Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Conceal carry while riding a bicycle?

Does anyone ride a bike (the pedal kind, not the vroom vroom kind) while concealed carrying?

I am looking for a good way to do it.

I don't wear spandex or bike jerseys (and I'm not going to start) so the standard bike jersey pockets are out. I usually ride with elastic band athletic shorts so pretty much any kind of belt holster is out.

I don't want to mount a holster to the bike frame as I do stop and walk away from my ride a lot.

I was thinking fanny pack. On bike trails that's fairly common and wouldn't stand out.

5-11 makes this thing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MTIQRG...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    But with their logo emblazoned on it it kind screams "gun" to anyone who knows what 5-11 is.

Anyone use that pack? Anyone use any other packs or have other options I'm not even thinking of? I feel like your standard Wal Mart fanny pack isn't going to hold a gun tight enough. I don't really want it bouncing around in there.

I feel like for this purpose 'having access' is more important than 'quick draw'. If I'm on the bike my first instinct is going to be to pedal away from danger.
    May the Schwartz Be With You

Default Re: Conceal carry while riding a bicycle?

I have a 12 dollar blackhawk with minus level 8 retention, and I ride my atv through some pretty gnarly stuff,
    and never had a problem. I also used to ride a peddle bike, no problems there either.

Here's my rig.

(Montgomery County)

I forget what it is called, but they make that elastic band for women that goes around their waist. That may work. I use a Camelback when I mountain bike, so I just keep mine in there. Not very quick to draw, but I don't really think I'll need it where I ride.

Eta: here's a link with some examples https://www.amazon.com/elastic-waist...stband+holster

(York County)

Oh yeah a belly band. The concept is good. I wonder how they work in practice or if they are hot and sweaty and miserable when you're exercising.
    May the Schwartz Be With You

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

What kind of riding do you do? How far? What kind of bike - road, hybrid, cruiser, comfort bike?

I tried a belly band for running, but I sweat a lot and it was uncomfortable. My bike rides range from an hour or two to multi-day bike packing trips. I ride through some rough areas in the city, so I carry on-body. The only solution I've come up with is to carry my Kahr P380 in the thigh pockets of mountain biking shorts. They have an outer shell with pockets, and then padded inner shorts. The inner shorts keep my leg from getting chafed by the gun. Here's one pair that I own, but my favorite is another pair that have Velcro pocket flaps for quicker, easier access.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/outl...ike-short.html

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    What kind of riding do you do? How far? What kind of bike - road, hybrid, cruiser, comfort bike?

I tried a belly band for running, but I sweat a lot and it was uncomfortable. My bike rides range from an hour or two to multi-day bike packing trips. I ride through some rough areas in the city, so I carry on-body. The only solution I've come up with is to carry my Kahr P380 in the thigh pockets of mountain biking shorts. They have an outer shell with pockets, and then padded inner shorts. The inner shorts keep my leg from getting chafed by the gun. Here's one pair that I own, but my favorite is another pair that have Velcro pocket flaps for quicker, easier access.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/outl...ike-short.html
    Those are neat. I ride roads and rail trails, with the occasional off road trail. Nothing too technical that would involve a lot of bouncing.

I rotate between a hybrid for local stuff and a gravel bike for distance on trails. The gravel bike has me Ina more forward lean but nothing like a road racing stance.

My range is anything from a ride to the store all the way up to a century

I hadn't thought about a pocket carry because of the constant leg motion. It never even occured to me. That is easy enough to try though and I'll give it shot. I swap between athletic shorts and cargo shorts depending on what I'm doing. But when I do cargo shorts I used a non rigid web belt that has some give to it for comfort. Nothing that could reliabily and safely retain a gun or anything else with any weight at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    Oh yeah a belly band. The concept is good. I wonder how they work in practice or if they are hot and sweaty and miserable when you're exercising.
    Yes.

My wife wears one as a nurse in a hospital where she CAN NOT be made. It is highly concealable, but she hates wearing it.

(Franklin County)

https://comforttac.com/

I use this sometimes. Very comfortable.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

Hill people gear chest rig, for the most part fairly incognito. Doesn't scream gun and I can stash my phone along with advil etc in it. I paracord'd the holster to a loop inside it, and I leave the draw side zipper undone. Draw stroke is reach in, remove firearm, do work. Its the only way I have found to comfortably carry while backpacking, thats not a blatant open carry on hip belt.

They offer various sizes, colors and patterns
    https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Just saw a post on Instagram from Lena Miculek about conceal carrying in the heat.
    She showed on of these. Basically an elastic belt and you use your own holster

https://www.comfort-concealment.com/...cealment-belt/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast