Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Opinions on Olight?

I went to buy spare cr123 batteries yesterday and have to admit that i was hit with sticker shock. 6+$ each at Home Depot.

I use 1 in my crimson trace weapon light. I have two of these. The batteries are rated for like 3 hours or something like that.

If i use the light even remotely often, that adds up quickly.

I see Olight has rechargeable weapon lights.

In particular, i was looking at:
    Pl Mini 2 Valkyrie
    https://www.olightstore.com/olight-p...2-black-1.html

And

Pl pro Valkyrie
    https://www.olightstore.com/pl-pro-valkyrie.html

I'm leaning toward the mini because it would fit on my subcompact without sticking out, but honestly, that gun gets carried and i have a full size in my drawer with a light. The pl pro is only fractionally larger than the crimson trace so it is kind of a non issue either way. Cost isn't really a factor since both are relatively cheap compared to the mainstream alternatives.

Thoughts or opinions? Customer service any good?

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Opinions on Olight?

Hodgie hasn't been posting for a while, but he seems to comment favorably on Olight products.
    They run some amazing deals a few times a year.

Those 123 batteries... Walmart has Surefire 2 packs in sporting goods for around $4.

I'll go check the price to confirm...

Edit: $4.97 for 2 pack
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I just got my first one from the classifieds (PL2 mini). Immediately proceeded to blind myself with it on unboxing.

Battery life is eh...but the magnetic charging is nice. And works quite well mounted to my P80v2. Currently mounted on my AR9 but works better on an actual pistol. The slide adjustment is really nice. And the momentary on/off is really good too.

Full charge has so far lasted me a week sitting in the safe with occasional use of the momentary switching. Full on though and it doea drain quickly. Fast recharging though, ~20-30 min.

Lack of strobe is a minor annoyance.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I went to buy spare cr123 batteries yesterday and have to admit that i was hit with sticker shock. 6+$ each at Home Depot.

I use 1 in my crimson trace weapon light. I have two of these. The batteries are rated for like 3 hours or something like that.

If i use the light even remotely often, that adds up quickly.

I see Olight has rechargeable weapon lights.

In particular, i was looking at:
    Pl Mini 2 Valkyrie
    https://www.olightstore.com/olight-p...2-black-1.html

And

Pl pro Valkyrie
    https://www.olightstore.com/pl-pro-valkyrie.html

I'm leaning toward the mini because it would fit on my subcompact without sticking out, but honestly, that gun gets carried and i have a full size in my drawer with a light. The pl pro is only fractionally larger than the crimson trace so it is kind of a non issue either way. Cost isn't really a factor since both are relatively cheap compared to the mainstream alternatives.

Thoughts or opinions? Customer service any good?

-Zach
    I run the PL pro valkyrie on my bedside piece it holds a hell of a charge unless you're using it constantly then the high output will only last a short time then you default to low. The strobe is a nice feature, I wouldn't take the thing into battle per say but for a general light it works fine. you will always have the one guy who posts the one time an olight battery went rogue and blew up. ( It wasn't that bad) but if you're going to say knock it around a lot I'd go with something a little more proven for that sort of thing.

(Montgomery County)

The only negative I've heard is from some reputable YouTube channels saying Olight was trying to get them to shill and they didn't believe in the product (due to quality?) and couldn't support it. Small Arms Solutions comes to mind and he is very reputable in his endorsements of products. So that gives me pause.

Personal experience though - I have a non rechargable PL2 Valkyrie and really like it. Very bright, good quick detach and I like the ambi controls. But I have not put it through any sort of hard use.

(Wyoming County)

Can't help with O'light, sorry

from Amazon- 24 pack of Surefire 123's for $40

link: https://smile.amazon.com/Surefire-SF...s%2C768&sr=8-7
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Hodgie hasn't been posting for a while, but he seems to comment favorably on Olight products.
    They run some amazing deals a few times a year.

Those 123 batteries... Walmart has Surefire 2 packs in sporting goods for around $4.

I'll go check the price to confirm...

Edit: $4.97 for 2 pack
    I added them to my Walmart wishlist. They are in stock at my local store. Awesome! That kind of helps balance things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    I just got my first one from the classifieds (PL2 mini). Immediately proceeded to blind myself with it on unboxing.

Battery life is eh...but the magnetic charging is nice. And works quite well mounted to my P80v2. Currently mounted on my AR9 but works better on an actual pistol. The slide adjustment is really nice. And the momentary on/off is really good too.

Full charge has so far lasted me a week sitting in the safe with occasional use of the momentary switching. Full on though and it doea drain quickly. Fast recharging though, ~20-30 min.

Lack of strobe is a minor annoyance.
    Why does the lack of strobe bother you? And battery life is somewhat irrelevant if I can charge it. Although i guess you can't charge it on the go, but you can change batteries in the go.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    I run the PL pro valkyrie on my bedside piece it holds a hell of a charge unless you're using it constantly then the high output will only last a short time then you default to low. The strobe is a nice feature, I wouldn't take the thing into battle per say but for a general light it works fine. you will always have the one guy who posts the one time an olight battery went rogue and blew up. ( It wasn't that bad) but if you're going to say knock it around a lot I'd go with something a little more proven for that sort of thing.
    I guess this plays into the next comment about longevity. They aren't exactly cheap. Not exactly expensive. Just not sure what to expect if i go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    The only negative I've heard is from some reputable YouTube channels saying Olight was trying to get them to shill and they didn't believe in the product (due to quality?) and couldn't support it. Small Arms Solutions comes to mind and he is very reputable in his endorsements of products. So that gives me pause.

Personal experience though - I have a non rechargable PL2 Valkyrie and really like it. Very bright, good quick detach and I like the ambi controls. But I have not put it through any sort of hard use.
    My bed stand gun doesn't see hard use or even holstering. That said, i want it to work all of the time. I don't want to have to worry about it not working from sitting idle.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Can't help with O'light, sorry

from Amazon- 24 pack of Surefire 123's for $40

link: https://smile.amazon.com/Surefire-SF...s%2C768&sr=8-7
    Thanks.

-Zach

Lack of strobe is just be being bitchy lol. Kind of an “i dont need it but better to have and not need blah blah blah” thing.

I do like the layout of the controls when mounted to my P80. With a combat/thumbs forward grip they are intuitive. Recharging on the go could be done in theory with my small usb power bank. And the light does work while charging. For a basic light with a good warranty (that is transferrable), id buy one again. Battle ready? In a pinch...

My next one will be a streamlight laser combo though for severe duty stuff (the AR9)

As far as brightness goes, i was able to dismount the other night and test it after dark...it will light up houses on the left side of the street while im driving and looking for house numbers

(Westmoreland County)

You can buy packs of Cr123a batteries online fairly cheap. I saw some for sale at a store, and they were very expensive (might have been a Home Depot).

As far as Olight, I have a key chain, PL mini, Valkyrie, and another small light. They are decent. The keychain one is very handy. Anodizing is very cheap on them--started wearing off on the keychain almost immediately. The lights look sort of cheap, as well as their packaging. The clamp for the pistol lights looks cheap. They are handy though. They're bright. PL mini is adjustable. Some people online claim they blow up (I think that's just people taking one example and using it to justify trash talk). I'd say they would be good for a home defense gun. I don't know how well they'd hold up if dropped on concrete, and I don't know how good their customer service is. For about the same price, you can buy a Streamlight (a Pennsylvania business), and you will have a higher quality light. The Olights do have a nice charging method and they are bright.

(Bucks County)

I got a Valkyrie on sale last year so I took the plunge...it isn't bad, but it gets hot fast, a lot faster and warmer than my Streamlights.

It is currently not mounted on anything until I figure out which gun I want it to go on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast