Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Why I Need an AR-15 (one of the best Pro 2A articles I have ever read)

Excerpt:

Our federal government has been trying to undo this remarkable fact for at least the last 100 years. The first serious blow came in 1934, justified by the rise of organized crime at the time. As I outlined in a*recent piece*on plea bargains, organized crime was a midway point in the cascade of unintended consequences from Prohibition. The government thought the best way to keep machine guns, short rifles, and silencers out of the hands of the mafia would be to make a national registry and require anyone buying one of these items to pay a $200 tax.

It may come as a shock that organized crime largely ignored the new registration requirements. And neither were they punctilious in the matter of paying taxes. For law-abiding citizens in 1934, however, when the average annual income was $1,600, the National Firearms Act had the practical effect of restricting ownership of certain weapons to the wealthy and, of course, to the government.

When viewed from the standpoint of limiting crime, the National Firearms Act is patently ludicrous: Requiring criminals to register and pay taxes on the weapons with which they are about to commit murder, or else forcing them to acquire these weapons illegally is crazy. When viewed from the standpoint of controlling people, however, the NFA makes perfect sense.

Every action taken by the federal government has one purpose in mind: To protect the government from its citizens by transferring power from those citizens to the government. It is a striking and horrifying fact that, in this eternal quest, criminals and the government are in perfect alignment.*Criminal acts of a certain magnitude are necessary in order to make emergency government measures plausible.*

Criminals Are Exempt

The government never lets a crisis go to waste*just try replacing the word *crisis* with *crime* to get an accurate picture of the history of gun control. In a twisted*quid pro quo, the government has protected professional criminals from the laws it passes in answer to their crimes.

If you have any doubt on this score, a 1968 Supreme Court ruling confirmed that felons are exempt from registration under the National Firearms Act. And this is not a joke: Citing the Fifth Amendment*s protection against self-incrimination, the court ruled in*Haynes v. United States*that only noncriminals were required to register NFA weapons and pay the tax.

The government*s legal gymnastics and lies concerning firearms laws are staggering. In 1939, the government argued in court that short-barreled shotguns could be regulated because such guns are*not*military weapons, and only military weapons are protected by the Second Amendment. The NFA, they explained, was purely a revenue measure conducted by the Department of the Treasury. (The very popular *it*s just a tax* argument.) The Supreme Court agreed.*

But in 1968, the federal government banned importing military weapons on the grounds that the Second Amendment only protects guns with a *sporting purpose.* The Supreme Court agreed with that as well. In 1986, the government banned the manufacture of full-automatic and select-fire weapons. And since the only way to get one of these guns today is to buy one made and registered before 1986, a full-auto equivalent of the AR-15 will now cost you around $50,000. So unless you*re a wealthy person, or a member of the police (who can buy a new one for what it*s actually worth*around $1000) you can forget it.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/06/08/why-i-need-an-ar-15/
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Why I Need an AR-15 (one of the best Pro 2A articles I have ever read)

Well written.

HOWEVER: as the expression goes (don't know to whom I should rightfully offer attribution), the Bill of Rights is not the bill of 'needs.'
    Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Why I Need an AR-15 (one of the best Pro 2A articles I have ever read)

Yeah, this reminds me of the twisting they do with Miller v. United States: "Miller said SBS's can be banned since they have no military purpose, therefore implying the 2A only protects guns owned by the military".

Which is not what that decision said at all.

Here's an interesting one for them to consider, especially in light of the current hysteria over racism:

Dred Scott v. Sandford said, among other things, on the topic of whether Scott was a "citizen":

"For if they were so received, and entitled to the privileges and immunities of citizens, it would exempt them from the operation of the special laws and from the police regulations which they considered to be necessary for their own safety. It would give to persons of the negro race, who were recognised as citizens in any one State of the Union, the right to enter every other State whenever they pleased, singly or in companies, without pass or passport, and without obstruction, to sojourn there as long as they pleased, to go where they pleased at every hour of the day or night without molestation, unless they committed some violation of law for which a white man would be punished; and it would give them the full liberty of speech in public and in private upon all subjects upon which its own citizens might speak; to hold public meetings upon political affairs, and to keep and carry arms wherever they went."

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/fed...pinion-1964281
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

(Montgomery County)

I know a good reason as well, the Second Amendment was not instituted for the pleasure of shooting sports.

*For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.* Thomas Jefferson

*The ultimate authority...resides in the people alone...The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition.* James Madison