Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Legality of carrying your permit in your phone

Quote Originally Posted by V300 View Post
    Password protected partitions are in fact a thing.

Your ID and data are far more secure in an 8 digit password protected phone than they are in your pocket in a wallet which can easily be lost or stolen.

Also, I make it a definite habit to never put anything illegal on me, my person, my premises, or my phone.
    Oh, I*m sure they are, actually I*m not, but I*m open-minded enough that I*ll accept your word on it. My point though is that I*m old enough to have trouble with technology. I ain*t learning a whole lot more *millennial techie bullshit* at my age(61).
    Also, as you age,if you are lucky enough to, you*ll find you cannot recall the dozens ( literally 40+ in my case) of passwords, so you write them down. Even better, is the fact that, many of my work passwords have to be updated/changed on a time basis. some are monthly, quarterly, and my personal favorite, every 39 days. So, what does that guarantee? Yup, it gets written down! Oh what a gem of a security FAIL!
    I have a sheet, updated often, that I keep in. My safe, and when it gets updated, I take a picture of it and store in my phone buried in the middle of a file loaded with boring pics of equipment.

I live in Warminster. Maybe your local cops are all Eagle Scouts and virgins until marriage and blah blah blah. My local cops aren*t! I wouldn*t trust any of them with their filthy dick-beaters on my cell phone for two blinks of an eye.

But hey, you feel free to trust all of them and every heroin-addicted needle freak you encounter too if that blows your skirt up.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Oh, I*m sure they are, actually I*m not, but I*m open-minded enough that I*ll accept your word on it. My point though is that I*m old enough to have trouble with technology. I ain*t learning a whole lot more *millennial techie bullshit* at my age(61).
    That is a fair point.

Any crooked cop can just as easily tell you to get out of your car and search you and your car, if anything your phone gives you a higher level of security because unless you tell them, they pretty much would have to contract the NSA to crack a secured sim chip.

I am with you guys that don't trust cops though. I don't either.

I'll call my county's firearms permit section this week and ask, just so i can put a definitive answer up here if it ever comes up again.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by V300 View Post
    I'll call my county's firearms permit section this week and ask, just so i can put a definitive answer up here if it ever comes up again.
    Any LE agency is the last place you should call for legal advice. If you want the best answer possible, pay a versed attorney (who will likely give you the same answer you've already gotten here).

"The license" is a real tangible thing, in which courts have ruled you have an actual property interest, so if there is a scenario where you need "the thing", than that's what you need, not a facsimile. In a pinch, a photo of it MIGHT keep you out of jail, but making the photo your daily replacement is a really bad idea.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Any LE agency is the last place you should call for legal advice. If you want the best answer possible, pay a versed attorney (who will likely give you the same answer you've already gotten here).

"The license" is a real tangible thing, in which courts have ruled you have an actual property interest, so if there is a scenario where you need "the thing", than that's what you need, not a facsimile. In a pinch, a photo of it MIGHT keep you out of jail, but making the photo your daily replacement is a really bad idea.
    I would argue, that there is no requirement to be able to present your license to carry firearms at any time. Just proof of license, which you can easily do simply by providing your name, and they can call LTCF number.

Unlike say, a driver*s license where you are required to have it with you when operating a motor vehicle, and required to present it under defined circumstances.

Farther more: the usual outcome of
    Not having your driver license is to be required to present it to the cops within 3 days, if say, you forget it and get pulled over. Given that this is the common practice for something that the law says you have to carry on you, expecting more of a LTCF is unreasonable.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Also, as you age,if you are lucky enough to, you*ll find you cannot recall the dozens ( literally 40+ in my case) of passwords, so you write them down. Even better, is the fact that, many of my work passwords have to be updated/changed on a time basis. some are monthly, quarterly, and my personal favorite, every 39 days. So, what does that guarantee? Yup, it gets written down! Oh what a gem of a security FAIL!
    I have a sheet, updated often, that I keep in. My safe, and when it gets updated, I take a picture of it and store in my phone buried in the middle of a file loaded with boring pics of equipment.

I live in Warminster. Maybe your local cops are all Eagle Scouts and virgins until marriage and blah blah blah. My local cops aren*t! I wouldn*t trust any of them with their filthy dick-beaters on my cell phone for two blinks of an eye.

But hey, you feel free to trust all of them and every heroin-addicted needle freak you encounter too if that blows your skirt up.
    You really need to get a password manager, preferably one with two factor authentication.

They are
    Much more secure.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

So you show it to cop and he squints and says he can*t see it. You hand him the phone.
    Guess what you just did, Einstein? Yeah, gave him access to the whole thing, no search warrant needed!

Brilliant move, just brilliant.
    Good way to weed out a bad cop.

Had a very low budget MVA yesterday, caused
    By a medical condition. Driver had his insurance information on his phone.

Drive attempted to hand the phone to the officer.

Officer declined to take the phone, and said. “I’ll take a photo of it with my phone, that way you don’t have to surrender yours.”

I noticed. I should probably make a point of calling the police chief and saying something about how I appreciate the officer being not only conscientious of the citizens rights, but going out of his way to respect them.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Good way to weed out a bad cop.

Had a very low budget MVA yesterday, caused
    By a medical condition. Driver had his insurance information on his phone.

Drive attempted to hand the phone to the officer.

Officer declined to take the phone, and said. *I*ll take a photo of it with my phone, that way you don*t have to surrender yours.*

I noticed. I should probably make a point of calling the police chief and saying something about how I appreciate the officer being not only conscientious of the citizens rights, but going out of his way to respect them.
    But now the officer has a photo of the drivers license. He could utilize software to manipulate the info on it and commit all kinds of forgery and debauchery. He should sue and hold the company responsible.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I would argue, that there is no requirement to be able to present your license to carry firearms at any time. Just proof of license, which you can easily do simply by providing your name, and they can call LTCF number.
    § 6122. Proof of license and exception.

(a) General rule.--When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection. Failure to produce such license either at the time of arrest or at the preliminary hearing shall create a rebuttable presumption of nonlicensure.

(b) Exception.--An individual carrying a firearm on or about his person or in a vehicle and claiming an exception under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce satisfactory evidence of qualification for exception.

Notice, it says the person shall produce the license for inspection, not just proving you have a license by photo or other means. So yeah, you are expected to carry and be able to produce the license.

Would I accept running your info and finding out you have a LTCF? If everything else is on the up and up during our interaction, probably yeah.

And it's (15) days to produce your drivers license. Actually, it says you cannot be convicted (found guilty) for not having the license if you produce it within 15 days.

(Delaware County)

This topic comes up periodically here. Just look below the last comment for "similar threads" or here :https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=198616. Benn carrying a digital scan(laminated) in my wallet for years. Has all the info any PD should need. Of all the things in the wallet, the LTCF is the most pain to replace in this day and age. If any PD needs to see the original, then they can produce a demand letter. Take the letter with you to your lawyer and see how to proceed. (This is not legal advice). Ever watch Lone Star Law? Half the people when asked to produce a license, have an image on their phone they use. Now that is Texas and I know we are talking about PA so ...maybe GunLawyer or SigForLife could chime in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast