Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: Carrying through metal detector

Have been there, and in the same scenario. I let it in the car personally. Its out of sight and my car doesn't scream "check this one for a gun or valuables" so not too worried about theft. Not worth the fuss after a 2+ hour ride with wife and kid either.

They actually made us take pepper spray to the car one time, one of those little teal colored lady ones. Bit excessive....

(Wayne County)

How they find the pepper spray? Through the bag search?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    AFAIK, they just tell you you can't come in.
    This right here, I wouldn't be afraid to give it a shot.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    How they find the pepper spray? Through the bag search?
    Literally yes, practically no...hanging on the side/super obvious. My wife carries it though, and we didnt give it a thought.

When we were down at Sesame last week they did not do a thorough bag check (anything but, actually)....other times, it varies.

(Wayne County)

You notice the metal detectors ringing for everyone, but they just say go

if it is "ringing for everyone" it is not set properly, they aren't using it properly or they aren't trained to direct people through it properly.
    it could be set on "german"
    it could be improperly located adjacent to metal, above metal, with metallic objects like bags being placed too close to it as people go through
    they arent directing people to properly empty all their pockets, questioning about cellphones when they dont notice one sat down (especially among the ladies who keep it in their spandex ass pocket or in their chest "pockets")

if it rings constantly, they will get lax especially during busy hours. it'd be easy to get through.
    security theatre, just like the TSA but without the molestation.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Bucks County)

I walked through the hand wand line at Pennhurst Asylum one Halloween season a few years ago. Did not know you couldn*t carry there. Wife spotted a sign AFTER we got off their commuter bus from parking area. It was cold but not really cold yet, so I took off my coat, unholstered the five shot 38, and held it in my fist while holding my coat up with the same hand. The wanding began at the elbows and went toward the body.
    Cops have zero clue about security, or were they just drawing O/T and didn*t give a shit? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    so I took off my coat, unholstered the five shot 38, and held it in my fist while holding my coat up with the same hand. The wanding began at the elbows and went toward the body.

Cops have zero clue about security, or were they just drawing O/T and didn*t give a shit? I dunno.
    That's a smart trick, definitely putting that one in my memory bank.

And I've had cops frisk me, and not even go down to the ankles, or check my inner thigh*. Got to get me a garter holster or something LOL.

*Never charged with anything, apparently I just look "the type."
    Last edited by ShadeRabbit; June 17th, 2021 at 08:03 PM.

(Montgomery County)

There's a ton of ways you could get through "security"*. Honestly the possibilities are endless. Here's one that hasn't been mentioned: if it does set something off say it's an insulin pump. Good chance they just say ok.

And if really caught just fess up and all you'd have to do is play dumb and say oh I have my LTCF I didn't know you couldn't here. Be nice and very doubtful anything will happen.

My wife ran the Philadelphia marathon a couple years ago. Who would have thought the starting area would be 'secured'. Well got up to the front and wasn't about to say oops can't come support you and see you off, so I just went for it. G26 IWB and G17 spare mag in pocket. Sailed right through the wanding. Security theater.

*Not advocating trespassing and potentially breaking the law. Just saying what you could do if faced with a surprise situation and unclear signage/policies. Also don't try this at an actual secured, off limits by law location.

(Montgomery County)

But as to the question: depends on the situation. Who are you with, how disruptive is it going to be to the plans, what's the risk profile for the activity, etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast