Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for AR-15

(Delaware County)

Default Scope for AR-15

I have a new BRO AR-15 that needs some sort of scope. I have a Holosun on my other AR which is fine for close-range stuff and it works well up to 100 yds (depending.)

I've been researching various scopes and I'm more undecided than when I started. I want to shoot around 100-400 yds so I was thinking somewhere around a 4.5-15 zoom would work best. That's without actually using anything in that range.

There are so many scopes and I can't find reviews for most of them. I don't want anything super expensive or cheap. Something that is fairly high quality with a good warranty.

The "Leupold Mark 4 Extended Range Tactical M5 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-14x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal Matte" is $972 at Midway, but I did read folks complaints that Leupold wasn't what they were used to, but that seems like a good price.

The "Leica Amplus 6 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-18x 44mm 1cm Adjustments Illuminated L-Ballistic MOA BDC Reticle Matte" looks nice for $430 more, but they only have a 10 year warranty. It has a wider zoom range, which may be handy.

The "Athlon Optics Midas BTR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-27x 50mm 1/10 MIL Side Focus Illuminated APRS4 MIL Reticle Matte" is under $600 which seems a little cheap for what it is?

The "Athlon Optics Ares BTR Gen II Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-15x 50mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Side Focus First Focal Direct Dial Turret Illuminated APRS5 MIL Reticle Matte" is $800 and is illuminated, but I don't really expect to be shooting at night. But 2.5 - 15 is a good range.

There are a few "Vortex Optics Razor HD LHT Rifle Scope 3-15x 42mm" that look competitive in this range for $1000.

Lastly, the "U.S. Optics TS-12X Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-12x 52mm First Focal Exposed Elevation and Windage 1/10 MIL Matte" looks interesting. It's $565 and is much smaller.

I know this is a pretty general questions, but I am new to this and would appreciate any advice. All but Leica have lifetime warranties, as best as I can tell.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Scope for AR-15

I am curious as to what and why you are shooting out to 400 yards, and why you need such an expensive and high powered scope. I always thought of ARs as a short range weapon.
    I personally would opt for a low power wide field of view scope that is lightweight so as not to add bulk and unbalance the weapon. I have a TCC setup with various barrels, including a long .223 barrel that would be suitable for long range precision shooting, but even with this I would want to go lightweight. I've heard good things about Athlon and Vortex scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
    I have a new BRO AR-15 that needs some sort of scope. I have a Holosun on my other AR which is fine for close-range stuff and it works well up to 100 yds (depending.)

I've been researching various scopes and I'm more undecided than when I started. I want to shoot around 100-400 yds so I was thinking somewhere around a 4.5-15 zoom would work best. That's without actually using anything in that range.

There are so many scopes and I can't find reviews for most of them. I don't want anything super expensive or cheap. Something that is fairly high quality with a good warranty.

The "Leupold Mark 4 Extended Range Tactical M5 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-14x 50mm Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal Matte" is $972 at Midway, but I did read folks complaints that Leupold wasn't what they were used to, but that seems like a good price.

The "Leica Amplus 6 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-18x 44mm 1cm Adjustments Illuminated L-Ballistic MOA BDC Reticle Matte" looks nice for $430 more, but they only have a 10 year warranty. It has a wider zoom range, which may be handy.

The "Athlon Optics Midas BTR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-27x 50mm 1/10 MIL Side Focus Illuminated APRS4 MIL Reticle Matte" is under $600 which seems a little cheap for what it is?

The "Athlon Optics Ares BTR Gen II Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 2.5-15x 50mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Side Focus First Focal Direct Dial Turret Illuminated APRS5 MIL Reticle Matte" is $800 and is illuminated, but I don't really expect to be shooting at night. But 2.5 - 15 is a good range.

There are a few "Vortex Optics Razor HD LHT Rifle Scope 3-15x 42mm" that look competitive in this range for $1000.

Lastly, the "U.S. Optics TS-12X Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-12x 52mm First Focal Exposed Elevation and Windage 1/10 MIL Matte" looks interesting. It's $565 and is much smaller.

I know this is a pretty general questions, but I am new to this and would appreciate any advice. All but Leica have lifetime warranties, as best as I can tell.

(Allegheny County)

For optics reviews, also check out Ilya. He tests a ton, gets into the weeds, and doesn't pull punches.

https://darklordofoptics.locals.com

https://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=52

My 2 cents would be they make 1-8 and 1-10 LVPOs now. Should cover going out to 400.

(Luzerne County)

I am a little late to his parade. I opted for a Trijicon TA01 4x fixed. I have had it for years. It remains he clearest scope that I have looked through.No doubt that the have gotten pricey. Worth every penny. It works fine for targets out to 600 yards.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Bucks County)

Vortex Viper is pretty good if you shop around...clear glass and second focal plane... Great warranty

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post

Of those listed go with the Leupold, as far as distance depending on the bullet you can stretch it to 600. I've done 300 regularly with pdogs in SD super easy.

(Somerset County)

Primary arms GLX 2.5-10 out vortex viper pst2 in same mag range

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraparoundrob View Post
    I am curious as to what and why you are shooting out to 400 yards, and why you need such an expensive and high powered scope. I always thought of ARs as a short range weapon.
    I personally would opt for a low power wide field of view scope that is lightweight so as not to add bulk and unbalance the weapon. I have a TCC setup with various barrels, including a long .223 barrel that would be suitable for long range precision shooting, but even with this I would want to go lightweight. I've heard good things about Athlon and Vortex scopes.
    Just an FYI, In the Marines We would qualify 200,300 & 500 yards with 20" ironsighted musket A1's. The 500 yard string I thought was the easiest shooting the baker target, a 20"x 40" man torso silhouette 10 shots in 10 minutes prone, I consistency shot a perfect score at this stage, at that range the front sight post eclipsed the 20" wide "bullseye" almost exactly making it a chip shot, I'm sure that 55grain bullet at that range is still quite lethal

(Lancaster County)

An addendum to my above post, with my eyes going on six decades, irons are just about No Buenos any more, as far as optics, the 1970 called and wants their scopes back, LOL!!! what worked for me 4-years ago still does fine these are Colt branded and very good quality with BDC turret regulated for the 55 gr load to 500 yards

20161226_185303.jpg

(Northumberland County)

I have a couple higher power Athlon scopes (including a Midas) and really like them for what they are, but mine are on bolt action long range set ups... I can't imagine that much scope on an AR. Athlon as a company makes a good scope for "less than comparable" prices....I'd recommend one of their lower power offerings for an AR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast