Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Re: New Ruger LCP Max

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    had one of these come in to the shop in 9mm. overall it wasnt all that great. the 9mm is shipping with two mags, but the .380 is still shipping with one for some reason. the trigger pull is still horrible as with most all ruger pistols. the sights aren't bad and Ruger isn't exactly breaking ground with anything new to the market on these. its a higher capacity hand gun which Sig has been doing for years as well as Springfield. the price point of the 9mm version is the same as better made pistols of the same specs so im not sure what the big deal is on this one. that being said, its new so many people will run out and buy it, take it to the range, hate it, and then sell it off.
    It doesn't come in 9mm. That would be the Max 9 which is a different firearm.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by edmundfitz1975 View Post
    It doesn't come in 9mm. That would be the Max 9 which is a different firearm.
    same crap trigger. same late to market copy. the only new thing about the "max" lines of pistols is that Ruger doesn't offer a warranty on them. Ruger has really taken a nose dive over the last year or two. on the other hand, their price points keep going up and quality keeps going down. soon they will be just as expensive as much better handguns

(Lycoming County)

same crap trigger. same late to market copy. the only new thing about the "max" lines of pistols is that Ruger doesn't offer a warranty on them. Ruger has really taken a nose dive over the last year or two. on the other hand, their price points keep going up and quality keeps going down. soon they will be just as expensive as much better handguns
    Nobody else has done a double stack, micro 380 that I've seen. Doesn't seem late to the market to me. The Max 9, yeah maybe, but the 380 is definitely not the same pistol. Everybody is jumping on the band wagon started by the 365 a year late, Ruger, Taurus, and Smith and Wesson all just released their version recently. This is something at least a little different.

Ruger never offered a specified warranty on any of their guns. The almost always fix issues from my experience though, even if you aren't the original purchaser.

I haven't felt the trigger on this new one, but my original lcp had a horrible trigger. It was a pocket gun made for bad breath distance, so I didn't see it as a huge issue. I rather like the trigger on some others compared to the competition.

Seems you have a bias against them a little. I haven't heard of any QC issues recently, but maybe I'm out of the loop. Can't be any worse than sigs problems in the last couple years though.

(Lycoming County)

Nobody else has done a double stack, micro 380 that I've seen. Doesn't seem late to the market to me. The Max 9, yeah maybe, but the 380 is definitely not the same pistol. Everybody is jumping on the band wagon started by the 365 a year late, Ruger, Taurus, and Smith and Wesson all just released their version recently. This is something at least a little different.

Ruger never offered a specified warranty on any of their guns. The almost always fix issues from my experience though, even if you aren't the original purchaser.

I haven't felt the trigger on this new one, but my original lcp had a horrible trigger. It was a pocket gun made for bad breath distance, so I didn't see it as a huge issue. I rather like the trigger on some others compared to the competition.

Seems you have a bias against them a little. I haven't heard of any QC issues recently, but maybe I'm out of the loop. Can't be any worse than sigs problems in the last couple years though.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post

so the Ruger warranty issue is that they no longer have one. they used to provide a warranty in writing (warranty card) but no longer include it with their firearms and as such, no longer give you an actual warranty for repair or replacement. it is up to their discretion to fix anything or nothing at all. As for Sig, I can tell you that a customer of mine had an issue with an older Sig 1911. he sent it back and they replaced it with a Legion pistol with Romeo sight for free. thats pretty damn good customer service.

as for bias.....I guess you could call it that. Ruger is a cheaply made gun company anymore. Their handguns are nothing new, innovative, or comparable to the competition. they have made no impact on the market in years and their handguns are poor sellers. customers often opt for Taurus, Springfields, and Sigs after the pull the trigger on Ruger handguns (especially the LCP and LCP II models). The worst trigger pull is the LCP which prompted Ruger to "fix" that issue with the LCP II which still falls short of a fix. while it was nice that Ruger jumped into the 90s by adding optics ready slides to their handguns, the lack of night sights and other options at the price point they bring to market makes them grossly out gunned in the handgun area. why pay $550 for a Max-9 when you can grab a P365 for the same price or a Hellcat for less? that being said, the LCP II is nothing more than a point and shoot pistol like you mentioned.

with that in mind, why add the tritium outline front sight to a handgun that still has an atrocious trigger pull and cannot be fired accurately by the market it is intended for? my question to Ruger would be why put lipstick on a pig? at the end of the day, Ruger needs to stop trying to compete in aesthetics and instead, fix their crap triggers.

(Monroe County)

so the Ruger warranty issue is that they no longer have one. they used to provide a warranty in writing (warranty card) but no longer include it with their firearms and as such, no longer give you an actual warranty for repair or replacement. it is up to their discretion to fix anything or nothing at all. As for Sig, I can tell you that a customer of mine had an issue with an older Sig 1911. he sent it back and they replaced it with a Legion pistol with Romeo sight for free. thats pretty damn good customer service.

as for bias.....I guess you could call it that. Ruger is a cheaply made gun company anymore. Their handguns are nothing new, innovative, or comparable to the competition. they have made no impact on the market in years and their handguns are poor sellers. customers often opt for Taurus, Springfields, and Sigs after the pull the trigger on Ruger handguns (especially the LCP and LCP II models). The worst trigger pull is the LCP which prompted Ruger to "fix" that issue with the LCP II which still falls short of a fix. while it was nice that Ruger jumped into the 90s by adding optics ready slides to their handguns, the lack of night sights and other options at the price point they bring to market makes them grossly out gunned in the handgun area. why pay $550 for a Max-9 when you can grab a P365 for the same price or a Hellcat for less? that being said, the LCP II is nothing more than a point and shoot pistol like you mentioned.

with that in mind, why add the tritium outline front sight to a handgun that still has an atrocious trigger pull and cannot be fired accurately by the market it is intended for? my question to Ruger would be why put lipstick on a pig? at the end of the day, Ruger needs to stop trying to compete in aesthetics and instead, fix their crap triggers.
    I'm getting rid of my LCP for exactly the reason above...crap trigger. And my finger hardly fits in the trigger guard. I didn't pay much for it, and it just doesn't fit me well so bye bye. My Kahr p 380 is a far better pistol in terms of trigger, fit and recoil. Don't know why, but the Ruger is one snappy sob. Kahr has no such unpleasantness from recoil, bigger trigger guard, silky trigger, and stainless slide. Yeah, it cost twice as much as the Ruger, but you get what you pay for.

I just haven't seen a Ruger poly pistol that really caught my eye, ever (maybe the 5 7, maybe). This one included. If I am concerned enough to carry a double stack, it's going to be in 9mm.

Ruger certainly does like to keep their engineering department busy. Seems like they puke out a new poly gun every 6 months and a new poly series every couple years. Kinda like Taurus.

Love My mk3, 22/45lite, and my p90 though.

(Lycoming County)

I don't remember getting a warranty card with any of mine, but I own mostly older models. Newest one I have was the security nine and I don't honestly remember if it had one or not. I bought it to check out because it was cheap compared to my G19 and similar in size, weight, capacity, etc. I think the trigger on that one is actually better than the 19 trigger. I've never really been a fan of any of the modern polymer guns though. I have mostly revolvers from them and some older P-series guns. Love my MK II target model too, but again it's an old model. I'll have to check out some of their newer stuff closer, but I agree everything being equal, for 500+ I'd probably just buy the 365 over the Ruger in that category.

(Bucks County)

When I realized that no warranty card came with a Ruger that I purchased, I looked into this. I have to add that I have yet to have a concern that wasn't promptly resolved by Ruger. From their site...

The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger® firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Still carry my LCP regularly, this looks like a nice upgrade, although I'll wait about a year to see if there are any problems or recalls with the Max.
    Same. The LCP is my go-to when I can't look like I'm carrying. To nearly double the capacity would be amazing.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Cumberland County)

I have a couple lcp's but had to get this max today when my gunshop showed it to me. Can hardly tell it's much thicker - really. I was just amazed with such a small gun with 12+1 capacity with the additional mag.. Great Summer carry imo.

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast