Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: can i open carry on my own land if i have a concealed carry licensed

Quote Originally Posted by partsguy View Post
    Hi, I hold a concealed carry permit in Wayne county. I know i can't open carry in public with it, but can i open carry on my own land?
    thanks scott
    You clearly know WRONGLY.

Side note:
    Other than cities of First Class; which currently only Philly is classed; PA is an Open Carry state.
    --ET

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: can i open carry on my own land if i have a concealed carry licensed

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Seeing as he didn't specify and his bio says Staten Island, that's what I went with but you might be right.
    Look at his previous posts.
    He's a retired Staten Islander; that has moved to PA.
    And appears to have a bit to learn.
    --ET

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Look at his previous posts.
    He's a retired Staten Islander; that has moved to PA.
    And appears to have a bit to learn.
    Aaaaa ok, that explains his line of thinking then.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by partsguy View Post
    Hi, I hold a concealed carry permit in Wayne county. I know i can't open carry in public with it, but can i open carry on my own land?
    thanks scott
    Now that you are a resident of PA:

1) Call your PA state representative (or is it senator ?) and ask them to send you a copy of the "Pennsylvania Laws Relating To Firearms".
    It's a booklet that's about 150 pages.

2) Some where on this forum; is a post from which you can download and print out; a trifold that summarizes PA gun laws.
    I believe this is the related post: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=7481
    Last edited by ett; July 5th, 2021 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added link to trifold/flyer
    --ET

(Lancaster County)

partsguy, welcome to pennswoods, yes you can open carry on your land provided you are not a prohibited person, with or without a LTCF

(Allegheny County)

Is this Sal or Murr ?

I've mentioned before, I had an ADA charge my client with "open carrying with an LTCF", basically "failure to conceal". He relied on 18 PA CS § 6109. "Licenses. (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth."

It's not even a criminal provision. There is no statute in PA that says you have to conceal; in fact, what we have is statutes saying you MAY NOT conceal, without an LTCF. Open carry is not a violation of 6109, the license is usually irrelevant to open carry*.

Judge tossed it, of course, but that's the level of ignorance even among some prosecutors and some cops. I had an introductory meeting at a PA gun club where they told us that we couldn't use a hip holster, because "concealed means concealed", which is a tautology, but irrelevant to the point he thought he had.

The example I came up with was this: I can ride a bike, but without a license I can't drive a car. Getting a driver's license doesn't mean I forfeit the right to ride a bike, it just means I can ALSO drive a car.

In places and times where you could legally open carry without a license, you do not give up the option to open carry if you get the license. *Philadelphia is a place where state law requires an LTCF to open carry, and during times of emergency, open carry is prohibited state-wide without an LTCF.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

Do you still have a front license plate? If you do, the answer is no.
    You must be a Pa. resident for at least 5 years and prove to a reasonable standard that you have not voted for insane bull shit you voted for before that drove you to us in the first place.
    Run on sentence not withstanding, is that clear enough for you?
    You're welcome.

xxxooo
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I've mentioned before, I had an ADA charge my client with "open carrying with an LTCF", basically "failure to conceal". He relied on 18 PA CS § 6109. "Licenses. (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth."

It's not even a criminal provision. There is no statute in PA that says you have to conceal; in fact, what we have is statutes saying you MAY NOT conceal, without an LTCF. Open carry is not a violation of 6109, the license is usually irrelevant to open carry*.

Judge tossed it, of course, but that's the level of ignorance even among some prosecutors and some cops. I had an introductory meeting at a PA gun club where they told us that we couldn't use a hip holster, because "concealed means concealed", which is a tautology, but irrelevant to the point he thought he had.

The example I came up with was this: I can ride a bike, but without a license I can't drive a car. Getting a driver's license doesn't mean I forfeit the right to ride a bike, it just means I can ALSO drive a car.

In places and times where you could legally open carry without a license, you do not give up the option to open carry if you get the license. *Philadelphia is a place where state law requires an LTCF to open carry, and during times of emergency, open carry is prohibited state-wide without an LTCF.
    That's just common sense, but of course the OP is from New York state. where common sense is not common.

(Allegheny County)

This thread is funny.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast