Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: 3D Printing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    I had the printer at my shop last week when it was in the 90s to try the abs. Hoping it would help, but it still curled right up. I guess I'll need to try an enclosure. Probably a better hot end too. I would like to try nylon and thw carbon fiber sounds cool
    An enclosure might help, might actually need to heat it as well. I've successfully printed lots of ABS without a enclosure, but it was all relatively small pieces with a small footprint. Anything that's a large footprint and gets too tall will have a tendency to warp.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    An enclosure might help, might actually need to heat it as well. I've successfully printed lots of ABS without a enclosure, but it was all relatively small pieces with a small footprint. Anything that's a large footprint and gets too tall will have a tendency to warp.
    I didn't put much effort in just tried a tool holder for the cnc. They both warped within the first 1/4" of height. I would like to be able to print it consistently

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    I didn't put much effort in just tried a tool holder for the cnc. They both warped within the first 1/4" of height. I would like to be able to print it consistently
    What temp did you have the bed set at, did you try any type of adhesive on the bed, like Elmer's Stick glue? (Don't go generic, get Elmer's)
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Carbon County)

Look into the polycarbonate blends. If your printer can reach the required temps it's much more forgiving to print then abs, doesn't stink to high heaven, is stronger, and can withstand higher temps. In my experience it also prints great.

I use the prusa stuff but there are a few options out there.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    Look into the polycarbonate blends. If your printer can reach the required temps it's much more forgiving to print then abs, doesn't stink to high heaven, is stronger, and can withstand higher temps. In my experience it also prints great.

I use the prusa stuff but there are a few options out there.
    good to know ... my printer will soon be well capable of higher temps ... as soon as I re-engineer it yet again.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What temp did you have the bed set at, did you try any type of adhesive on the bed, like Elmer's Stick glue? (Don't go generic, get Elmer's)
    My max is 100 on the bed and 250 on extruder and I had it all the way up. I didn't have glue stick but after the first one lifted I sprayed the bed with Elmer's spray glue and that didn't work at all. Just made it slimey and messy. Went back to pla. I'll give it a try again at some point. I would like to try the polycarbonate. I read a little about it after it was mentioned here

(Allegheny County)

Well, I thought this thread may just be what I need to get me interested in actually pursuing this.
    Two pages in and I'm like "this sounds like a pain in the ass".

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Well, I thought this thread may just be what I need to get me interested in actually pursuing this.
    Two pages in and I'm like "this sounds like a pain in the ass".
    It hasn't been from my experience, with the exception of trying ABS, which really should be printed in an enclosure for anything big. Most other plastics are easy to print with.

I started with my first prusa printer a few years back. Got it, took it out of the box, downloaded a file from thingiverse and told it to print. Few hours later I had an object.

Just like everything else, if you buy the cheaper stuff (printers, plastic) expect to have to mess with it. My small army of prusa printers require shockingly little to keep on printing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    It hasn't been from my experience, with the exception of trying ABS, which really should be printed in an enclosure for anything big. Most other plastics are easy to print with.

I started with my first prusa printer a few years back. Got it, took it out of the box, downloaded a file from thingiverse and told it to print. Few hours later I had an object.

Just like everything else, if you buy the cheaper stuff (printers, plastic) expect to have to mess with it. My small army of prusa printers require shockingly little to keep on printing.
    I'll second this.. Sure, abs didn't work for me but I put about 2 minutes into it. Everything else has printed flawlessly. There's definitely a lot of useless stuff to print, but also a lot of useful stuff. It can take a while to print things but you don't have to be there. I would set up a part or multiple parts to print in the evening, check on it an hour or so in to make sure adhereing to the bed and going well, then in the morning I have a part or parts done. The cnc can't be left unattended but also works a lot faster.

(Northampton County)

Dont be discouraged man. Sure there’s a learning curve but start small. So far I’ve only used PLA+ for my prints with amazing results. I bought an Ender 3 and so far have only had minor tinkering with it. Search for CTRLPEW and find their website there’s a ton of info on getting started there.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast