Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Red Dot on your pistol; what was your initial experience?

With all the new pistols supporting optics out today, I decided to finally jump into the fray and purchase a Hellcat with the Shield RD. BTW nice pistol. Red Dots aren't new to me - I've had them on my rifles for several years now and it works easily for me, however I am more of pistol shooter and an occasional rifle shooter. I can confidently say that I can make the transition from holster to target using iron sights with both eyes open fairly quickly and without struggling to find my front sight.

For me tho, there seems to be more drawbacks to the RD setup on a pistol than I would of thought. Here are some examples that I have personally encountered:

- With the smaller lens and overall footprint, I find it harder to pick up the red dot and as a result I find myself more preoccupied with looking for
    the dot than let's saying focusing on the target\threat. On the rifle with it shouldered that red dot is always there no matter how you move. Almost like a hologram on a wall.

- The red dot seems to jump and even wander off the lens at times - especially if moving and shooting. Maybe its something I need to get use to
    because the lens is small

- I also noticed that the RD lens tends to get dirty with lint when concealed under a shirt - so I find myself cleaning it often

- In some cases when using a flash light or there is a very bright back drop, I tend to lose the red dot.

On the plus side, my groups are tighter at longer ranges like 20-25 yards with the 3" Hellcat barrel.

Maybe I need more range time and practice before I throw in the towel and go back to iron sights... however part of me keeps wondering if I need a red dot on a pistol because most self defense shootings are up close and personal - so I've been told. I'd be curious to hear some other opinions on your transition experience to a RD on a pistol.

Cheers!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Red Dot on your pistol; what was your initial experience?

Haven't shot a pistol with a red dot yet but I wonder what the life expectancy of the pistol red dots will be because of the shock they receive vs a rifle one.

(Bucks County)

I have had a red dot on one pistol for several years now. It takes some time to get used to, and I still search for the dot. It’s great for shooting beyond 15 yards for groups, but for quick target acquisition under 10 yards, I still prefer open sights.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I have had a red dot on one pistol for several years now. It takes some time to get used to, and I still search for the dot. It*s great for shooting beyond 15 yards for groups, but for quick target acquisition under 10 yards, I still prefer open sights.
    I concur with this. I wouldn't put one on my EDC, but it's fun at the range.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    I concur with this. I wouldn't put one on my EDC, but it's fun at the range.
    I agree with both DK23 and franski. That's where I'm headed but I thought it was just me and wanted to give it a chance. Nice to get a reality check. Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Do You Need A Red Dot Sight On Your Carry Pistol?

Edit: I'll add that I tried a friend's pistols with red dots. Hated them.
    --ET

(Bucks County)

The new holosun/primary arms with the *Vulcan* retical (large circle) to indicate where the center pipper is located, seems to be
    The bee*s knees*..I*m running a couple of dot sights on my pistols*. And am definitely warming up to dot sights on handguns.
    I*m 54 and am developing the *short arms disease* (no, not that short arm), the one that makes me hold the thing I*m trying to read at full extension, due to aging eyes*. I have been having trouble getting the standard iron front sight in the sharp focus of my younger days, and find it a little frustrating that I can’t shoot as well as I once did. The red dot is much easier to pick up and focus on, but yeah it does take some getting used too….
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Wyoming County)

While I think it helps tremendously in hitting a target beyond 10 yards, I had a lot of difficulty quickly finding the dot.

My conclusion was: red dot great for target shooting/hunting, but for me is a "no-go" for carry/self-defense.

There are a lot of great videos discussing this very topic: the one by "Lucky gunner" posted above by "ett" was a great watch and one that I was going to share as well.

YMMV
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Delaware County)

That was a very informative video from Luckygunner.com. I concur with most everything that was said and experienced many of what he stated. I think after expending countless number of rounds over many years through numerous pistols, I'll stick with iron sights on my pistols and use the red dot for fun at the range. Thank you all for your insight and opinions.

(Susquehanna County)

I started using a red dot on my "Bullseye" pistols (except for Hardball) because I couldn't focus correctly on the front sight. Worked very well for me no problem adjusting to it from iron sights, but I found i still had to wear my prescription glasses.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast