Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Carrying Long Guns in a Vehicle During Government Declarations

Hello.

I recently read the following thread: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=332320. Obviously, it was written before the 2020 drama. I wanted to check in with you folks to see if what was written then still applies now...

In light of the restrictions attempted to be imposed upon us in PA beginning in 2020 that affect(ed) the 2A, and any remnants of the "lifted" restrictions, as well as any future "events", I want to ask the following question:

in what way, if any, does an Emergency Declaration, State of Emergency, or Disaster Declaration by a government official affect one's ability to keep/transport long guns in a vehicle. Not just to the range and back but to carry around in your vehicle just because you choose to. From what I have read on the USCCA and NRA websites where they list a breakdown of PA gun laws, as well as the PA government website, it appears that these declarations have no impact on carrying an unloaded rifle/shotgun (long-gun) around in your vehicle with you. I have read that there is a rarely enforced component to these declarations that affects open-carry, where one cannot openly carry a firearm on public streets/property unless they have a LTCF and are carrying concealed, but that does not seem to apply to this post because I am only referring to long-guns (not "firearms") which have nothing to do with a LTCF and not talking about open-carry, just carrying it along with you in a vehicle.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as a LAGO, I should be good-to-go if I choose to carry any of my legally purchased long-guns in the cab of my truck as long as it is not loaded and the loaded detachable magazine is in it's own compartment. I live in Adams County and this scenario would only apply to Adams and York County, not Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Carrying Long Guns in a Vehicle During Government Declarations

Philly is the only city in PA that is large enough to require a LTCF to open carry. Leave Pittsburgh out of this. LOL

What the hell is a "LAGO"?

I'll let someone else comment since I'm not 100% certain I can give you the correct answer.
    And welcome to the forum.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Philly is the only city in PA that is large enough to require a LTCF to open carry. Leave Pittsburgh out of this. LOL

I'll let someone else comment since I'm not 100% certain I can give you the correct answer.
    Law abiding gun owner is my best guess.

And I think you're fine in the situation you described but I'm with EM and would wait for others to chime in.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Law Abiding Gun Owner

and welcome

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Law abiding gun owner is my best guess.

And I think you're fine in the situation you described but I'm with EM and would wait for others to chime in.
    I was too slow in posting that lol oh well LAGO................ Life Always Goes On

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 584_Mini View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong,
    You're wrong.

While LTCFs typically are not connected to long arms, during a state of emergency, a license is required to possess ANY device that goes bang on public streets or property. The definition of "firearm" is different for §6107 (Prohibited conduct during an emergency) than it is for most of the other statutes, where it is basically limited to handguns (or SBR/SBS)

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...1.007.000..HTM
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

If you're a Trump supporter you're a MAGALAGO
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    You're wrong.

While LTCFs typically are not connected to long arms, during a state of emergency, a license is required to possess ANY device that goes bang on public streets or property. The definition of "firearm" is different for §6107 (Prohibited conduct during an emergency) than it is for most of the other statutes, where it is basically limited to handguns (or SBR/SBS)

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...1.007.000..HTM
    You're wrong. The OP asked about transport and not open carry of long guns on the street.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by edmundfitz1975 View Post
    You're wrong. The OP asked about transport and not open carry of long guns on the street.
    Find me any PA law that references "transport" of a firearm, other than a reference to federal law. (Hint: there are none)

PA law calls it "Carry in a vehicle", and it applies whether the gun is on one's person, or not. During a state of emergency, this type of "carry" requires that one be licensed.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by edmundfitz1975 View Post
    Transporting is de facto carrying.

If there is a Declared State of Emergency - transporting/carrying, openly or concealed, of any type of gun, while on public domain requires a LTCF, except between locations exempted in 6106(b). When there is an SoE, the entire State of Pennsylvania is effectively under the same rules that Philly is under when there isn't a SoE.

If you leave your property - you would need a LTCF regardless as to whether you had it on your person or in a vehicle. ...except between otherwise exempted locations.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast