Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Time to build an AR or keep waiting?

Have parts prices come down enough that it makes sense to build again? I don't need to build so I can keep waiting vs overpay.

All I have is a stripped lower & LPK right now. Planning to build a 20" barrel range toy.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Time to build an AR or keep waiting?

Quote Originally Posted by PlumCrazy View Post
    Have parts prices come down enough that it makes sense to build again? I don't need to build so I can keep waiting vs overpay.

All I have is a stripped lower & LPK right now. Planning to build a 20" barrel range toy.
    The parts market for name brand parts didn't really go up all that much. Availability dropped off. It is coming back now. I think waiting is a bad idea personally. Look at the political climate and the never ending virus plus the violence in major cities. Buy what you want now. It isn't going to get all that much better.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Parts prices are pretty good again.
    I would not wait just to possibly save twenty dollars.
    Everything can change pretty fast.

Thanks for the replies. Now I have to research what to go with. This is gonna be a headache lol

(Lehigh County)

I am in the process of building an LR 308 and all I know is that prices are higher than the typical AR-15.

That said I've been looking at prices to build another AR-15 and things don't look all that bad at this time. At least that's my opinion.

(Allegheny County)

Lower parts kits remained plentiful and affordable - unlike the 2012 panic when they shot up to $100+ and could not be found anywhere.
    Stripped uppers and lowers went up in price, but have since come back to almost pre-panic.
    What's an extra $5-10 for a lower in the grand scheme of things?
    Handguards and stocks are as plentiful as ever and not unreasonably priced at all.
    Barrels are easily found on sale for good prices. If you want a SPECIFIC barrel, it may be more difficult to find in stock.

Just start thinking about how you would like it to be set up and go from there.
    Buy a part here and there and toss it in a box. Before long, you'll have everything you need.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Lower parts kits remained plentiful and affordable - unlike the 2012 panic when they shot up to $100+ and could not be found anywhere.
    Stripped uppers and lowers went up in price, but have since come back to almost pre-panic.
    What's an extra $5-10 for a lower in the grand scheme of things?
    Handguards and stocks are as plentiful as ever and not unreasonably priced at all.
    Barrels are easily found on sale for good prices. If you want a SPECIFIC barrel, it may be more difficult to find in stock.

Just start thinking about how you would like it to be set up and go from there.
    Buy a part here and there and toss it in a box. Before long, you'll have everything you need.
    I never understood that... Until i built my first AR15. Now i have enough "spare" parts to build 2 more.

-Zach

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I never understood that... Until i built my first AR15. Now i have enough "spare" parts to build 2 more.

-Zach
    Lol

I was looking at my parts while digging out ammo for the shoot and found one of those super cheap pistol kits everyone was buying before things went crazy. Also found a stripped upper and a 9mm barrel and bolt. I have several stripped lowers too and at least one lpk and probably 90% of a second one.

Here I thought I couldn't afford a new gun for a while and I might have enough laying around from the last several years to build one or two.

(Beaver County)

I bought a billet receiver set at a local shop a month ago, I*ve been slowly ordering parts since then.
    The only issue I*m having is deciding what I want and then finding it in stock. Like I bought a bolt catch from one place, the spring from another, and the detent from a third place. Not so much an issue if you just buy a LPK but I*m running non mil spec stuff.
    Now I*m trying to find a Triggertech Diamond and they are out of stock everywhere.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    I bought a billet receiver set at a local shop a month ago, I*ve been slowly ordering parts since then.
    The only issue I*m having is deciding what I want and then finding it in stock. Like I bought a bolt catch from one place, the spring from another, and the detent from a third place. Not so much an issue if you just buy a LPK but I*m running non mil spec stuff.
    Now I*m trying to find a Triggertech Diamond and they are out of stock everywhere.
    Which one?
    Flat or curved?

I wasn't going to look for the best price without knowing which one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast