Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Budget long range scope for .308

'Budget' and 'long range' sound like oxy-morons to me.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    'Budget' and 'long range' sound like oxy-morons to me.
    Depends on the definition of "budget" or "long range." Since op didn't specify a budget I used what I would consider a "budget" optic ($300-400 range). Truly tough, some people would consider that a high mark and budget would be around $100 or less.

The only range he mentioned was 50-300yds. I don't really consider that "long range" myself, but op might. The two scopes I mentioned would work probably out to 700-1000 actually, which I would consider "long range." Others here probably wouldn't start that until after 1000.

If you're long range doesn't go past 500yds, then in reality, you don't really need a $2k scope to get decent results. Guys were hitting further with way worse optics when you and I were kids. Competition scopes 40 years ago barely had the clarity of something like a $300 vortex does today.

As was said earlier, the rifle makes a difference too. If you can see a 3" dot at 750 but your shooting a rifle that can only make 1.5 moa, that's not really that big of a help other than seeing your hits. Probably not worth the extra $1000 or so dollars to get that extra clarity.

I don't own any high end optics myself, because I don't shoot for groups at long range. They're primarily for plinking at moderate ranges or hunting out to 200 or so. I can't see investing more than 3-500 for something to do that. Hell, a lot of my plinkers wear Walmart special scopes because they will never see ranges past 100yds and the cheap stuff works fine for that.

$300-$400 would be my price range...

Its going to end up topping an 18” lr308 upper and will get swapped over to a 6.5cr upper for long range (>600yd) once i build one. 300yd is probably average for the 308 upper but that could change. So i need something versatile. I could push the current 4-12 out to 300 if i need to, but at 100yd im using full power so more would be better since i use it to spot my hits

I need a spotting scope or good magnified monocular range finder for that last part.

This 18” upper is capable of .5MOA or better from a bench (@25yd i put 3 under a dime, 100yd 3 under a quarter) using factory bulk ammo. Nosler Match ammo is even better and im sure i could handload tighter groups yet too

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    $300-$400 would be my price range...

Its going to end up topping an 18* lr308 upper and will get swapped over to a 6.5cr upper for long range (>600yd) once i build one. 300yd is probably average for the 308 upper but that could change. So i need something versatile. I could push the current 4-12 out to 300 if i need to, but at 100yd im using full power so more would be better since i use it to spot my hits

I need a spotting scope or good magnified monocular range finder for that last part.

This 18* upper is capable of .5MOA or better from a bench (@25yd i put 3 under a dime, 100yd 3 under a quarter) using factory bulk ammo. Nosler Match ammo is even better and im sure i could handload tighter groups yet too
    If you're getting .5 moa or better out of that upper and want to push past 600, you might be better off skipping the 6.5 upper and invest that money into the scope/mount. You'll be hard pressed to do better than that with a different upper and 308 vs. 6.5 is a push for the most part out to 1k and maybe a little beyond. Especially if you're getting that tight of groups. Remember, it's not just about speed getting out to longer ranges, it's wind calls and consistent accuracy. Heavier bullets will buck the wind better and make for more consistent wind calls.

The advantage of 6.5 is staying hypersonic longer (you won't do that until after 1000 with either). Lighter recoil (I doubt that's a factor in an AR 10 gun), and better ballistic coefficient (could be a factor in light wind, but I see it as a push since you can run heavier bullets in the 308).

I'm not a long range guy really, but I have shot to 1000 on steel a couple times and to 600 pretty regularly at my old range. Sometimes the old adage of "don't fix what isn't broken" should be considered. A .5 moa gun is plenty good to get out to 1000 or better, it's more on the shooter at that point.

(Lycoming County)

Wanted to add, that's all just my opinion of course. I'm sure there's plenty on here that will disagree with anything I've said. Another old adage: Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one and most of them stink."

All good RL ive never shot past 200 before, and havent pushed this rifle past 100yd. but i want to get into long range steel. Theres a lot more opportunity to do it when i go back out to Nebraska, may as well gear up and learn now (where im looking to move, theres a 1200yd and 2000yd range within 45 min drive). Most times im averaging 1.5” @ 100yd but thats more my ability and rushing the shots/anticipating recoil than it is the rifle. And all these shots were off of a grip pod with m80 ball ammo. So with a better bipod and match grade or hand loaded ammo i should be able to consistently do smaller groups.

I built this rifle for stand hunting out there, and as a DMR to learn with. Im too old, broken, and fat to be running around with an AR15 to do as much 3 gun and tactical stuff as id like to lol

Viper scope may have won out. Got my paper flyer from Midway in the mail today. They have a 5-25x50 Viper for $499 listed

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    If you're always on max zoom, you could try ae fixed 16x or 20x from SWFA. They always get rave reviews and are pretty cheap compared to a variable option. You get better field of view for the magnification too.
    I have a SWFA 20x32 fixed power scope.
    $299, made in Japan
    It does what I need it to do, on a budget.
    I think they are in stock.
    I have many of their scopes.
    They are not the best money can buy, but IMO at their price points they are a very good value.
    Plus, I haven't gotten one yet, that was made in China, if that matters to you (it does to me). All Phillipines or Japan.

ADDED: The above scope had some fogging issues, so SWFA swapped it out for a 10x42 (which is what I wanted originally, but was BO);
    new.scope works well.
    Last edited by chauncey; September 6th, 2021 at 05:30 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I had the same dilemma when looking for a scope for my newly acquired .308. After some searching I ran across a review on this scope https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ge...dot-ffp-scope/
    This is a scope with the Mil dot reticle in the first plane. I read several tests and purchased it I am very satisfied with the build quality. I am still working on getting it setup, but look forward to getting tight groups.
    They have 3 versions 2 of which are tied to .308 & .223 ballistics. Give it consideration.
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/primary...8-reticle.html

Had my hands on a vortex diamondback tactical today at Shakeys. 5-25x55. $500+tax. I’ll buy one online most likely, should be able to get it for closer to $400 if i wait for a good deal

Think im sold. That sucker was crisp and full of features

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast