Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ugh…. Rust on new uppers.

I bought 2 upper receiver groups from BCM awhile ago. A 16” middy, and an 11.5” carbine. I wiped the outsides down when they arrived (they come soaked in G96). Wrapped them in their bubble wrap, and stowed them in a big plastic storage tote where I keep spare parts/build parts. Probably not the smartest idea, but it wasn’t supposed to be long term.

Anyways, I’m assembling the lowers for them this weekend. I just pulled them out And noticed a light coating on rust on the roll pins, dust cover, and gas block screws. The barrels look fine, as well as the gas blocks themselves (still a light coat of oil on them).

Is this going to be of any harm? I’m considering pulling the handguards and replacing the gas block screws. I doubt that would be fun, but I hate seeing rust on brand new guns. These upper groups were $800 a piece. Another thing, I did put a good drop of ALG go-juice oil on each gas block screw. If I choose not to replace them, is this oil going to creep down the threads and compromise the threadlocker they use at the factory?

Thanks yall. I feel like an idiot, one of those things where you should have known better.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ugh…. Rust on new uppers.

First - NEVER wrap gun parts in ANYTHING plastic if you are going to store then for over a day. Plastic will hold in any and all moisture. If your shipping something that a different matter.

Second - if storing in a big plastic tub/tote same thing the moisture will not dissipate. If you have no choice, put a few big dessicant packs in the tote and then seal it up, the dessicant will soak up any moisture.

Third - oil should not affect the threadlocker. What you can do is remove the screws - one at a time - clean them with a wire wheel on a dremel (or similiar) then drop of oil and reinstall. You should be fine. Or, remove and clean and a drop of Loc-Tite and then reinstall then let the Loc-Tite do its thing overnight and then put oil on the screw heads. Cleaning the dust cover, etc. with 0000 steel wool with oil on it will clean them up and protect them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Pretty much what he said. Don*t overthink it so much. None of that would hurt a thing. Like was said, remove each screw/pin one at a time & clean. But then...once you wire more finish off, they will rust again. You could just buy new screws/pins & dust cover, etc. OR.... just leave them. Wipe the rust & oil. Eventually Patina will form.

Important thing like was said...NO PLASTIC! Cover with material. Cotton/synthetic/nylon, etc. also good, if they sit for times, pick up or make some desiccant bags.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

I have a couple receivers that I coated with cosmoline and wrapped in cloth and plastic.

(Franklin County)

We've all made mistakes. I have a recent one also. I keep a cheap safe at my parents home with a set of "backup" firearms. A shotgun, a Mosin, a Star BM 9mm, a Norinko SKS. Also a PSA 16" AR and a 10/22, both unfired. I rarely check them. Last week I opened the safe up, and crap. They must have gotten water in the basement at some point. There were a few light rust spots on the SKS, and some serious rust on the Mosins butt plate where it was resting on the bottom of the safe. I think I was spared most of the damage due to wiping everything down with light oil before storing, and a rechargeable desiccant brick. The 10/22 was still in the factory Ruger plastic bag and it was in perfect shape.

No structural damage! Couple drops of Kroil on the rusty bits and a quick scrub with a toothbrush and a few pipe cleaners will do the trick.

There are plastic bags meant for long term metal storage. They usually have a pink or blue VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitor) coating on the inside.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!