Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Carrying Long Guns in a Vehicle During Government Declarations

Thanks for all your replies and for welcoming me.

So based on what you are telling me, if there is a Declaration in place, such as a State of Emergency or Disaster Declaration, whether it is pandemic related, opioid, etc., carrying a long gun in a vehicle is not a legal option. And when no Declarations are in place, it is fine to carry/transport as I described in my original post? What is the best way to assess this, or determine what orders are in place at any given time that would tell me whether I can carry a rifle in my vehicle or not.. The waters seem muddy to me in the state due to the broad use of these decrees. On one hand, you have people saying, and publishing information that all restrictions have been lifted, while others may say there are remnants of "common sense" measures that will be carried over into the "post-pandemic" world? And then I assume that I would have to look beyond the state and apply the same logic to any current federal declarations?

(York County)

This is all I currently know to use to determine what's in place:

https://www.pema.pa.gov/Governor-Pro...s/default.aspx

Is there anything else I need to check or could this be a one-stop-shop?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 584_Mini View Post
    Thanks for all your replies and for welcoming me.

So based on what you are telling me, if there is a Declaration in place, such as a State of Emergency or Disaster Declaration, whether it is pandemic related, opioid, etc., carrying a long gun in a vehicle is not a legal option. And when no Declarations are in place, it is fine to carry/transport as I described in my original post? What is the best way to assess this, or determine what orders are in place at any given time that would tell me whether I can carry a rifle in my vehicle or not.. The waters seem muddy to me in the state due to the broad use of these decrees. On one hand, you have people saying, and publishing information that all restrictions have been lifted, while others may say there are remnants of "common sense" measures that will be carried over into the "post-pandemic" world? And then I assume that I would have to look beyond the state and apply the same logic to any current federal declarations?
    This is all I currently know to use to determine what's in place:

https://www.pema.pa.gov/Governor-Pro...s/default.aspx

Is there anything else I need to check or could this be a one-stop-shop?
    The page you've linked to should be good, in terms of statewide declarations, but there is the possibility of more localized restrictions, triggered by a "municipal governmental executive". It's unlikely that those would be of a mostly political nature with intent of perpetual extension.

For what it's worth, IMO, all governor declared SOEs are now gone, and things are back to their normal status.

The spring election results are finally certified, which means the approved Constitutional amendments are now in force, retroactive to election day. Those changes limit the governor's declarations to 21 days, and all prior orders are outside of that window, and have not received legislative approval to be extended.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 30th, 2021 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    The second page should be good, in terms of statewide declarations, but there is the possibility of more localized restrictions, triggered by a "municipal governmental executive". It's unlikely that those would be of a mostly political nature with intent of perpetual extension.

For what it's worth, IMO, all governor declared SOEs are now gone, and things are back to their normal status.

The spring election results are finally certified, which means the approved Constitutional amendments are now in force, retroactive to election day. Those changes limit the governor's declarations to 21 days, and all prior orders are outside of that window, and have not received legislative agreement to be extended.
    I hadn't heard anything on that heroin SOE, what might you have on it?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I hadn't heard anything on that heroin SOE, what might you have on it?
    Apply this to all declarations on the list:

1. Is it older than 21 days?

2. If no, it's still in effect (unless already explicitly lifted). If yes, has the legislature approved extension?

3. If no, IT'S OVER

(York County)

Ok, well that is good news!

I spent quite a bit of time researching all of this and saw that the 5/20/21 coronavirus disaster emergency proclamation was terminated by concurrent resolution of the general assembly, but saw no update specific to the 5/7/21 opioid crisis one. So if what you are saying is true about the new 21-day max duration, then I am assuming that the PDF for the 5/7/21 opioid crisis one was just never updated with the earlier expiration. I thought maybe there was a delay in the general assembly with termination of the 5/7/21 opioid crisis one.

When gnbrotz said "The second page should be good" what second page do you mean?

Anyone else on here have a different opinion on the blanket 21-day max (unless extended) rule?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Apply this to all declarations on the list:

1. Is it older than 21 days?

2. If no, it's still in effect (unless already explicitly lifted). If yes, has the legislature approved extension?

3. If no, IT'S OVER
    I would hope that you are correct but that is contrary to my understanding. My understanding is that the legislature has to take action to end it. They did take action and end the chirus SOE but I have not heard that they took action to end the heroin SOE. If I can remember, I'll call Maloney's office and ask about that.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

When gnbrotz said "The second page should be good" what second page do you mean?
    I've edited to clarify. That link should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I would hope that you are correct but that is contrary to my understanding. My understanding is that the legislature has to take action to end it. They did take action and end the chirus SOE but I have not heard that they took action to end the heroin SOE. If I can remember, I'll call Maloney's office and ask about that.
    That was prior to the constitutional amendment. It used to be 90 days unless canceled, and could be renewed indefinitely. There was a legal argument over whether the legislatures "cancelling" required the governor's signature, like a regular law. I don't think we have a clear and final resolution on that from the courts yet.

The amendment now limits any order to 21 days max. It cannot be extended without legislative agreement.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 30th, 2021 at 09:07 AM.

Legal Age Gay Orangutan?
    The chair is against the wall... John has a long mustache...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    Legal Age Gay Orangutan?
    You're a little late to the A.R.P.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast