Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Small revolver recomendation

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    It's funny you linked to the PX-4. I shot the LCR in .357 mag and the PX-4 on the same day. A friend of mine brought both out to a range day. I did not like shooting the Beretta one bit. The ergonomics do not work for me. The LCR was OK with hot .38 rounds. .357 was unpleasant, but nothing like shooting .38+p out of my S&W 642. Christ that thing sucked to shoot.

My same friend with the PX-4 and the LCR tried my wife's SP101. She liked it so much that she went out the next week and bought one...along with a Colt Anaconda...go figure.
    I like the px4 subcompact. I get that the Beretta ergonomics aren't for everybody. The slide mounted safety/decocker is a deal breaker for a lot of people. I carry it with a 13 round magazine in it and a 17 round magazine from the full size px4 as a spare. My hands just fit on the grip.

It isn't as comfortable as a full size pistol to shoot, but I shoot it pretty well and for its size, it fits my needs. And it holds 8 more rounds than a j frame.

-Zach

(Berks County)

The S&W J frame should fit your price and there in 38 special.

(Monroe County)

I have and carry a Smith & Wesson 638. (.38 SPL +P) Works flawlessly and is really light.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Before i posted my unpopular opinion, i wanted to do a quick comparison:
    https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...esson-model-60

Why choose an uncomfortable gun with such a limited capacity that is longer and taller than a semi auto?

Yes they can be marginally lighter and maybe less wide. I picked the Beretta as an example/comparison just because that is what i have.

The only reason I could maybe justify is some sort of neurological condition which made racking the slide difficult. But shooting a j frame snubby is surely going to aggravate those very same conditions.

My recommendation is don't.

If you want a wheel gun, get one that you are going to enjoy shooting. It likely won't be a j frame.

-Zach
    A J frame sized revolver doesn't need to be uncomfortable to shoot. One of the great things about a revolver (especially common brands) is the almost unlimited choices in stocks. In addition to stocks, you also have choices in material (weight) that can make it easier to shoot.
    Ive got an older steel J frame with a Hogue grip that is an absolute joy to shoot compared to my Airweight with CTC boot grip.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    In the market for a 2" revolver. Under 500$ 38 special prefered but would try others.
    Ive read a few articles which say the Taurus is the best low cost option.
    Any opinions?
    S&W and Ruger have been at the pinnacle of quality Revolvers for many years but Taurus has closed the gap considerably. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Taurus. Charter Arms and others probably work fine as well but just don't have the aftermarket the better well known brands do.

First off you need to have a plan on what you want to do with the gun, how do you envision carrying it. If you plan to pocket carry you may want a lighter model with no exposed hammer, if you plan to carry it on your hip you may opt for a heavier steel model with a hammer and longer barrel. These things are actually going to be more important than choosing which brand you buy.
    The Hostler

(Mifflin County)

The Smith Wesson 38 special is my choice .

(Chester County)

My 342 easily my favorite edc. I know it’s over budget but you could find an airweight in that price range.

(Pike County)

S&W 642 J-frame - Its an airweight (weighs less than a pound) that fits nicely in a pants pocket; and if the kick bothers you, shoot lighter bullets - 110 or 125 grain - thru it.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-642

(Bucks County)

S&W J frame. Many options. Durable, reliable, common

Older Model 37 Airweight.

As others pointed out , no they are not fun to shoot extensively unless you have grips that fit your hand. They are not range toys to run 100rds thru.

But they are 101% RELIABLE! Generally more accurate than any auto of similar size/weight/power.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast