Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Spikes tactical 9mm AR pistol build issues

More tweaking tonight:

Took about 1/4” off the buffer bumper with the dremel. No change in lockup with a 17rd mag or with no mag. Still wont lock up properly. If i push up and tilt the mag forward (push back on the bottom), it will lock up. It also feeds properly when i do this. If i manually lock the bolt catch without a mag it will catch and slam shut most of the time (if i apply a lot if pressure to it and gently latch the CH it wont do it sometimes).

33rd mags lock up perfect on the bench.

Of note: the bolt catch has a lot of play in it side to side. I tightened down the pivot pin and no change. I want to get another bolt catch and swap it in, this one may be out of spec. It seems like the pivot point is too narrow. theres a gap and it slides around on the pivot pin, and when the bolt rests on it i noticed it will cock itself forward at an angle in the anchor point of the lower. I’ll try and post a pic.

Theres also a gap between the upper and the lower receiver. I found that when the bolt is locked open, if i push down on the rail to take up this gap it will slam the bolt shut. Another pic to come.

Also trying to bend the LRBHO eyelets in and squeezing them closed a bit to align the bar better. This system is kinda shitty
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; June 12th, 2021 at 10:33 AM.

Update:

Shot 2 stages today at pistol league with it after adjustments. Cycled and locked back fine when fired with 33rd and 17rd mags. Still wont lock back by hand with a 17rd and slams bolt closed.

Even fired and cycled aluminum case ammo, with one fail to feed due to operator error (he didnt seat the mag and let the bolt drop).

I’ll get a new bolt catch from Spikes or Odinworks and swap it in. Should fix the problem. Also may look into the wolff XP mag springs for the 17rd mags, although i may just order more 33rd mags and use those as dedicated mags for this pistol instead

Spikes is sending me 2 new bolt catches to try, no charge . One standard milspec, one enhances. Failing that, i’ll order a geissele maritime catch or a strike industries to try.

If none of that works, i’ll send the lower back to Spikes for warranty replacement

(Bucks County)

That is really good of them to send you the catches! Keep the updates coming. I always like seeing companies taking care of their customers.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Quick update:

I tried shimming with quarters in the buffer tube. No go on the quarters, it wouldnt lock the bolt back at all (too little travel to clear the bolt catch). That rules out short stroking, unless i need to take a touch off the buffer bumper.

I also tweaked the LRBHO and bent the mag follower tab down. Bench testing, no live fire It will lock open on an empty 33rd mag every time now. 17rd mags wont lock now. Its almost like the mag isnt putting enough upward pressure to push the lrbho bar at the bolt catch with enough force. I have to cycle it by hand violently to get it to lock 1/3 of the time on a 17rd mag. This setup is some serious short bus engineering.

Might try and pull the bolt catch and bend the tab for the LRBHO up a bit on that end. I dont see a spring in there and suspect the LRBHO lever acts as the bolt catch spring
    Try a different bolt hold open
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Try a different bolt hold open
    Spoke with spikes last week. They seem to think its the bolt catch and sent me 2 replacements. Should be delivered tomorrow.

I’ve tweaked the BHO as much as i can. If the catch doesnt fix anything, i may try ordering another bolt. May have to anyhow so the new drop in trigger works properly (or at the very least, modify my current one). Its 99% there, which is fine for now. This project is going to take a back seat for a minute while i pay off an overpriced glock 45 (the things we do for the people we care about )
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; June 20th, 2021 at 10:41 PM.

Bump and update:

Enhanced bolt catch installed, no change in hold open without mag inserted. Gen5 17rd mags wont hold open at all and bolt slams shut. The enhanced catch is meshing better with the bolt face.

Spikes said these are designed to work best with gen3/4 mag followers. Odd since the only difference i can find between them and gen 5 is the color (black vs orange). 33rd mags have black follower and have zero problems.

Original mag catch pivot pin was bent when i removed it. I stretched the bolt catch spring a bit too while it was out.

Next up is to swap buffer springs. I have a spare flat wound Tubbs spring i have left over from the ar10 build i can try, and will have to clip coils. Might be too much tension on the bolt with the Wolff XP spring, causing it to overcome the LRBHO tension. Everything i’ve read says DO NOT USE flatwound springs in blowback, so thats a last resort. Lighter buffer may be an option too.

Last thought is out of spec receiver or bolt. (upper or lower). When i take up the gap between the receivers the bolt will lock

Range testing is in order. I may just say fuck it and live with it as is...feeds, fires, and functions otherwise with anything i throw at it now.

Heading to the range tomorrow after UPS shows up with my FRT and i take the dog in for grooming appointment. Fingers crossed the trigger works without any major tuning required
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; June 22nd, 2021 at 09:27 PM.

Spoke with David Tubbs via email re: using his 308 flat wound spring. They suggested cutting 3 coils off, with a max of 7 coils being cut from the spring.

3 coils, no change. 7 coils, still no change without a mag in.

Going to take it to the range today and shoot with the flat wound spring less the 7 coils, see what happens. Next step is to contact Spikes again and have them send me another LRBHO assembly to swap in. Barring that, i’ll get another bolt.

FRT-15 came today too, once i see what happens with the Tubbs spring i’ll swap it in and shoot it.

That flat wound spring is a bitch to get in the tube. Hangs up on the detent

(Allegheny County)

Have you tried cutting out the part of the lower that takes Glock mags and replacing it with a section that accepts Colt SMG mags as God intended?

I mean, it sounds like you've cut everything else...

Sheesh. I hope you get it working. Gotta be frustrating.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Have you tried cutting out the part of the lower that takes Glock mags and replacing it with a section that accepts Colt SMG mags as God intended?

I mean, it sounds like you've cut everything else...

Sheesh. I hope you get it working. Gotta be frustrating.
    Eh, gives me something to do. I want to stick with glock mags just because its what i have and they are cheap/easy to get. Haven’t cut anything but the spare spring

Im not even sure i can modify it to take colt mags. Its a dedicated glock lower, magwell is cut specifically to glock mag specs (no adapter like you see on AR15 9mm builds)
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; June 23rd, 2021 at 04:21 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast