right that the 2nd codifies. Dont hesitate and enjoy!
    MD, for lack of a better term, sucks.

Beautiful scenery from beach to mountains, but life there just straight up sucks.

(York County)

I see this post is pretty old but I just moved to York recently myself from Baltimore and I joined a public range about 20 mins from my house. Its surrounded by State game lands and its something like $35 for the whole year. You can bring a guest for no charge as well. So if you only want to go twice a year for sighting in and such that would be a pretty cheap option or you could always ask to tag along with someone who already has a pass as their guest. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast