Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Delaware travel

(Westmoreland County)

Default Delaware travel

I'm a bit unclear on the law here so maybe someone could help. We're going on vacation in Delaware. If I brought a pistol in a small safe to keep at the vacation house, would this be legal? My travel route goes via Maryland.
    I have no other permit than PA LTCF. The FOPA interstate transport law says that it must be legal for you to posses and carry in both origin and destination. It appears that open carry is legal for anyone in Delaware, is that enough to count?

Default Re: Delaware travel

No reciprocity with either state. If you wish to obey their laws, I would leave it, (the pistol), home. You aren't driving through DE to Maryland for an extended stay to go "directly" to a shooting range or duck hunting with a vehicle full of the family with luggage, sunscreen and pool noodles. If you're in an disabling accident with the car or an incident with that gun in your car or in your possession at the condo or God forbid, if you have to defend yourself and or family with it, you will be in trouble with that state's law enforcement. It's just how it is. Your question asks "is it legal?" IMHO, no. It's not "legal" to do so.
    I am a non-attorney opinionated spokesperson and am most likely in the realm of the minority of how the populist actually knows in certainty about anything that flows from my mouth or keyboard.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Leaving the carry advise to others but a travel suggestion:

Avoid MD. From western PA you can go over to Harrisburg, through PA Dutch land and drop into DE. I can't imagine your vacation home isn't easily reached from the north and MD free. We take that route just to avoid the Bay Bridge congestion. It's longer but one accident near the bridge levels the scale. PA Dutch country (Rt 30) is no picnic in-season either. You can take alternates around 30. Anyway, safe travels.

If you're near Fenwick check out Lighthouse guns, nice shop. Hook 'em and Cook 'em in South Bethany is also interesting. Obviously very limited on what you can easily buy as an out of stater,

On CCW, Utah covers DE but if you don't have it by now that's a never mind.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    No reciprocity with either state. If you wish to obey their laws, I would leave it, (the pistol), home. You aren't driving through DE to Maryland for an extended stay to go "directly" to a shooting range or duck hunting with a vehicle full of the family with luggage, sunscreen and pool noodles. If you're in an disabling accident with the car or an incident with that gun in your car or in your possession at the condo or God forbid, if you have to defend yourself and or family with it, you will be in trouble with that state's law enforcement. It's just how it is. Your question asks "is it legal?" IMHO, no. It's not "legal" to do so.
    I am a non-attorney opinionated spokesperson and am most likely in the realm of the minority of how the populist actually knows in certainty about anything that flows from my mouth or keyboard.
    OP stated going *to* DE *via* MD. The question was whether s/he is considered legal in DE so as to be covered by FOPA while transiting MD.

IMO, yes. But remember, it's a defense, not a legality.

My 2˘
    YMMV
    IANAL
    etc...

You are legal to carry in Pa

You are legal to open carry in Delaware

If you are passing through Maryland and following the procedures as outlined in FOPA, I think you have a legitimate defense if needed.

The above is opinion and not legal advice.

Avoid MD if possible, avoid Baltimore area definitely. There was a case a few years back where some rent-a-cop (harbor police?) stopped an out of state (NC ?)
    car for apparently no other reason except to search (legal CCW in their home state) to see if they are carrying through MD, violating FOPA.

[Edit: MTAP pulled over FL driver: https://www.freedomfightersfoundatio...traffic-stops/ ]

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmConvert View Post
    I'm a bit unclear on the law here so maybe someone could help. We're going on vacation in Delaware. If I brought a pistol in a small safe to keep at the vacation house, would this be legal? My travel route goes via Maryland.
    I have no other permit than PA LTCF. The FOPA interstate transport law says that it must be legal for you to posses and carry in both origin and destination. It appears that open carry is legal for anyone in Delaware, is that enough to count?
    If you are OCing in DE and get in a vehicle, you need to place it in “plain sight” – on the unoccupied passenger seat or on the dash.

(Westmoreland County)

It would just stay locked in its box through MD and DE to the house, not going to carry out anywhere.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    If you are OCing in DE and get in a vehicle, you need to place it in *plain sight* * on the unoccupied passenger seat or on the dash.
    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmConvert View Post
    It would just stay locked in its box through MD and DE to the house, not going to carry out anywhere.
    Unless transporting in FOPA mode, if you open carry loaded in a vehicle in Delaware, it must be visible as noted above. If you haven't already done so, review DE rules here:

https://handgunlaw.us/states/delaware.pdf
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt