Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Question HB 1718 Increased Penalties for unlicensed carry

I have to say I'm ambivalent this one. But, I am curious about how many arrest and convictions have been made under the existing felony penalty. Anyone know?

Regular Session 2021-2022
    House Bill 1718
    Short Title: An Act amending Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, in firearms and other dangerous articles, further providing for firearms not to be carried without a license.
    Prime Sponsor: Representative DeLUCA
    Last Action: Referred to JUDICIARY, July 8, 2021 [House]
    Memo: Increasing Penalties for Unlicensed Carry of a Firearm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Default Re: HB 1718 Increased Penalties for unlicensed carry

I am a believer in Constitutional Carry. Any increase in penalty for carrying without a license is a step backwards in my eyes. Increasing the penalty for carrying without a license is Unconstitutional in my opinion.

On one hand if it gets the thug culture practitioners of the mexican carry off the streets so much the better, but on the other hand if PA goes constitutional carry this would be irrelevant unless the detainee were a prohibited person, in that case there would need to be anew law definingthe stricter penalties
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    I am a believer in Constitutional Carry. Any increase in penalty for carrying without a license is a step backwards in my eyes. Increasing the penalty for carrying without a license is Unconstitutional in my opinion.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    --ET

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    On one hand if it gets the thug culture practitioners of the mexican carry off the streets so much the better, but on the other hand if PA goes constitutional carry this would be irrelevant unless the detainee were a prohibited person, in that case there would need to be anew law definingthe stricter penalties
    In my opinion; the whole concept of "prohibited person" is a bunch of BS.
    If a person is a danger to society; then they belong behind bars. Otherwise they should have all their Rights.
    --ET

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    This exactly. Carry is a right. We need to be pushing hard for Constitutional Carry, not letting crap like this slide through just because it probably doesn't affect most of us.

21 other states have Constitutional Carry now, and Louisiana is just a veto override vote away from passing it too (they should have the votes).

We have a section in the PA Constitution (Article 1, Section 21) which states "The right of the Citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." Yet, we still have this unconstitutional laws on our books and proposals like this being made. It must end. We have to demand better from our legislators and Governor and not be ambivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    If a person is a danger to society; then they belong behind bars. Otherwise they should have all their Rights.
    Agreed. Criminals are either locked up or walking free and capable of harming others. There is no magic bubble that follows them around to stop them from doing evil just because they were released. It's not like they aren't capable of getting a weapon and harming people if they wanted to. Laws don't stop criminals from doing what they are going to do. That's why they are criminals to begin with.

Besides, prohibited persons in possession of firearms (whether "carrying" or not) is already a felony under our current laws, so why increase the penalty on an unconstitutional law that affects non-prohibited persons who are exercising their natural right?
    I am not a lawyer.

(Bucks County)

Never the intent.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Chester County)

On one hand if it gets the thug culture practitioners of the mexican carry off the streets so much the better, but on the other hand if PA goes constitutional carry this would be irrelevant unless the detainee were a prohibited person, in that case there would need to be anew law defining the stricter penalties
    Thinking logically about this...there are already enough laws on the books to get thugs who carry guns off of the streets, but cities decline to use them. Instead, the thugs walk free time and time again. So why would another law have any effect on this?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    This exactly.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Thinking logically about this...there are already enough laws on the books to get thugs who carry guns off of the streets, but cities decline to use them. Instead, the thugs walk free time and time again. So why would another law have any effect on this?
    You mean like Krasner?
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast