Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default General Help Needed

I can work on a lot of different handguns, both SA and DA, especially if I have something to reference back to. In this case, I have no references, no pictures, no nothing.

This is a black powder replica, 44 caliber, imported by FIE (no idea how long ago, nor does the owner know - it was his grandfathers). The cylinder latch is not operating at all, stays down no matter what. I want to take it apart to see if I can see anything out of the ordinary.

The grips do not have a screw so I am assuming they are held in place by the frame. Grip frame looks to be a 2 piece. I want to take it apart but not sure where to start, I don't want something falling out and I don't know where/how it goes back in.

Here's some pictures, maybe someone can say it is a replica of a **** and then I can find a schematic of it to help me out. There are no markings other than the mfg (PR) and FIE on the bottom of the grip frame and "black powder only" stamped on the barrel.

Thanks for looking and any advise you can give.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Default Re: General Help Needed

I would loosen that single screw at the bottom of the grip frame to see if it secures the grips. If that enables removal of the grip panels, do so.

By cylinder latch, could it also be called the bolt or cylinder stop? If the revolver appears to be working with that one exception, consider soaking the whole thing in transmission oil overnight or a few days. It's likely just hardened lube. If not, a broken bolt or bolt spring.

Here are similar guns: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...MmgO6mObeq0ktM

I think it is an Italian copy of circa 1851-1861 army/navy arms.

ETA: The placement of the screws indicate standard Colt grip frame attachments.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Elk County)

I was an E-6, and have not much experience with flag officers, so I can't help much with Generals.

However by "cylinder latch" I believe you mean "bolt" or "cylinder stop," Ron.

That appears to be an 1851 Navy, and fortunately, the guts of it are vary similar to those of the 1873 Colt cartridge sixgun. I mention that only for reference, because Numrich shows a diagram for the 1851 Navy:

You're looking for the #25, Trigger and Bolt Spring, if I interpret your "cylinder latch" term correctly:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/181990A

Could also be that #5 Screw loosened and fell out. They have been known to do that on repros and originals alike. I'd recommend doing exploratory surgery to confirm. But usually it's one or the other tang on that tuning fork spring that snapped off; one forces the bolt / cylinder stop up into place, and the other does the trigger reset thing.

HTH, and if you need more help, PM me.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

You could pm also if you like.
    I just had one in the shop last weekend.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Centre County)

Bang, thanks for the comment. Different gun makers call it the bolt stop, cylinder stop, cylinder latch and other terms.

Noah, the picture is a big help, thyat looks like it almost exactly from what I can see. Once I get the grip removed, I'm probablly going to put it in the ultrasonic cleaner for a while, along with the cylinder (it's rreally crudy).

I just didn't want to take screws out without seeing how things went together. With your picture, I can now go to work and see what I can do.

Thank you both for the assistance, I knew someone on the forum could help increase my knowledge.

That spring is notorious for breaking. Has been since day 1. Wolff offers a wireform spring. I bought a half dozen and put them in my Colt BP and SAA replicas.

saawire.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

That spring is the deal. The flat springs are a constant problem.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Centre County)

Took it apart and as soon as I did I could see the spring had broken. So, I'll order from Wolff and in the mean time it's taking a good long bath in the ultrasonic, it was caked with built up crud. Thanks for the help, I might just be able to resurrect this one.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    That spring is notorious for breaking. Has been since day 1. Wolff offers a wireform spring. I bought a half dozen and put them in my Colt BP and SAA replicas.

saawire.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    That spring is the deal. The flat springs are a constant problem.

Agree completely; I've converted all of my Colt-style single actions to the Wolff wireform spring.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.