Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DELCO, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    1,619
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Can't tell from the angle if the guy shooting these armed robbers draws from his pocket or from his belly. Either way, looks like he drew with his left and had to drop the bag held in his dominant hand and switch the gun over before engaging. He still got off his shots quicker and better than the street rats but that could have really cost him. Something to keep in mind as we all tend to carry in our dominant hand. Fortunately for me I was trained in the military to always keep my right hand free so I'd be ready to salute if I encountered an officer. This discipline works great for me cause I'm a lefty.

    In any case, he seems to draw from the front somewhere. Does anyone routinely carry appendix? Would certainly have some slight tactical advantage but it always makes me nervous - you know so close to my boys.


    This defensive shooting happened in LA, so chances are the shooter got charged for illegal carry and probably more. Oh well, his choice to live there. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.


    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,158
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Something to keep in mind as we all tend to carry in our dominant hand. Fortunately for me I was trained in the military to always keep my right hand free so I'd be ready to salute if I encountered an officer. This discipline works great for me cause I'm a lefty.
    I'm left-handed, but I shoot right-handed. However, I tend to carry things in my right-hand, so my left hand is free to punch someone in the face, should I need to do so.

    In general though, I try not to carry stuff around with either hand, unless I need to. In a situation like shown in the picture above (have not watched the video yet, will do so after posting), IF I were carrying something - it would have been in my right hand and I would have had to drop it to draw. HOWEVER, if I am exercising situational awareness, and I looked ahead and spotted trouble - there is a good chance I would shift what I was carrying from my right hand to my left, so that I could more easily draw.

    OK, time to watch the video (:

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    5,918
    Rep Power
    21474852

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Ever since I bought the P365, I usually pocket carry. It's good that I can get a firing grip out of sight.

    I've been thinking about training at the range while carrying something. It would be good to practice throwing down whatever's in my hands.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glockin, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,945
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Ever since I bought the P365, I usually pocket carry. It's good that I can get a firing grip out of sight.

    I've been thinking about training at the range while carrying something. It would be good to practice throwing down whatever's in my hands.
    I can't say I've trained that way, but I do conciously think about dropping whatever is in my hands as my first action if I'm in condition yellow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DELCO, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    1,619
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    It took a week, but thanks, free, for finally generating some buzz on this post. Sometimes, you're actually worth the aggravation!
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    452
    Rep Power
    19177966

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Looked to me like he dropped the package, lifted his shirt with left hand, and drew from appendix carry with right hand. In any case, a happy ending as far as I'm concerned. Serves the thugs right! Hope the defender managed to get away or in CA, he will likely do as much time as the thugs - maybe more!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,158
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    It took a week, but thanks, free, for finally generating some buzz on this post. Sometimes, you're actually worth the aggravation!
    I'm here to help (;

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,027
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I'm left-handed, but I shoot right-handed. However, I tend to carry things in my right-hand, so my left hand is free to punch someone in the face, should I need to do so.

    In general though, I try not to carry stuff around with either hand, unless I need to. In a situation like shown in the picture above (have not watched the video yet, will do so after posting), IF I were carrying something - it would have been in my right hand and I would have had to drop it to draw. HOWEVER, if I am exercising situational awareness, and I looked ahead and spotted trouble - there is a good chance I would shift what I was carrying from my right hand to my left, so that I could more easily draw.

    OK, time to watch the video (:
    Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Ever since I bought the P365, I usually pocket carry. It's good that I can get a firing grip out of sight.

    I've been thinking about training at the range while carrying something. It would be good to practice throwing down whatever's in my hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I can't say I've trained that way, but I do conciously think about dropping whatever is in my hands as my first action if I'm in condition yellow.
    Gents, sorry I'm a bit late to the party. Now, I'm not suggesting that IDPA is training, but good practice can be had. I can't tell you how many stages I've shot over the past 7 years where we start with something in our hand(s) that needs to be addressed before engaging targets. Bags, boxes, phones, books/newspapers, etc...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    PRNY
    Posts
    1,035
    Rep Power
    6534636

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    In general though, I try not to carry stuff around with either hand, unless I need to.
    That's what wives are for!

    /ducks and runs for cover

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,158
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Video of robbery victim draw/shoot: Appendix or pocket carry

    Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    That's what wives are for!
    Not all of us require a wife escort when we leave the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I was the victim of an armed robbery tonight.
    By unloved in forum General
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: July 19th, 2012, 06:29 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
  4. Robbery Victim charged with firing gun
    By Gmac in forum General
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •