Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: AR Pistol to SBR Conversion Question

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    For an AR, you need to engrave the lower receiver. That's the SBR/NFA item. Barrel is on the upper, and removable from the upper receiver as well.

I've heard arguments for and against these, and it probably doesn't matter, but:

I've always file with the shortest barrel I think I'd ever use.

Keep an upper with the barrel length you filed.

If you ever venture near Pottstown, PA, Laswerworx does very nice NFA laser engraving. $50 last I new.
    Great info. Thank you! Will also look into Laserworx.

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    Check with some of the local jewelry shops, that's who I have do my form 1's. I'm actually waiting on him to finish up a couple silencer engravings right now, I gave him my sheet with the correct settings. Can post those later to relay if you want - He's using a diamond bit but I have all the settings he used written down.

. . .
    A jewelry shop, or a trophy shop, or anyone else who does engraving, BUT you can't just leave handguns or registered NFA firearms with them. If you're standing there while they engrave, fine, there's no transfer (I'm assuming that the engraver isn't a prohibited person, for whom simply holding the item would be a crime). But you can't legally just hand them a handgun or an NFA firearm and come back a few days later, unless they have the proper FFL/SOT.

Same issue for having a machinist or welder do some work on your guns. Long guns, probably OK. Handguns and NFA, nope, unless you stay right there in the shop while they do the work, and retain constructive possession.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by John7367 View Post
    Thank you Bob D! Any suggestion for engraving in DelCo? Is that done by a smith?
    If you supply the engraving kit for a Ghost Gunner I would do it for you for in exchange for the engraving kit.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    A jewelry shop, or a trophy shop, or anyone else who does engraving, BUT you can't just leave handguns or registered NFA firearms with them. If you're standing there while they engrave, fine, there's no transfer (I'm assuming that the engraver isn't a prohibited person, for whom simply holding the item would be a crime). But you can't legally just hand them a handgun or an NFA firearm and come back a few days later, unless they have the proper FFL/SOT.

Same issue for having a machinist or welder do some work on your guns. Long guns, probably OK. Handguns and NFA, nope, unless you stay right there in the shop while they do the work, and retain constructive possession.
    That's a good point I didn't think of, but I'm also not handing them a silencer or finished receiver. In the case of the silencers they're just getting the blast chamber piece that needs engraved. For all intense purposes it looks like a tube with threads on one side. The cups etc stay with me and get drilled out after the engraving is completed. There shouldn't be any legal issue with that correct?

This is basically the only piece the engraver gets - https://jkarmament.com/products/jk-smoke-stack-155

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    That's a good point I didn't think of, but I'm also not handing them a silencer or finished receiver. In the case of the silencers they're just getting the blast chamber piece that needs engraved. For all intense purposes it looks like a tube with threads on one side. The cups etc stay with me and get drilled out after the engraving is completed. There shouldn't be any legal issue with that correct?

This is basically the only piece the engraver gets - https://jkarmament.com/products/jk-smoke-stack-155
    That's a weird situation, and I'll wait for an attorney to clarify, but I think if you have an approved Form 1 that makes the tube a suppressor, so no leaving it with an unlicensed engraver.

Likely same for an 80% receiver. If it's recorded on an approved Form 1 I believe it's an NFA item.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

Very much appreciate this info! I did not even consider that. In my mind, I thought you'd just leave the lower. But of course, THAT'S THE FIREARM PART! (Head smack!) Thank you

(Delaware County)

Thanks to everyone for polite and informative the replies!

(Delaware County)

For an AR, you need to engrave the lower receiver. That's the SBR/NFA item. Barrel is on the upper, and removable from the upper receiver as well.

I've heard arguments for and against these, and it probably doesn't matter, but:

I've always file with the shortest barrel I think I'd ever use.

Keep an upper with the barrel length you filed.

If you ever venture near Pottstown, PA, Laswerworx does very nice NFA laser engraving. $50 last I new.

ATF regs state that you can mark the receiver or the barrel. The receiver alone is not the SBR. The barrel alone is not the SBR. It is an SBR only when it is assembled.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    ATF regs state that you can mark the receiver or the barrel. The receiver alone is not the SBR. The barrel alone is not the SBR. It is an SBR only when it is assembled.
    That is legally correct. Sorry if I stated it MUST be the lower receiver. However, you cannot then put that short upper on another lower, right? Because the SN of the registered SBR is from the lower receiver and now you'd have an SBR with a different SN?

And likewise, you would not be able to use another shorter than 16" upper on that lower, because again, you now have an unmarked SBR?

(Delaware County)

That is legally correct. Sorry if I stated it MUST be the lower receiver. However, you cannot then put that short upper on another lower, right? Because the SN of the registered SBR is from the lower receiver and now you'd have an SBR with a different SN?

And likewise, you would not be able to use another shorter than 16" upper on that lower, because again, you now have an unmarked SBR?

Keep the upper and lower together and you can put any SB upper,regardless of caliber or barrel length, on the lower. Temporary changes are permitted. ATF requests notification if the changes will be permanent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast