Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Coyote hunting in NWPA

So, first off, I am a VERY new hunter in general. I have been in the woods 5 times total, 4 for deer and once for small game.
    Haven't seen anything to shoot at. One time we saw a doe but it was too early and too dark to shoot.
    But as deer season is way too short, and I have always wanted to be a hunter/outdoorsman - grew up in the suburbs in apartments with no father or father figure to take me out and teach me anything, I think coyote affords an awesome opportunity
    I have a AR in .223/5.56 and a Savage in 7MM 08.
    As far as I can tell, with the right ammo, both will work for that.
    Looks like not much else is REQUIRED, just really a caller and possibly some type of decoy. Obviously some type of night set up if I choose to hunt at night

But that leads me to my actual problems.

First, I have no private land available so I would be using game lands. Not a big deal as there are plenty not far from me. I live in Erie, but pretty much anywhere within 30 minutes in any direction has . But I assume it will be much more difficult on public land.
    The other, is, as I said, I have almost no hunting experience in general. From what I gather, coyotes are rather elusive critters. I am up for the challenge, and I am fairly intelligent so I can learn quickly.

Anyone has any good resources to suggest that I check out? Reading materials, websites, specific to my part of the state?

I have started researching the laws, and will dig furhter

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Coyote hunting in NWPA

FWIW an old thread from here with good info.
    https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...625#post189625
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    So, first off, I am a VERY new hunter in general. I have been in the woods 5 times total, 4 for deer and once for small game.
    Haven't seen anything to shoot at. One time we saw a doe but it was too early and too dark to shoot.
    But as deer season is way too short, and I have always wanted to be a hunter/outdoorsman - grew up in the suburbs in apartments with no father or father figure to take me out and teach me anything, I think coyote affords an awesome opportunity
    try to get a crossbow. with the technology today you will be surprised how good they are. it will give you an additional 10+ weeks worth of Deer hunting opportunities in our state alone.

Quote Originally Posted by fatguyinalittlecoat View Post
    try to get a crossbow. with the technology today you will be surprised how good they are. it will give you an additional 10+ weeks worth of Deer hunting opportunities in our state alone.
    Interesting. I haven't looked into crossbows a whole lot. I have had some interest in archery anyways, and have been wanting a crossbow. But I thought there were less weeks for crossbows then a regular bow? Am I wrong?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    Interesting. I haven't looked into crossbows a whole lot. I have had some interest in archery anyways, and have been wanting a crossbow. But I thought there were less weeks for crossbows then a regular bow? Am I wrong?
    As far as I know, in PA, crossbows are used the same as vertical bows throughout the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    As far as I know, in PA, crossbows are used the same as vertical bows throughout the entire season.
    Nice, I'll look into it. I have been wanting a crossbow anyway. Longer hunting season would definitely help justify it to the wife

(Westmoreland County)

Bow season (cross or vertical) starts in early October and runs 6 weeks. Justification enough to start archery hunting. I rarely have a tag left for rifle season. Also, muzzleloader starts the day after Christmas and runs 3 weeks. Fun as well, BUT you can use your archery equipment in that season as well.

(Westmoreland County)

As for coyote, go talk to some farmers. If they have them around they will know and will probably let you hunt them. Then after you prove you know how to close gates, don't shoot holes in their barn or livestock, you will probably get permission to hunt deer there too!

(Indiana County)

Bear archery makes a really good compound bow(cruzer 2) that's less than 400 dollars and comes with everything you need except the arrows. They are not as easy to use as a crossbow. But, if you aren't getting into hunting to simply find the easiest way to kill a deer you might find that use a vertical bow is much more satisfying.

If just getting out to hunt more often is your goal, try to find some farmer who will allow you to hunt groundhogs(woodchuck). Stress to them that you will be very careful of the direction you shoot and some of them will welcome you.
    Good luck.

(Carbon County)

I don't hunt coyotes, but when I do see tracks in large wooded tracts on Public Land, it is usually on pipelines or powerlines. I am starting to see a lot more bobcat tracks than I use to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast