Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default CCW - Alaska Vacation?

My wife has us scheduled for a trip to Alaska this August. Flying from PHL to Anchorage, a stay over night, then various bus and train trips around the state. At some point also including sightseeing in a bush plane and a helicopter ride to the top of some glacier for some hiking around, etc. Also kayaking to look at the glaciers falling into the sea or something like that. Then more bus and train rides back to Anchorage and a flight home.

I'm wondering about ccw for the trip. Anyone with personal experience? I know Alaska is constitutional carry and probably many people carry, but I suspect not so much with the tourists in our tours. Also I don't know if the tour company would have any prohibitions on carrying.

The big deal breaker would be if I run into any areas where ccw is not permitted and I have to miss out on that leg of the vacation. That would result in a distinctly chilly response from said wife to say the least. On the other hand, wandering around in somewhat remote areas known to be populated by large bears seems to suggest a large bore pistol might be prudent. Thoughts?

(Berks County)

Default Re: CCW - Alaska Vacation?

Isn't Denali a National Park?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Isn't Denali a National Park?
    Your point being?

Carry in National Parks is legal (open and concealed), so long as it's done in accordance with state carry laws. "Federal facilities" ("a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.") are prohibited. Any structure meeting this definition should be clearly identified with signage.

I'd imagine most of the desirable sights of Denali are outdoors, not indoors.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Your point being?

Carry in National Parks is legal (open and concealed), so long as it's done in accordance with state carry laws. "Federal facilities" ("a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.") are prohibited. Any structure meeting this definition should be clearly identified with signage.

I'd imagine most of the desirable sights of Denali are outdoors, not indoors.
    Denali is unique in that you are not allowed to roam around freely. I don't know what goes on on the train ride but if you come in and take the bus, you get the bus from their building at the entrance to the park and get off at a vista
    a couple of hours back in then return to the entrance. What are the carry laws on the bus and at that vista building?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Denali is unique in that you are not allowed to roam around freely. I don't know what goes on on the train ride but if you come in and take the bus, you get the bus from their building at the entrance to the park and get off at a vista
    a couple of hours back in then return to the entrance. What are the carry laws on the bus and at that vista building?
    Good questions. Alaska Railroad seems to provide all of the rail service, and I'm not seeing any list of rules or policies. One would hope that information would be in the "agree to this" fine print somewhere before a purchase were processed.

Inside the vista building may well be a problem. Given the climate, hanging around outside for a few hours may not be a desirable alternative.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Denali is unique in that you are not allowed to roam around freely. I don't know what goes on on the train ride but if you come in and take the bus, you get the bus from their building at the entrance to the park and get off at a vista a couple of hours back in then return to the entrance. What are the carry laws on the bus and at that vista building?
    Well, that totally is not true.

You can generally roam around freely all you want to. What you're not allowed to do is drive your own motor vehicle into the park more than about 12 miles or so, except on the four or so days in the fall where they allow lottery winners to do so. But you are certainly free to walk, run, hike or ride a bike into and around the park.

As for the buildings, federal laws apply in the federal park. So, no guns in the buildings.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Good questions. Alaska Railroad seems to provide all of the rail service, and I'm not seeing any list of rules or policies.
    This information is from the docuseries "Railroad Alaska" from about 10 years ago so take it for what it's worth knowing the source....

But in that series The Alaska Railroad required all firearms to be checked with the conductor for the duration of the train ride. But there were no outright bans. (There was a whole episode about it.)

This was on the passenger train on the remote line through Talkeetna where it picked up off gridders to take them into town.

(Allegheny County)

I've been on that railroad a few times. There was no security. Keep your shit concealed and you shouldn't have an issue.

One possible exception is the stop at the airport. I'd be more careful about on or offloading there.

FWIW, Amtrak was the same way when I road it from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.