Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Anyone "into" old muzzleloading shotgus

That made no sense at all. I get enough spark and flash sometimes to easily set off the opposite pan, even with the frizzen down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    That made no sense at all. I get enough spark and flash sometimes to easily set off the opposite pan, even with the frizzen down.

None of the side-by-side flintlocks I've owned and/or used for hunting had a problem with both barrels going off when one lock was triggered.

Maybe you've got a gap between the frizzen and the pan, or your frizzen is loose enough that it's moving forward and exposing the pan and touch hole when the other lock goes off. Maybe you're using too much priming powder and the frizzen isn't closing all the way. A properly closed frizzen should not be affected by the firing of the opposite lock.

You could always try bees wax or petroleum jelly around the lip of the pan to seal out moisture and sparks from the opposite lock. Obviously test this before you take the gun out in the field. Figure out how much works without effecting the charge in the pan.

(Centre County)

With what the pictures show - any thoughts on value? Couple hundred bucks each? On line the ones that are selling are in much, MUCH better condition and do bring pretty good prices but these ain't them. I know the lady who brought them to me is looking to sell.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Post them in the classifieds over at muzzleloadingforum.com and see what folks offer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12