Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Question Gifting a pistol

I'm not sure where to post this, but if I give my grandson a pistol, do I have to do it through a FFL dealer. Does he have to get it registered to him. Joe

Default Re: Gifting a pistol

Parent to child - Grandparent OK , no dealer tansfer/PICS/RoS required.

And for the 10millionth time , there is no official registration in PA , in fact it is against PA law.

So the PA State Police call it a ''Record of Sale database''.
    Last edited by abner13; June 11th, 2021 at 09:37 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Parent to child - OK. Grandparent , no. Dealer tansfer/PICS/RoS required.

And for the 10millionth time , there is no official registration in PA , in fact it is against PA law.

Sorry Abner, you are incorrect. Gifting between grandchildren and grandparents does not require an FFL transfer.

§ 6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.

(a) Time and manner of delivery.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), no seller shall deliver a firearm to the purchaser or transferee thereof until 48 hours shall have elapsed from the time of the application for the purchase thereof, and, when delivered, the firearm shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded.

(2) Thirty days after publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin that the Instantaneous Criminal History Records Check System has been established in accordance with the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Public Law 103-159, 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.), no seller shall deliver a firearm to the purchaser thereof until the provisions of this section have been satisfied, and, when delivered, the firearm shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded.

(b) Duty of seller.--No licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer shall sell or deliver any firearm to another person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector, until the conditions of subsection (a) have been satisfied and until he has:

(1) For purposes of a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), obtained a completed application/record of sale from the potential buyer or transferee to be filled out in triplicate, the original copy to be sent to the Pennsylvania State Police, postmarked via first class mail, within 14 days of the sale, one copy to be retained by the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer for a period of 20 years and one copy to be provided to the purchaser or transferee. The form of this application/record of sale shall be no more than one page in length and shall be promulgated by the Pennsylvania State Police and provided by the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer. The application/record of sale shall include the name, address, birthdate, gender, race, physical description and Social Security number of the purchaser or transferee, the date of the application and the caliber, length of barrel, make, model and manufacturer's number of the firearm to be purchased or transferred. The application/record of sale shall also contain the following question:

Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s), as defined under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6102 (relating to definitions), listed on this application/record of sale? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person, unless you are legitimately acquiring the firearm as a gift for any of the following individuals who are legally eligible to own a firearm:

(1) spouse;

(2) parent;

(3) child;

(4) grandparent; or

(5) grandchild.

Further down in 6111:

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Parent to child - OK. Grandparent , no. Dealer tansfer/PICS/RoS required.

Please delete the incorrect info in your post so that people don't go saying "I read it on the internet".

Grandparent to grandchild is fine. Grandchild to grandparent OK too.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

WOW, that was a highly technical read, but I'm not sure what I read. In my case is that a yes or no ?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    WOW, that was a highly technical read, but I'm not sure what I read. In my case is that a yes or no ?
    Yes, you can hand it to your grandchild. That's it. Done. No FFL transfer is required.

Parent to child - OK
    Child to parent - OK
    Grandparent to grandchild - OK
    Grandchild to grandparent - OK
    Sibling to sibling - NOT OK - MUST transfer via FFL
    Aunts/uncles/cousins - NOT OK - MUST transfer via FFL
    Dog to cat - NOT OK - Never transfer a firearm to a cat

Corrected. Thought the line stopped at 1 generation.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

As much as I am a supporter of people legally transferring guns without paperwork (because it's none of the government's business), there is one thing to consider.

If said grandchild is ever carrying that handgun and is pulled over, or otherwise detained and the handgun is "run" by the police, it will come back as being owned by whoever last purchased it.
    Chances are good that it will be confiscated until it can be sorted out.

It's not the way it should work, but that's the reality.
    If that's not a concern, great. If it IS, then you can simply go to an FFL and do the transfer.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Sorry, it means yes, it's fine to gift or give a firearm to your grandchild.

(Allegheny County)

And I believe Grandfather and or grandmother & grandchild must both live in Pa...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast