Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default More Ballot Referendums in the Future?

Article in today's paper suggests that PA's legislature is considering taking all matters that they know won't get past wolf and putting them on the ballot as constitutional changes. One of them regarding voter ID. What I still can't figure out is, why are the Act 77 amendments still in place since they were illegal changes to our constitution? I know that the court tossed the challenge because the election was already over and it didn't want to be responsible for overturning an election but why aren't the changes deemed null and void now?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wayne County)

Default Re: More Ballot Referendums in the Future?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Article in today's paper suggests that PA's legislature is considering taking all matters that they know won't get past wolf and putting them on the ballot as constitutional changes. One of them regarding voter ID. What I still can't figure out is, why are the Act 77 amendments still in place since they were illegal changes to our constitution? I know that the court tossed the challenge because the election was already over and it didn't want to be responsible for overturning an election but why aren't the changes deemed null and void now?
    Ask your elected official if that*s the case now. They love blowing smoke up our asses like school property tax relief.

(Montgomery County)

Regardless of the reason, this trend scares me a bit. Tides always turn. And It turns our government into a popular democracy, instead of a constitutional republic (though admittedly, it's not like we're a true republic anymore these days). Sheeple can be swayed quite easily...

I'd rather elect a constitutional-minded governor who wants to protect liberties. But that's obviously a tall order...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Regardless of the reason, this trend scares me a bit. Tides always turn. And It turns our government into a popular democracy, instead of a constitutional republic (though admittedly, it's not like we're a true republic anymore these days). Sheeple can be swayed quite easily...

I'd rather elect a constitutional-minded governor who wants to protect liberties. But that's obviously a tall order...
    It should.

This was the same tactic used is damn near every major blue state in the last 50 years.

And it's how they went so blue so quickly. Karen's won't hesitate to send an email, write a letter to bitch, or go vote to spite you.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

I hear ya! It's a double edged sword. Typically, it's the Dems who do stuff like that then cry when it gets used against them. i e the process that permitted Gorsuch to get the job on SCOTUS and they're the ones who wrote the book.

(Fulton County)

I was always against the ballot referendums; it's only a matter of time before a so called "Assault Weapons" ban is on a ballot referendum in Pennsylvania; and the ignorant masses from Pittsburgh, Philly, along with the Fudds will vote in favor of it.

(Northampton County)

Sadly you may be right about this happening.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    I was always against the ballot referendums; it's only a matter of time before a so called "Assault Weapons" ban is on a ballot referendum in Pennsylvania; and the ignorant masses from Pittsburgh, Philly, along with the Fudds will vote in favor of it.
    I am a firm believer in the *One man, One vote* philosophy. When you disenfranchise part of a population as *ignorant masses*, and basically say that they are not competent enough to make decisions for themselves, it stinks of elitism. It is for the same reason I am against the Filibuster. The people voted, and decided who should be in control. This isn*t a Rep vs Dems issue for me. This is a people vs Government thing. When the Republicans had control, they should be able to make laws cause that*s what the PEOPLE voted for.

Now I do believe that if an assault weapons ban was proposed by referendum, it would probably pass and that would suck.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    I am a firm believer in the *One man, One vote* philosophy. When you disenfranchise part of a population as *ignorant masses*, and basically say that they are not competent enough to make decisions for themselves, it stinks of elitism. It is for the same reason I am against the Filibuster. The people voted, and decided who should be in control. This isn*t a Rep vs Dems issue for me. This is a people vs Government thing. When the Republicans had control, they should be able to make laws cause that*s what the PEOPLE voted for.

Now I do believe that if an assault weapons ban was proposed by referendum, it would probably pass and that would suck.
    Direct democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Tyranny of the majority is still tyranny. The point is to force those with power to build broad coalitions. If that can't be done, it's probably for a good reason. Gridlock is better than tyranny.

Why would you support removing the safeguards that protect the minority?
    I am not a lawyer.

(Berks County)

There's already a proposal in the pipeline to modify the election rules but that is the way they are supposed to be changed, not by something like Act 77, which should be null and void due to its unconstitutionality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast