Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Anyone "into" old muzzleloading shotgus

Lady brought two old muzzle loading shotguns for me to evaluate for her to sell. She knows that they probably will sell as "to be refurbished" wall hangers and are not to be fired.

Here is what I got from them so far:

#1 Flintlock, 20 ga, "Ketland (over) Adams" on the right side below the pan, Octagonal to round barrel, 36" barrel, "London" on top of barrel 2 1/2" forward of rear of barrel, with ramrod. Ramrod has cup front (non metallic) and rear has metal twiste that looks like it could twist into a lead ball (or at least the patch.

#2 Percussion, 10 ga, SxS, "Mantan" on both sides, round barrels, 39" barrels, "London Fixe Twist" on top on rib between the barrels 3 1/2" forward of the rear of barrel, with ramrod. Front ramrod holder has broken loose from the barrels. Ramrod has cup front (metal) and screw threads on rear.

Just got them so I'll try to get good pictures this weekend. Gauage was determined by my choke/gauge fixture and verified by measuring and converting the dimensions to gauge.

With some TLC I think they would make nice pieces to display.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; July 1st, 2021 at 08:49 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Anyone "into" old muzzleloading shotgus

I know very little about muzzle loaders, but do have a question for someone here. I see double barrel flintlocks for sale once and a while. Would you prime both pans while hunting?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Lady brought two old muzzle loading shotguns for me to evaluate for her to sell. She knows that they probably will sell as "to be refurbished" wall hangers and are not to be fired.

Here is what I got from them so far:

#1 Flintlock, 20 ga, "Ketland (over) Adams" on the right side below the pan, Octagonal to round barrel, 36" barrel, "London" on top of barrel 2 1/2" forward of rear of barrel, with ramrod. Ramrod has cup front (non metallic) and rear has metal twiste that looks like it could twist into a lead ball (or at least the patch.

#2 Percussion, 10 ga, SxS, "Mantan" on both sides, round barrels, 39" barrels, "London Fixe Twist" on top on rib between the barrels 3 1/2" forward of the rear of barrel, with ramrod. Front ramrod holder has broken loose from the barrels. Ramrod has cup front (metal) and screw threads on rear.

Just got them so I'll try to get good pictures this weekend. Gauge was determined by my choke/gauge fixture and verified by measuring and converting the dimensions to gauge.

With some TLC I think they would make nice pieces to display.
    I'd be interested in seeing pics of the flintlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I know very little about muzzle loaders, but do have a question for someone here. I see double barrel flintlocks for sale once and a while. Would you prime both pans while hunting?

Yes. How are you supposed to take a follow-up shot if you're fiddling for your priming powder?

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing pics of the flintlock.

Same.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Yes. How are you supposed to take a follow-up shot if you're fiddling for your priming powder?
    The reason I asked is because it takes almost nothing to set off my primer pan. Be a little dicey with two primed pans, wouldn't it?

(Centre County)

Here are some pics of both:

SxS

Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

The end with the auger is to retrieve patches from the bore that slipped off the rod when cleaning, it*s called a Worm.
    The end with the screw is to pull a lead ball. Sometimes, in the heat of the hunt, you forget to put the powder in the bore before loading a ball.

(Lancaster County)

The perc looks like a fairly standard mid/late 19th century English/Belgian shotgun. You'd have to make sure the the the barrels are sound as well as the weld between the two barrels before contemplating shooting it.

The flintlock fowler looks to be in pretty good shape. It appears that the top jaw on the hammer may be cracked but that repairable/replaceable. It would be a shame to hang that on a wall as an ornament.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    The reason I asked is because it takes almost nothing to set off my primer pan. Be a little dicey with two primed pans, wouldn't it?
    You're not walking around with the hammers cocked, so that shouldn't be an issue. If you're worried about it, use a frizzen cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast